• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Hydrogen??

Dryoo7

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I have read the thread on why Hydrogen units DON'T work. Please explane what the difference is with the new Hydrogen powered cars vrs. these units. I was thinking how a little nitro helps in a gas motor; why wouldn't a little Hydrogen help in a gas motor. Please don't bury me in theory, just plain talk.
Thanks,
Chuck

MAKG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Hydrogen powered vehicles are big fancy batteries, nothing more. Hydrogen is a nice way to store energy. You do NOT get as much out as you put in, which is why it can't possibly be self-contained. The hydrogen MUST be made outside the vehicle. But if you do that, there is no reason you can't use it just like any other battery.

Hydrogen powered cars are electric vehicles. They do NOT burn the hydrogen in an internal combustion engine.

And nitro is not the same as nitrous oxide. A geologist will think of nitroglycerin (active ingredient in dynamite). A racer will think of nitromethane (NOT good for a gasoline engine). And nitrous doesn't "help" in the sense that hydrogen is supposed to. It dramatically LOWERS fuel mileage; the point is to make quite a lot more power from the same engine. Which means more fuel in proportion. It also breaks stuff.

Last edited:

Dryoo7

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
That is very clear. Thank you.
Chuck

thantil

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I have read the thread on why Hydrogen units DON'T work. Please explane what the difference is with the new Hydrogen powered cars vrs. these units. I was thinking how a little nitro helps in a gas motor; why wouldn't a little Hydrogen help in a gas motor. Please don't bury me in theory, just plain talk.
Thanks,
Chuck
It will work,it does work, at the moment I am getting a 20% increase in millage.
96 ranger 2.3 man trans
Hydrogen powered cars use a fuel cell fuel in (Hydrogen in this case) electricity out. The cells out out there are not fuel cells. also the gas is not pure Hydrogen
but Hydrogen and oxygen (Hydroxy) Hydrogen mixed with gasoline burns more efficiently and emissions are lower
Tom Antil
Fitchburg, ma

AllanD

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987... sorta
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
'93 4.0
Transmission
Manual
It will work,it does work, at the moment I am getting a 20% increase in millage.
96 ranger 2.3 man trans
Hydrogen powered cars use a fuel cell fuel in (Hydrogen in this case) electricity out. The cells out out there are not fuel cells. also the gas is not pure Hydrogen
but Hydrogen and oxygen (Hydroxy) Hydrogen mixed with gasoline burns more efficiently and emissions are lower
Tom Antil
Fitchburg, ma

Not to bew the one to spill Kool-Aid on your tinfoil hat, but your 20% increase in mileage is due to a change in driving habit.

In other words: :bsflag:

thantil

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Really? So let me get this right, you see me and you know for fact I made changes to my driving habbits?
whatever

MAKG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
He's making a very reasonable guess as to why you might think your truck is exempt from the laws of physics (specifically, energy conservation).

He doesn't have to see you to know you're fooling yourself. He might need to in order to know exactly how, but he's right that you ARE wrong.

Psychopete

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I was thinking how a little nitro helps in a gas motor; why wouldn't a little Hydrogen help in a gas motor. Please don't bury me in theory, just plain talk.
I am under the impression you'd like to use it like a type of boost.

Hydrogen and Nitrous Oxide are very different, nitrous oxide isn't flammable itself like Hydrogen. It adds more oxygen to the intake charge than what's in the air (21%) so that more fuel can be added to create more power. It also lowers the intake charge temperature which makes the air more denser. This is why Hyrdogen wouldn't work the same as Nitrous Oxide.

Pete

thantil

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
He's making a very reasonable guess as to why you might think your truck is exempt from the laws of physics (specifically, energy conservation).

He doesn't have to see you to know you're fooling yourself. He might need to in order to know exactly how, but he's right that you ARE wrong.
Whatever, send me to Prison I broke a law oops

MAKG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
If you DID break that law, a bunch of physicists in Sweden will be very interested in that.

Except you didn't. You just fooled yourself.

lifted4.0

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
all of these debates go on and on...you can say you change your driving habit...but if you shift everytime at 2G-2.1G, and you get 20ish mpg...swap in some sort of "modification" and still shift at 2G-2.1G, how much of your driving habits have changed? how much you brake (ya ill give you the excuse that it will clean your engine giving you better mpg by alittle, but if thats true, the mpg saving should wear off after time..and if it doesnt..??).....come on, if you hear about mpg savings that are 5-6..with 4.0L rangers getting 26-27...HOW MANY OF US ACTUALLY can obtain that with any driving conditionss...

im in the prosses of trying it myself...and if i see 25-26 mpg, i will just laugh at all the nay sayers..and if i dont, i will laugh at myself..

if i get 25mpg will pulling a 2300lbs trailer for 1/3 of my driving, that is for sure not a stock rangers mpg..no sir

James Denton

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Transmission
Automatic
thantil----Gald you see it to.It's easy to tell someone else what will work or what want when you don't have your own built.All they have to do is get off their aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaasssss and build one------and that's no BS

thantil

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Thank you, I do not want to argue. I was just making a statement.

I have a few issues with setup, but who doesn't. mostly leaks. and effie is part woman.haha.
oh well
also I have everything on a spreadsheet.

James Denton

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Transmission
Automatic
Thank you, I do not want to argue. I was just making a statement.

I have a few issues with setup, but who doesn't. mostly leaks. and effie is part woman.haha.
oh well
also I have everything on a spreadsheet.
Is it made with pvc pipe

Last edited:

rboyer

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.hoe
Transmission
Manual
Is it made with pvc pipe
Hey now! I have seen people hold light amounts of boost using PVC pipe that was properly primed and glued. Although none of what i've seen was ever permanent, but the stuff gets the job done. As far as this whole Hydrogen thing goes, you can prove that it won't work mathematically especially if you're talking about producing the Hydrogen on board the vehicle but people still hold on to their firm beliefs that it works. If you want to sink money into something that you haven't fully researched then be my guest, but the ONLY way you're sinking money into it is if you DIDN'T do any research.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals