• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Cougar 3.8 to swap into my 2.3 Ranger

Roger

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Just to get it out of the way, WHY do I want to do this swap?

Because I can get the whole running 91 Cougar for FREE! Thats why! And no, I don't need a car at this point so I'm stripping and scrapping the rest.

So the motor and electroncis are from a 91, the Ranger is a 1990 regular, regular bed 4x4, 2.3 and 5 speed.

So, my first question is how hard will it be to get the engine harness for the 3.8 to work with the rest of the Ranger harness? I do not expect plug and play, but the easier this goes the better.

Second, what auto comes in the Cougar? Is there a 4X4 tailshaft to match it to the 1354 electric Tcase?

Since this truck is getting a SAS with a D30 and y-link radius arm setup, I'm fabbing a trans crossmember anyway, and cutting/trimming/shaping the original engine crossmember too. I already built motormounts for the 2.3, I can modify/alter them for the 3.8.

Tips and advice appreciated. I've pulled this motor three times for motormounts (hence the fabbed ones) and we did a cab swap this past year with humorous issues along the way (88 cabs and 90 cabs have very little in common!!).

feellnfroggy

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
A couger of that year is obviously rear wheel drive and most likely a similar driveline to the mustangs of 94 and the t-bird supercoupes. It might be easier to search the swap based off the thunderbird or mustang than the couger as they are more common, but if you have the cougar complete, then you basically swap everything, engine tranny wiring harness, computer, everything. Talk to the v8 guys, the swap is different parts but the principles are the same.

Another thing, the 4.2 crank assembly drops right into the 3.8 (its basically a stroked 3.8 from factory) this would be a good upgrade for a torq-ee-er engine. DISREGARD SPELLING

Let me know how it turns out, i have a 2000 mustang that I'm gettin bored with. Also check out supersix motorsports.com, they can tell you anything you wanna know about the v-6. Also they have badass performance kits.

Mods: I dont believe supersix has a competing blog. If they do let me know I will edit this.

Last edited:

Roger

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Oh goodness... One could spend a lot of money at that site! Thanks!

But they don't have a forum on their site.

Last edited:

pssnmn1

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.3 l l4
Transmission
Manual
the tranny should be an aod-e
i don't know if will bolt to your 1354 but....

the aod-e did come behind the 4.9l inline 6 in newer f-150's and they where
offered in 4wd with that combo.

i did a similar swap for a buddy of mine but it was a bronco 2 with a 342 stroker, bowler built aod, atlas 2 t-case, custom everything else and i mean custom the guy has more money than brains but it was his dime .

bad thing was after completeing the boxed reinforced powder-coated frame
with custom made currie axles front and rear and 450hp on tap the guy rolled thing of a cliff at Moab at the jeep safahari 2 years ago.
and get this my buddy crawls out of his rig after a 30+ft drop and calls me on his cell to tell me i made him a good roll bar and hangs up and doesn't call me back till he gets out of the hospital to tell me he wants build something bigger.

go :annoyed:figure

turbo cat

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
exploder
Engine Size
4.0ohv turbocharged
Transmission
Manual
well the 3.8 in those years barely make 140hp, they have head design issues that wipe out the headgaskets quick like. You can make it work but idk just dosent seem worth it

fixizin

FoMoCo is forcing me to buy a 'yota
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
XL Spurt
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0 (Flex)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
A properly suspensioned Ranger can be safely airborne for up to 4 seconds at a time! =:O
well the 3.8 in those years barely make 140hp, they have head design issues that wipe out the headgaskets quick like. You can make it work but idk just dosent seem worth it
That's just downright DISGRACEFUL!... must've been something mktg. and/or upper mgt. forced the engineers to put out under protest. :sad:

Perhaps you could add the "split-port" (variable length runners) intake manifold, and other mods, which boosted the HP of later versions of the 3.8?? :icon_confused:

Otherwise, a measly 140HP, especially driving a lame auto tranny, is NOT going to be very rewarding for all the work it will take... MAKE IT COUNT! :icon_thumby: Maybe get the Eaton supercharger that came on its sister car, the t-bird supercoupe?

feellnfroggy

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
That's just downright DISGRACEFUL!... must've been something mktg. and/or upper mgt. forced the engineers to put out under protest. :sad:

Perhaps you could add the "split-port" (variable length runners) intake manifold, and other mods, which boosted the HP of later versions of the 3.8?? :icon_confused:

Otherwise, a measly 140HP, especially driving a lame auto tranny, is NOT going to be very rewarding for all the work it will take... MAKE IT COUNT! :icon_thumby: Maybe get the Eaton supercharger that came on its sister car, the t-bird supercoupe?
Yes its a single port intake, the supercharger from the thuderbird will be a direct fit, maybe minor mods. 3.8mustang and v6power.net have guy that built intake adapters and kits if it dont fit. The power can easily be bumped up to 200. Or if you have the money, there are guys with streetable 4.2 strokers pushing 6-800 hp. Im afraid thats maximum power though. If he goes split port there are turbo and centri kits that will send him through thet roof for power. The auto can easily be swapped for a 5 spd. All the 3.8 manuals use I believe t-45. However there are some t-56 and tremec swap kits avail as well.
Oh also for the split port guys, on those sites they have adapter plates to fit the supercoupe supercharger on our cars. And they have an M90 eaton adapter kits as well.

feellnfroggy

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Oh goodness... One could spend a lot of money at that site! Thanks!

But they don't have a forum on their site.
yes they do have a forum,

MAranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
245c.i.
Transmission
Manual
You could go divorced case as you'll probably have to make drivshafts/move your crossmember anyway

red85

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
306 ci
Transmission
Automatic
The 3.8 SC motors share a block and heads with the NA 3.8's and that's about it. A good friend of mine is in the process of doing a 3.8SC in his 94 Mustang and he has changed quite a few of the external parts with the SC stuff. If you decide to go this route make sure you get all of the wiring, fuel system, and sensors from an SC car. There were quite a few fitment issues that cropped up for my friend as well. Little things like IC tubing that interfered with the master cylinder etc... He's now saving his pennies for a proper tune. The electronics are quite different according to him. SCT will do the tune for that setup. Another $1000 and it'll all be done. I'll see if I have pics and post them up.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals