• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Cooling system bypass outlet leak - unavailable part needed

TheOldBear

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
My 2003 ranger has a leak in a cooling system water outlet - it's the part where a bypass hose comes out of the thermostat housing, and has a fitting to attach a temperature sender.

After spending quite some time on the phone with the folks at parts.ford.com it was determined that this is an obsolete part XL5Z-8592-AB , no longer in the Ford inventory - and also not available from vintage parts or green sales two of Ford's recommended vendors for 'new old stock' parts.

I'm going to attempt to remove the part and and see what sort of metal it is made from - its possible that the hole could be patched [solder, braze, tig-weld...] or plugged [jb-weld?] depending on what the part was made from. [And if I can find a shop with suitable skills and tools].

gw33gp

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
33"
It also states it is for a 2.3 or 2.5 L engine. Is the thermostat housing the same for a 3.0?

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
It also states it is for a 2.3 or 2.5 L engine. Is the thermostat housing the same for a 3.0?
I used the part number he gave in his post above. Maybe that is part of his problem, he has the wrong part number?

tinman_72

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Factory
Total Drop
None
Tire Size
255/60R15
My credo
RoHS compliant
I used the part number he gave in his post above. Maybe that is part of his problem, he has the wrong part number?
Check again, the part numbers are not the same. ;)

ekrampitzjr

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
The original Ford part might not be available, but check the aftermarket. Either Dorman 902-1041 or Four Seasons 85024 is supposed to be a replacement. Several of each are available on eBay.

Yeah, yeah, I know, Dorman. But any port in a storm, right? Given the nature of the part, I doubt repair of the old part would be worthwhile.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals