• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Build your own engine thread

Angie

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
92 & 83 project
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.0L 302
Transmission
Automatic
Very curious as to how many of you/us build your own engines, in the past and still today?

what engines have you built and what problems you finding today in parts styles, or procedures?

Myself, have built (all fords) 351C 302, 4.L 2.8

currently 2.8 and a 4.0 - 410 cam one sitting waiting for my attention again ....

And basic problem is finding parts that are carried in parts stores ... stuff on line is out there .... but what a hassle sometimes.

sitting on shop floor are ... 1968 engine (bought as a back up for current truck) 302 90's roller, 3 X 4.L engines and have 3 X 2.8's for future hoardings (parts)

My intention with the 302 is to eventually pull the cam and lifters out of it and get them custom ground for future project, as same with 1 of the 2.8's. then engine currently building has a custom 4000 rpm grind in it from same custom shop. for future uses.

from all the problems with "new" shafts and lifters, it is a gamble to go new for bad steel and workmanship in the "out of box" stuff.... have you experienced bad supplies?

cheers

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
Yeah, parts are a struggle right now and have been for a couple years, not too long ago there was a national lifter shortage, now block and cylinder head castings and all sorts of other random stuff... we do engine stuff at work and it's a real struggle with the shortages and companies going out of business or getting bought out and discontinuing random stuff (like Wix was bought out last year and discontinued some things we use at work)

As for what I've rebuilt myself it's pretty much Lima 2.3L (times 2 or 3) and Geo Tracker 1.6L for myself but have worked on the internals of 2.4L through 10.3L GM based engines at work including some fancy LS based stuff and the newer DI engines... like 7 years ago when I was building my 2.3L I had a hard time finding valve springs... forged pistons are normally hard to find affordably for Lima's anyway...

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
I haven’t built any yet, but it’s on the to-do list. I’ve stripped a number of 2.9 and 4.0 motors down to the block and done some work on the top end. Also tore a 302 down that far now. A 460 is next for that.

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
It's been about 4 decades since I did a total rebuild on a 351 Cleveland. Recently did a bottom end on a 460 for a friend. I have 2.3 and a 460 waiting for me to rebuild them. And possibly a 4.0.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Did a cam and head swap on my 302.

I would like to find a roller 302 to rebuild but I am starting to think they are going the way of the flathead.

G8orFord

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC S/C
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
Just the right size to touch the ground.
I built multiple 302s, 2.0's & 2.3's back in the 70's and 80's. A 351w or two a 400m, 360's & 390's. I think there was a 300 or 240 I-6 in there somewhere too as far as old Fords go. A Jeep 360, a few small block GMs, several '80s GM 350 diesels (POS). Some were ground up builds others more like patch jobs. More recent Ford builds are a full rebuild of a '99 5.4 about 10 years ago, then a partial rebuild of a 4.6 a year or two later. The most recent being the complete rebuild of my 4.0 DOHC. That one still haunts me because I've yet to tear back into it to see what gave up under WOT. Maybe one day.

Edit: Forgot the 6.0 diesel head gasket job along with the stage 2 camshaft replacement. Replaced and updated several other parts while in there, but only in the top end. There are likely several others too. I know there's a few tractor engines in there somewhere.

SenorNoob

TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1.5" Front + 4" Rear
Tire Size
245-70-R16
Recently tore down 2 opposed twin Briggs. One 14hp vertical and one 16HP horizontal. Made a 15hp Horizontal. LOL
Before that top end service the XL350.
I've had an 86 2.3 down to the block and swapped.
The first work I ever did was taking 2 5hp Briggs horizontals and building one. Dad handed me an adjustable wrench and made the mistake of telling me that if I could get the engine to run he would buy the rest of a go-kart.

I want to find a replacement 4.0 OHV to slowly prep for my truck. Probably just end up changing gaskets unless it had obvious damage tho.

rusty ol ranger

Im a Jeep guy now.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
Ive done quite a few small engines.

Had a hand in building a few 454s for mud trucks, thats been 20+ years ago though.

Tore down an Olds 350 once.

Ive actually never did a full teardown and rebuild totally on my own though.

I think my first is going to be one of my beloved 2.9s. Id really like to find a bare 351W and build for my LTD...or possibly a 400 if i felt real froggy.

Blmpkn

Toilet enthusiast
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2.5"
Tire Size
285/75/18
My credo
Its probably better to be self deprecating than self defecating.
First motor I "built" started as a 23 or 24cc 2 stroke and ended up at 32.5cc iirc, big bore top end and a +2mm stroker crank, whoppin tuned pipe, no silencer. it was on a hard tire goped and was scary AF lol.

The other motor was a predator 212 for a yard kart. Enough compression to constantly ruin the pull start cup/hub thing and would spin 9200 rpm.

Anything bigger I leave to someone with all the space, tools, and experience.

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
I’ve never tore into any small engines yet, but that’s something I would like to learn. Doesn’t seem overly complicated, but it would be nice if someone that knew what they were doing would be around when I tear into my first one…

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
If you count small engines I've done a bunch, mostly 2 stroke from little RC engines to chainsaws, they don't scare me much other than the newer EPA carb stuff and those with two throttles and other odd things... I've even monkeyed with port timing a bit on weedeater engines... I've rebuilt the top end of my 350X 3 wheeler, did the top end on the 350 Foreman 4 wheeler I got cheap from an auction. For the bigger mower engines and such I pretty much stick to ignition and carb repairs as most aren't worth pulling the cranks out and such if you can find a used engine, even a basket case can be put together if you have one close enough to the same...

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
I put a big bore kit in a Husqvarna 372XP chainsaw, that involved a total teardown and reassemble. I haven't done a full rebuild on any multiple cylinder engine yet.

19Walt93

Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3"
Tire Size
235/55R16
My credo
If you don't have time to do it right will you have time to do it over?
I worked as a mechanic from 72-82 when I was "promoted" to service manager and I've always built my own stuff as well, starting with air cooled VW's at about age 13. I've built over 80 VW engines, one Olds 455, countless Ford Kent 1600's, 2000's(EAOs and Limas) 2300's, one Taurus 2.5 HSC, 200 and 250 sixes, very few 300's, many 255, 289, 302, and 351 W engines, a few 351C's, lots of 351M's and 400's. No 429/460's. I went to new model school for the 82's when the 3.8 was introduced but never did more than fix a few oil leaks- they only used head gaskets, everything else was silicone sealer that didn't seal. The key is finding a GOOD machine shop, keeping things clean, and reading the manual because specs matter.
And using good parts. If the box says made in China, send it back.

rusty ol ranger

Im a Jeep guy now.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
I’ve never tore into any small engines yet, but that’s something I would like to learn. Doesn’t seem overly complicated, but it would be nice if someone that knew what they were doing would be around when I tear into my first one…
Start on an early OHV briggs. Simple and stuff that can be applied to bigger engines.

Blmpkn

Toilet enthusiast
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2.5"
Tire Size
285/75/18
My credo
Its probably better to be self deprecating than self defecating.

Small engines are an absolute cakewalk, especially if they're configured like the 212 I built. Pretty much as easy to mess around with as any two stroke.. apart from needing a piston ring compressor.. which I just ended up making out of an Arizona iced tea can and a hose clamp lol. Hell.... I didn't even need a spring compressor when I put in the beefy valve springs that big cam needed.. thumbs worked good enough.

Some of them are a bit more complicated than others though.. I know some small motors that come on snowblowers use both the crank AND the cam as PTO's.. never seen inside one of those.. seems to complicated for me anyhow.. a snowblower with "one" pulley off the crank will blow snow just as good as any other... it'll just be easier to repair/modify 🤷‍♀️

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals