• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Dialup...

74duster318

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 and 302
Transmission
Manual
Lightning fast 26.4kbps...
Minimum of 4 redials before it actually connects. (it's to keep you guessing)
Random, yet frequent, disconnects.
Pictures?...What are pictures??
Videos!?!?!? Well now you're just fawkin crazy...

:pissedoff::pissedoff::pissedoff::pissedoff:
________
California mdecial marijuana dispensaries

Last edited:

triumphrider-1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford F150
Engine Size
3.7L
Transmission
Automatic
:icon_rofl: I know how you feel, well I used to.

Yeah, pictures and videos...what are those?

Should check and see if you can get the DSL through your hone company, or anothe one. We did and it is a lot better, 750kbps vs. 28.8kbps, but we still pay the same price as we were paying for dial-up.

Jorley

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8 duraspark
Transmission
Manual
I'm right there with you.Don't forget the 3 day downloads that keep getting disconnected. They don't have DSL yet where I live. It's still 2-3 miles away.

74duster318

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 and 302
Transmission
Manual
:icon_rofl: I know how you feel, well I used to.

Yeah, pictures and videos...what are those?

Should check and see if you can get the DSL through your hone company, or anothe one. We did and it is a lot better, 750kbps vs. 28.8kbps, but we still pay the same price as we were paying for dial-up.
The only thing available out here, as of now, is satellite internet/tv, and this new wireless internet service (which requires installation of a tower, unless there is a direct line of sight to another tower in the area).

Both are light years faster. Satellite has bad reviews out here though, and the speed varies all the time. It's also about half as fast as this wireless that just came in. Hopefully tomorow will bring good news, and maybe dialup will be nonexistent in this house in a week or two.
________
Avandia class action settlement

Last edited:

Jim Oaks

Just some guy with a website
Administrator
Founder / Site Owner
Supporting Vendor
Article Contributor
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1996 / 2021
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 / 2.3 Ecoboost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6-inches
Tire Size
33x12.50x15
The only reason I had a phone line was for dialup. I use my cell phone for all phone calls. Heck, I haven't talked on a normal phone in a long time.

I was sick of dial-up and went to Alltel and got their internet service. Stuck the card in my computer, loaded the software and began surfing the net at an amazing speed.

The cost of the wireless internet didn't seem that much more after I got rid of the phone line I no longer needed.

Will

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Toyota
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I had dial-up until my wife needed to work from home for a few months. We got satellite. It was hard to do because of the rocky ground and the hills and trees. I had to dig the hole for the post--with a tankers bar through a chunk of limestone. The little auger the installer had was a joke. I brush my teeth with with something more powerful.

The dial-up was reliable and slow. The satellite is good in bursts and not that relaible. It's almost reliable. My wife has a card like Jim describes, but it doesn't work here because there are no towers for it in line of site. You can get a signal with a cellphone if you climb the old TV aerial. It's pretty scary though.

Someday we'll get something good. But I don't really care. I was fine with dial-up.

rboyer

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.hoe
Transmission
Manual
If you have an unlimited data plan on your cell phone you CAN tether it to your computer an use it to connect to the internet at faster than dialup speeds. The only problem is that most providers have a clause in the contract stating that they can terminate your service if you tether without paying for the proper plan. The funny part is that they don't really have a solid way to determine if you're linking it to your laptop.

Sunk

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.5 Eco
Transmission
Automatic
If you've got cell-phone reception where you're at and you want to upgrade, I'd look into Clearwire. I've got it, and unless ne f my friends is streaming video, it's just as fast as DSL. I was looking at it at Circuit City a few days ago, and I think it was a few hundred to buy the stuff, then like $4 a month for the service with a contract.

The only reason we have it is another friend didn't want it. His apartment came with it, but since he has 3 roommates who use the internet heavily, they went for Comcast. The modem works anywhere there is reception, so he gave it to us to use for the length of his lease, and it's free so we can't complain.

Jaymz9350

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Transmission
Manual
If you have an unlimited data plan on your cell phone you CAN tether it to your computer an use it to connect to the internet at faster than dialup speeds. The only problem is that most providers have a clause in the contract stating that they can terminate your service if you tether without paying for the proper plan. The funny part is that they don't really have a solid way to determine if you're linking it to your laptop.
That is if you can get a good data signal. Me and my wife used her treo for internet for a while and barely got dial-up speeds (phone worked just fine) but since we had no landline it was pretty much the only option.

Hewgull

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Pontiac
Engine Size
2.2 liters of clankity bang
Transmission
Manual
I've got satellite internet where I am. That was the only option besides dial up.

sbsumerix

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
yeah im in college best place for internet they have it everywhere and its all faster then the dial up i have at home you can hardly get on a website with netzero its the worst internet ever and we have the turbo version and if you lose turbo speed you cant get on at all it sucks i hate it but we are to far out in the middle of nowhere to get anything better

BLOODBANE

V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORDFORD
Engine Size
347, 4.oh
Transmission
Automatic
I just went to Alltel wireless as well Jim. It works O.K. but I miss my highspeed Qwest(they don't have it were Im at now)......

Kdawg532

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0 V6 God's gift to man
Transmission
Manual
dude i had the verizon Wireless USB aircard and it was fast as crap, for 60 dollars a month it was worth it, but i switched to comcast cause i use xbox live comcast is amazing they have the comcast fiberoptics out where i live (yes in the boondocks of Maryland) and i have a 27 meg downspeed and a 3 meg up i pay 59.95 a month for it

74duster318

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 and 302
Transmission
Manual
dude i had the verizon Wireless USB aircard and it was fast as crap, for 60 dollars a month it was worth it, but i switched to comcast cause i use xbox live comcast is amazing they have the comcast fiberoptics out where i live (yes in the boondocks of Maryland) and i have a 27 meg downspeed and a 3 meg up i pay 59.95 a month for it
I looked at those laptop wireless cards at bestbuy once. Different companies, different coverage, many different plans. Don't those have plans based on how much data is sent? Like if you download a shit ton of movies, you need a huge plan? That's the impression I got from the guy blabbering on about it. I wasn't really interested in it at the time, because I was back in Ohio with roadrunner.

Never did get to call that wireless place today, but it's on my agenda for tomorow a.m. Gotta get rid of this stone age shit. I can't believe my dad runs his business with this...
________
Kitchen Measures

Last edited:

Ranger#1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
im on my neabors wirless network and hes got dsl :headbang::thefinger::icon_idea: but he doesent know

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals