• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Logic ground 94 4x4

Dantheman1540

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Diagnosing my 4x4 system in my 94 electric shift, I come to testing pin 3 org/blk wire, on the 8 pin connector leading to the 4x4 module. The test is to connect pin 3 to a ground and it should read 0 ohms. Well I’m not getting any continuity between pin 3, and the bare spot in the floor pan I’m using as a ground location. Pin 2 is the “main ground” pin and it has perfect 0ohm continuity between it and the same ground spot used for testing pin 3.

The tech article doesn’t say exactly what to check for if pin 3fails the test, so before I start following that wire all over the place, does anyone have any ideas?

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
I am not getting what the test is doing. If you put pin 3 to ground, of course it's going to read zero to ground. Are you supposed to put the other end of this wire to ground and then read pin 3? To test the wire? Or is it already grounded back at the module? You are under the truck correct?

Dantheman1540

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
I am not getting what the test is doing. If you put pin 3 to ground, of course it's going to read zero to ground. Are you supposed to put the other end of this wire to ground and then read pin 3? To test the wire? Or is it already grounded back at the module? You are under the truck correct?
So I am putting one test probe on pin 3, the other to the chassis to check continuity. Instead of reading 0ohms it’s not finding continuity at all.

lowspeedpursuit

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
B2300
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
You shouldn't have to follow the wire terribly far. Orange/black from the Electric Shift Control Module is meant to ground to G203, which looks like it's about 2 feet forward of the module. If you want to be lazy you could also just say to hell with unwrapping it, cut it, and re-run the wire.

G203loc.jpg

Dantheman1540

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Funny you mention that because I just moved the carpet 3” more and found it clearly not bolted down
You shouldn't have to follow the wire terribly far. Orange/black from the Electric Shift Control Module is meant to ground to G203, which looks like it's about 2 feet forward of the module. If you want to be lazy you could also just say to hell with unwrapping it, cut it, and re-run the wire.

View attachment 85956

Funny you mention that because I just moved the carpet 3” more and found it clearly not bolted down. I’m an idiot

Attachments

lowspeedpursuit

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
B2300
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I'll take an easy win any day. I've certainly forgotten to put my fair share of bolts and caps and whatever else back, and wondered why my stuff is broken.

00t444e

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger ext cab
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Put a manual shift transfer case in it.

Dantheman1540

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Put a manual shift transfer case in it.
Find me one with all the correct linkage and I will. Bonus points if it’s free.

Dantheman1540

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
It all works now finally so I’m happy!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals