• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Should I buy this rear axel for my 2003 Ranger Edge?

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Bad choice of words, I actually should used "engaged" instead of locked.

00t444e

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger ext cab
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
The down side of lockers is increased tire wear.
I think you mean a spool, a locker has the ability to lock and unlock so you can turn without skipping the tires. A spool locks both axle shafts together to spin at the same speed all the time so you will chirp or skip the tires in every turn which will wear your tires out quicker.

Josh B

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
What do you mean by "locked in"? The limited slip isn't a locker so it is never "locked" however there is always pressure being applied to the clutches.
Yeah, this brought me back to an older thread where "locked in" got tossed around far too much, and it seemed like the twilight zone. "Engaged" is more the term I suppose, even though it is locked (at least I cannot unlock it, it will do what it does regardless) The front rarely sees this type of turn while Engaged, and I just tested the rear in reverse 2WD and it will not grab no matter how sharp I turn it.

This was the photo I used to show the back turning in 4WL

Attachments

Last edited:

Roert42

RBV's on Boost
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Agreed. And new bearings and seals are all included.

Do you like the Trac-Lok?
The one I stalled myself I liked, but I only had it for about 1000 miles before the truck got totaled.

I also have a factory 8.8 with a trak-lok in it on my mustang I love it. I believe it has around 120,000 miles on it. That car is fantastic in the snow.

Lefty

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Edge
Transmission
Automatic
The one I stalled myself I liked, but I only had it for about 1000 miles before the truck got totaled.

I also have a factory 8.8 with a trak-lok in it on my mustang I love it. I believe it has around 120,000 miles on it. That car is fantastic in the snow.
And it's never required a rebuild?

ummduh

V8 Engine Swap
RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2000?
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
4/5
Like 00t44e said, the axles aren't locked together. Pressure is applied to the clutch packs that limits how much they slip. Most limited slip systems increase pressure as more slip happens to a certain point. Typically somewhere around 50%. This is a simplistic explanation though. There is much more to it and more than what I can explain. Ronny Dahl did a video or two on the subject comparing open differentials, limited slip differentials, and locking differentials. Now, he is going at the subject from an off road driving perspective. So, for an only on road driver, the information is going to be a bit skewed but useful none the less. I'm sure there are other youtube channels that cover the subject as well.

There is no function in a Trac-Lok that can apply "extra" pressure. The same pressure is applied at all times no matter the condition. There is a single "S" spring that side loads the friction discs in a Trac-Lok.

They really are marginal units. If you want a stock style drive, they're it.

Roert42

RBV's on Boost
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
And it's never required a rebuild?
I've never rebuilt it, and it still works properly. The only maint that's been done is a an oil change with new friction modifier after about 100K miles or so. A lot of those miles are highway miles, but there are quite a few burnouts and drifting around in gravel lots type stuff too.

Lefty

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Edge
Transmission
Automatic
I've never rebuilt it, and it still works properly. The only maint that's been done is a an oil change with new friction modifier after about 100K miles or so. A lot of those miles are highway miles, but there are quite a few burnouts and drifting around in gravel lots type stuff too.
And for the most part, it drives like a standard 2WD, open style differential...except for burnouts, gravel roads, and heavy snow?

Roert42

RBV's on Boost
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
And for the most part, it drives like a standard 2WD, open style differential...except for burnouts, gravel roads, and heavy snow?
You will not notice any wheel hop or dragging or anything like that, if that's what you are asking.

You'll will see a difference in slippery conditions where you would normally have one tire slip and be stuck. Either you wouldn't slip at all because you have twice the traction or both tires will spin and your rear end will go side ways.

That last part is the big down side to a LSD or locker. A lot less likely to loose traction, but when you do, it can be a problem. Open diff, when you lose traction, you just stop moving and one tire spins. LSD or Locked rear, if you lose traction, you can start to spin around.

superj

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger edge
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3 liters of tire smoking power
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
none
Total Drop
none
Tire Size
235s
My credo
Grew up in the 70s, 80s, and 90s
that is what happened to my wife and why she wanted the lsd removed from her car. it went around on her on a road that someone had spilled gravel on at the edge of a driveway

Roert42

RBV's on Boost
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
that is what happened to my wife and why she wanted the lsd removed from her car. it went around on her on a road that someone had spilled gravel on at the edge of a driveway

I think that's part of why Ford doesn't sell them as an option any more. It's either open, awd, or an E-locker.
Too many people that don't know how to drive and then blame the equipment when then get in an accident.

TDI Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I installed a level 2 axle, with the torsen locker in my truck. I shouldn't have been, but I was a little surprised how easily the rear end of these trucks will brake loose and try to swap sides. I misjudged how fast a car was speeding once and pulled out in front of them. I got in the gas heavy and was a little surprised when the rear broke loose even with brand new K02's. Off road, I have found you still need 4wd. It's just too light in the rear.

Lefty

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Edge
Transmission
Automatic
Limited slip or a locker can break loose, of course. 4WD can break loose too. I remember some dicey moments driving my old Jeep CJ5, mostly when I hit ice. Even the best stuff will fail at the worst times. When it does, it's a case of driver error.

My reg cab Ranger weighs about 3,000 pounds. That's 500 lbs lighter than a Mustang. It's got the fiberglass flareside box that's even lighter than the fleetside. Throwing 500 lbs of gravel bags in the bed helps to balance and calm the back end down.

Limited slip will also help. So will conservative driving.

Blmpkn

Toilet enthusiast
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2.5"
Tire Size
285/75/18
My credo
Its probably better to be self deprecating than self defecating.
Idk how all you guys drive who say you've experienced accidental/unintended back-end dancing but damn.. I've never ever gotten any of that except in snow lol. It's a bummer to be honest.

Lefty

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Edge
Transmission
Automatic
Idk how all you guys drive who say you've experienced accidental/unintended back-end dancing but damn.. I've never ever gotten any of that except in snow lol. It's a bummer to be honest.
Three words here, "except in snow." And of course, there's no snow ever in southern Maine.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals