• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Should I upgrade to a cold air intake?

thebigyellowtruck

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L 4 cylinder
Transmission
Automatic
I have a 1997 ranger with a 2.3L. I was told that it came from the factory with a cold air intake, is this true? If not do u have any suggestions for a cheap, but good quality cold air intake i could upgrade to? Or where i might be able to find it? thanks for the help.

Beanmachine7000

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Yes, your truck intakes air from in front of the grill... Can't get any colder than that...

thebigyellowtruck

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L 4 cylinder
Transmission
Automatic
thank you, where the cone seals with the inner fender there is a big gap, iwill probably just have to seal the gap with permatex, unless anyone has any ideas for me. thanks.

remington115

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.5l
Transmission
Manual
good as is, but a kn filter would help a bit, but when you clean it and then oil it again be sure not to over oil but cause that will mess up your mass air flow sensor

Bob Ayers

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
good as is, but a kn filter would help a bit, but when you clean it and then oil it again be sure not to over oil but cause that will mess up your mass air flow sensor
Nope, a K&N won't do a thing but gum up the MAF sensor, IAC valve, and throttle body! The K&N will also lighten your wallet. The OEM filter in the 2.3L is the same size as used in the 3.0L, and 4.0L, so it's way over designed for the 2.3L. The OEM system is a CAI.

Beanmachine7000

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Nope, a K&N won't do a thing but gum up the MAF sensor, IAC valve, and throttle body! The K&N will also lighten your wallet. The OEM filter in the 2.3L is the same size as used in the 3.0L, and 4.0L, so it's way over designed for the 2.3L. The OEM system is a CAI.
+1... My 4.0L never had a problem with the exact same size filter yours has, and it sucks way more air...

thebigyellowtruck

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L 4 cylinder
Transmission
Automatic
thanks, i guess i will just have to try to find the airduct behind the headlight and hook it back up to the cone enclosure, right now its so loose im sucking mostly engine compartment air.

thebigyellowtruck

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L 4 cylinder
Transmission
Automatic
is there any way i can convert my intake duct into a ram air style system? i have an idea how to do it with some pvc pipe and some sheet steel. has anyone ever done this before or have any suggestions?

Bob Ayers

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
is there any way i can convert my intake duct into a ram air style system? i have an idea how to do it with some pvc pipe and some sheet steel. has anyone ever done this before or have any suggestions?

The MAF sensor was designed to accurately measure the volume of air being pulled by the engine. Anything you do (like a ram air style system) will throw the accuracy of the MAF system off, and cause you nothing but trouble.

Beanmachine7000

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Ram Air doesn't work honestly... Maybe if you are going 100+ MPH all the time... I doubt you'll be doing that though...

thebigyellowtruck

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L 4 cylinder
Transmission
Automatic
thank you, i will leave it how it is, i was just wondering if there is anything i could do to increase performance, but it seems like i should just leave it how it is. Thank you.

Byrd

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
67'
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
352 soon to be 460
Transmission
Automatic
thank you, i will leave it how it is, i was just wondering if there is anything i could do to increase performance, but it seems like i should just leave it how it is. Thank you.
A proper tune up and an oil change will do you more for you money than just about anything else with these little 4 bangers. (better MPG, better breathing, cleaner burning, smoother rotating assy.) As far as daily drivers go at least.

After that, start looking at your wallet because actual performance is spendy with these little guys. (google esslinger :D)

-Byrd

shadetree

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Explorer Sport
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
http://www.knfilters.com/MAF/massair.htm

:)shady
The MAF sensor was designed to accurately measure the volume of air being pulled by the engine. Anything you do (like a ram air style system) will throw the accuracy of the MAF system off, and cause you nothing but trouble.
The MAF measures mass/density, and temperature. From that it computes volume from a set of tables. The "vane air flow" meter measures volume.

Using a so called "ram air" will not bother the sensor. You have to overcome the amount of air the system is already flowing to have enough effect to require re-tuning the maf. To supply this amount of air, you would have to move at speeds not capable by your truck. You can super/turbocharge a maf.:)shady

Last edited:

Bob Ayers

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
http://www.knfilters.com/MAF/massair.htm

:)shady

The MAF measures mass/density, and temperature. From that it computes volume from a set of tables. The "vane air flow" meter measures volume.

Using a so called "ram air" will not bother the sensor. You have to overcome the amount of air the system is already flowing to have enough effect to require re-tuning the maf. To supply this amount of air, you would have to move at speeds not capable by your truck. You can super/turbocharge a maf.:)shady
Anything that causes turbulence across the MAF sensor will screw up the measurement! A supercharger, or turbocharger goes behind the MAF sensor, NOT in front of it!!

wahlstrom1

J-man HD Mech
OTOTM Winner
2011 Truck of The Year
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
Granted I have a 4.0L that uses a lot more air, but when I installed just a filter on the end of the MAF using a plumbing adapter flange I noticed quite a difference (for the better) in throttle response and in addition to a free'r flowing exhaust noticed a mileage increase as well.

I used the top left adapter shown in the link and hooked it straight to the MAF on mine with the filter mounted on the 3" flange.

http://www.therangerstation.com/tech_library/airintake.htm

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals