• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Rear Door Speakers

Jay FX4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
WARNING!!

The Ranger is a PIECE OF SHIT!!!! Don't change out your rear door speakers unless you want bullshit rattles even at volume 2!!! Or turn your bass all the way down so they sound like garbage...eliminating the whole point of "upgrading" you speakers! Once you pull off those door panels IT IS ALL OVER!!!!!!

What a total waste of money! I AM F***ING FURIOUS!!!!
I plastered the doors with Dynamat, sprayed expanding foam into every nook and cranny I could, replaced some of the POS door clips that were chewed up, and made sure that ALL of them were secured when I reinstalled the panel. And guess what? It sounds like COMPLETE SHIT! Now I'm screwed, because even if I put the stock speakers back in, they're going to sound like shit, too. Maybe even WORSE since I would have to pull the doors apart AGAIN!

I got an Infinity Basslink, haven't been able to hook it up because Crutchfield forgot to send me my wiring kit. So I know I could install the sub and turn the bass down on the speakers, but that's BULLSHIT, too. I should not have to adjust my stereo simply to compensate for BS rattles. The rattling should not be there. This is a crock of crap and a total joke.
Did I mention I'm F-ing FURIOUS?

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
v6 3.0
Transmission
Automatic
are you sure theres not like something down in the pocket in the door? iv had that happen, or make sure ALL the screws are back in or they will rattle non stop, i think the foam was over kill, slow down take your time and backtrack.

Ranger Sport Honduras

Zoom Zoom
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mitsubishi/Ford
Engine Size
3.0/2.3
My credo
Fortune Favors the Brave
chill man, check out the panels, to see where the rattles come from, are u sure the speaker's rear isnt vibrating against the door metal?
happended to me with the door speakers.
and get to install that mother f*ck*ng amp and sub!!! and tell me later if that doesnt kill any rattle sound...

Jay FX4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
I have chilled a little bit since that post. I scared myself there. I'm normally really mellow, but I was absolutely irate over this. Now I have cooled down to being very pissed off. The UPS guy came with my wiring kit just as I was finishing up the passenger side door. I drop kicked the box across the yard and slammed all 4 doors of the truck as hard as I possibly could. And this is 2 weeks after my back surgery. I'm sure I'm going to pay for this tomorrow morning. At least I was in the back yard where nobody could see my tantrum, because I never act like that.

are you sure theres not like something down in the pocket in the door? iv had that happen, or make sure ALL the screws are back in or they will rattle non stop, i think the foam was over kill, slow down take your time and backtrack.
All the clips are in. A few where chewed up, probably still useable, but I replaced the worst ones with brand new ones.
I think thats part of why I was so pissed off. I did take my time, went slow, made sure everything was perfect. I dreaded tearing the rear doors apart, and I told myself I was going to take them apart ONCE and never again. So I made sure I did everything I could to get it right. And look where it got me! Yeah, the foam was overkill, but i did the driver side first and it rattled bad so I tried the foam on the passenger side first. It didn't do anything, but at least I know it didn't make it worse.

chill man, check out the panels, to see where the rattles come from, are u sure the speaker's rear isnt vibrating against the door metal?
and get to install that mother f*ck*ng amp and sub!!! and tell me later if that doesnt kill any rattle sound...
I don't know where the rattles are coming from. I wish I did because then I could at least attempt to do something about it. I tried pushing in and pulling out all over the entire panel with the music on and nothing makes it go away.
Maybe the sub may drown it out, but that's unacceptable. I don't want to mask the problem, I want to eliminate it. Besides, it sounds absolutely AWFUL outside the truck. It's just as bad outside as it is inside. It's embarrassing. The truck is flawless in every way, except for the POS jalopy-like rattling sounds.

This shit ONLY HAPPENS TO ME. I swear, I could take somebody else's truck, do the exact same things in the exact same way, and it would come out perfect. I don't know what I did wrong in my life to deserve this punishment.

baxtej44

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Automatic
i somewhat understand your frustrations... but you're seriously overreacting.

you need to spend some time hunting down the rattles, you'd probably find them in a heart beat if you put all of this anger and frustration into your search...

Ranger Sport Honduras

Zoom Zoom
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mitsubishi/Ford
Engine Size
3.0/2.3
My credo
Fortune Favors the Brave
really weird... my bet is that the speakers are vibrating against something, have u tried the stock ones back?
the noise continues when the panel is off?
dont get too angry or u gonna damage some more things try to be calm, trust me i know its so frustrating when u try something and it doesnt work at first chance, really trust me... happens to me a lot, im getting used to it now tho

4x4fun

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
really?
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
its gotta be something small or something not even "inside" the doors i didnt have a problem with mine. also watch out with the can of foam, some tend to collect moisture. and you can run in to rust. but play the system and keep it low and tr and track it down.

Jay FX4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
i somewhat understand your frustrations... but you're seriously overreacting.

you need to spend some time hunting down the rattles, you'd probably find them in a heart beat if you put all of this anger and frustration into your search...
I know I'm overreacting to a certain extent. But with all the money I have spent - I demand excellence. But at the same time, it's not the fault of the speakers. Since I'm the one doing it, I suppose it's partially my fault, but I put most of the blame on the garbage door panels and the way they attach.
really weird... my bet is that the speakers are vibrating against something, have u tried the stock ones back?
the noise continues when the panel is off?
dont get too angry or u gonna damage some more things try to be calm, trust me i know its so frustrating when u try something and it doesnt work at first chance, really trust me... happens to me a lot, im getting used to it now tho
There was some vibration when the panel was off, but got considerably worse with the panel back on. If it would have sounded perfect with the panel off, I wouldn't have done the foam since that would mean the panel was the only problem. I have not tried putting the stock speakers back in. Here's why: When I first got the truck and was showing it to my father, we were just checking it out and I was curious as to how the rear doors came apart, since I didn't see any visible screws or clips. He said it just pulls apart. I said okay, I just wanted to know how it's done but I don't want to mess with it until the time comes that I decide to change the speakers, but he yanked the hell out of it anyway. Not the whole door but probably 3 or 4 of the clips. Ever since then, the driver side had a bad rattle. There was one clip in the lower left that wasn't in. I fixed it later, but it still rattled. So to make a short story long, that's why I haven't tried putting the stock speakers back in, because I know I will have the same problem.
I had read that write up about 5 times before I even attempted this. :bawling:

its gotta be something small or something not even "inside" the doors i didnt have a problem with mine. also watch out with the can of foam, some tend to collect moisture. and you can run in to rust. but play the system and keep it low and tr and track it down.
Of course you didn't have a problem with yours, you're not me! You're not cursed like I am. You're right, I don't think it's inside the door, even there was some vibration with the panel off. The problem got really bad with the panel back on, so it's probably safe to say that the big problem is coming from the panel.

I can take them apart again, but I don't know what I can do different, when I feel I've done everything I can to avoid the problems I'm having. If I knew for a fact that lining every last inch of the entire door with Dynamat would solve the problem, I'd do it in a hearbeat. But I really feel that wouldn't solve the issue, because that probably wouldn't dampen the vibrations enough to keep the panel from rattling, and I know others have had success without having to do that. Plus that stuff is expensive! And the guy who did the write up didn't use any.

FWIW, the Pioneer TS-D802P speakers I put in all 4 corners are hands down the absolute best car speakers I've ever heard, and I've heard a LOT. They go down to 35hz and thump so deep it's unreal. And the bass doesn't come at the expense of the mids/highs, as they sound outstanding as well. The high end of the frequency response goes well beyond the range of human hearing. To be honest, these speakers would probably find something to make rattle in any vehicle, they hit so hard. So I'm being realistic, I don't expect every last little rattle to be completely eliminated when I turn it up, but the door panel is still not right and I have to get it taken care of one way or another.
I think I might try to temporarily rig up the sub today, I'm eager to hear it! I'll keep the door problem in the back of my mind and brainstorm a bit.
Thanks so much for the replies, guys. I really appreciate you taking the time to read this. :icon_cheers:

mattpresley

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD F-250
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
WARNING!!

The Ranger is a PIECE OF SHIT!!!! Don't change out your rear door speakers unless you want bullshit rattles even at volume 2!!! Or turn your bass all the way down so they sound like garbage...eliminating the whole point of "upgrading" you speakers! Once you pull off those door panels IT IS ALL OVER!!!!!!

What a total waste of money! I AM F***ING FURIOUS!!!!
I plastered the doors with Dynamat, sprayed expanding foam into every nook and cranny I could, replaced some of the POS door clips that were chewed up, and made sure that ALL of them were secured when I reinstalled the panel. And guess what? It sounds like COMPLETE SHIT! Now I'm screwed, because even if I put the stock speakers back in, they're going to sound like shit, too. Maybe even WORSE since I would have to pull the doors apart AGAIN!

I got an Infinity Basslink, haven't been able to hook it up because Crutchfield forgot to send me my wiring kit. So I know I could install the sub and turn the bass down on the speakers, but that's BULLSHIT, too. I should not have to adjust my stereo simply to compensate for BS rattles. The rattling should not be there. This is a crock of crap and a total joke.
Did I mention I'm F-ing FURIOUS?
Your scaring me here jay:shok: take a breather. Any way maybe theres a screw in the doorpanel? I didn't have a problem but I had my speakers professionally installed at Empress Audio in Gulfport, MS

:headbang::icon_hornsup:

Last edited:

Toms01PSD

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
You've got me then. Pull the panels back off and pull that foamy crap out. That's where i'd start. Maybe try beating on the door with the palm of your hand and see if it will rattle with the panel off. You have something loose.

mattpresley

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD F-250
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
You've got me then. Pull the panels back off and pull that foamy crap out. That's where i'd start. Maybe try beating on the door with the palm of your hand and see if it will rattle with the panel off. You have something loose.
Do you think it may be the latch? I'm starting to think that because he says it rattles with the panel off

flyingbrick

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Jay your not the only one, I broke both of my rear door pannels trying to get them off. But I got lucky enough to not have rattles but it still bothers me to no end that I have a big crack in the one.

Jay FX4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Your scaring me here jay:shok: take a breather. Any way maybe theres a screw in the doorpanel? I didn't have a problem but I had my speakers professionally installed at Empress Audio in Gulfport, MS
:headbang::icon_hornsup:
I'm positive there's no screw in the door panel. I made extra sure of it, and it's the exact same rattle on both sides.

I have to rule out the foam, too. I installed the speaker and door panel in one door first. It rattled. I did the other side, spraying the foam when I did it, and it sounded the same as the side I hadn't spayed the foam on yet. So the foam didn't help, but it's not making it worse. I may still pull some of it out if it's going to collect moisture. But I didn't see any signs of moisture having gotten in there in the first place, which is why I felt comfortable using the foam.

[/QUOTE=mattpresley;489043]Do you think it may be the latch? I'm starting to think that because he says it rattles with the panel off[/QUOTE]

The rattling wasn't anywhere near as bad with the panel off. Pounding 35hz is going to make things rattle a little, I was expecting that. Hell, when I had all 4 speakers pounding, I think something was even rattling a little in the damn dashboard! With the door panel off, it might have been the seat belt parts rattling. Not sure.

I may end up taking it somewhere to be looked at, but I would rather fix it myself. Right now, I'm working on the sub.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals