• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Some info on leveling a TIB and shocks

Tractor Dan

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Alright, got the video made and posted, just waiting for YouTube to process it :icon_thumby: Kind of excited to actually be a contributing member of the forum haha :yahoo: (Plus I've been looking for an excuse to use that smiley)

See the video here when it's processed :headbang:
Thanks for the vid. It seems easy enough though when it comes to the springs, how hard is it with a spring compressor? Also if i have the springs out good idea just to paint them while i'm at it? Now the camber bushings and alignment. If i do it at my friends place my allignment/tire shop is about 5 to 10 miles from his house. Is it driveable for that or better off to just trailer it there? Driving would be easier. Ohh yeah. My friend has a vehicle lift since they do derby cars would that make the job any easier?

Dan

RangerRyan88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks for the vid. It seems easy enough though when it comes to the springs, how hard is it with a spring compressor? Also if i have the springs out good idea just to paint them while i'm at it? Now the camber bushings and alignment. If i do it at my friends place my allignment/tire shop is about 5 to 10 miles from his house. Is it driveable for that or better off to just trailer it there? Driving would be easier. Ohh yeah. My friend has a vehicle lift since they do derby cars would that make the job any easier?

Dan
Spring compressor won't be needed to pull them out, but getting them back in will make life a whole lot easier. Yeah absolutely if you wanna clean up the springs and paint them that's a perfect time to do it! I would have too but it turned into a rush project when I bought wrong parts :annoyed: And sorry if I blew the alignment stuff out of proportion, it'll still be perfectly drivable, just with visibly out-of-spec camber and toe lol. You'll be fine to go 10 miles or a little more :icon_thumby: And I would say almost definitely a real lift would make things easier :headbang:

DangerRanger3

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
hey nice vid, i've been thinking about doing this to my 96 ranger for awhile now. It only has 43k miles on it, so I know the shocks have to be in decent condition, but it really rides pretty rough. I saw you said the f-150 shocks provided a smoother ride, I was wondering if thats still the case? Was the difference noticeable enough to warrant the money and install? Also, is it very difficult to install new shocks?

RangerRyan88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
hey nice vid, i've been thinking about doing this to my 96 ranger for awhile now. It only has 43k miles on it, so I know the shocks have to be in decent condition, but it really rides pretty rough. I saw you said the f-150 shocks provided a smoother ride, I was wondering if thats still the case? Was the difference noticeable enough to warrant the money and install? Also, is it very difficult to install new shocks?
Yeah the F150 shocks are still riding great, now I'm trying to figure something out for the bouncy-ass rear end :icon_twisted: I would definitely recommend doing the shock swap too since, more importantly, your stock shocks are going to be VERY limited on droop travel (mine got stretched out at ride height!) Now let's see if I can word this coherently..

The fact that they're F150 shocks provide the length needed, and from what I can tell the softer ride is from the shocks being velocity sensitive. Basically I'm not going to guarantee that any F150 shocks you use will ride as nice, but I can vouch that the Sensa-Trac's do ride great :icon_thumby:

And on the difficulty of installing the shocks, that's as simple as 2 bolts. One word of advice though, (I learned the hard way) get the shocks seated on the mounts FIRST and THEN cut the retainer or you're gonna have a hell of a time compressing the shock back to get it in.

Well, sorry for the novel haha hope that helps!

JonBsbB

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Ryan you said you used 93 F150 4x4 monroe shocks? did you get the shock for the f150 with quad suspension, or w/o quad suspension?

This one has the same sized mounting points, but is the outer shock on a quad suspension f150...

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals