• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Duraspark conversion.

Bronco648

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
XL
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
15"
Well, it appears as if the pick-up, inside the distributor, is still available from Standard Motor Products. and it's about $40 shipped. That's not bad. Of course, I'm not sure if that's the problem. I do have a spare distributor that needs rebuilding but I'm not sure if anyone rebuilds them anymore. I thought I read in this thread that Cardone will still do it if you request it thru an auto parts chain.

AndyB.

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I don’t think you’d need a new distributor, just the pickup coil/stator. It’s possible yours was not replaced when the distributor was rebuilt. There are aftermarket units available, and rearcounter.com lists 9 NOS available. I’ve never worked in a duraspark II system, but I’ve attached some images from the 1985 service manual about replacing the pickup.

Attachments

Bronco648

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
XL
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
15"
@AndyB. What part number did you search for on that site? I found aftermarket ones from SMP. But, NOS might be nice to have if they're not spendy.

AndyB.

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
D4PZ-12A112-A

That number was listed in this thread—I’m assuming it’s correct.

Bronco648

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
XL
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
15"
@AndyB. Sorry, I thought that was a distributor part number.

AndyB.

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
There are two stators listed in the 1985 light truck manual—I don’t know which would be correct for your application. There are several d5tz-12a112-b, NOS, on eBay.

it might be worth calling Green Sales and have them look up a part number for you.

Attachments

Bronco648

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
XL
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
15"
@AndyB. It's interesting that the Light Truck Manual image doesn't show a listing for the stator for the 2.8. Both sixes shown are the 300ci and 230ci. Otherwise, it's V8s or 4 cylinders. The note above the listing says "item is serviced in 12127 assy." if it's not listed. Any idea what the 12127 assembly is?

AndyB.

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
12127 is the distributor. The ‘85 2.8 had a TFI ignition system, the pickup coil/ stator has a different part number (and initially wasn’t available as a separate item).

when looking up the Standard pickup/stator for a ‘79 Pinto, it crosses to the d5tz-12a112-b—there’s a Motorcraft for $26 + shipping on eBay.

Attachments

Last edited:

Bronco648

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
XL
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
15"
That SMP LX212T part is available from Amazon for $20, too. Well, I guess I can pass this info along to the shop.

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
I will repeat what was casually mentioned in a previous post; Get away from the 1985 stuff, it's wrong. Your engine is now like a late 70's 2.8. You need to stay with the pinto and mustang II with the 2.8. 1985 has the wrong parts, you got rid of all those in the conversion.

Bronco648

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
XL
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
15"
I will repeat what was casually mentioned in a previous post; Get away from the 1985 stuff, it's wrong. Your engine is now like a late 70's 2.8. You need to stay with the pinto and mustang II with the 2.8. 1985 has the wrong parts, you got rid of all those in the conversion.
OK.

So, with respect to what might be the current problem, are you saying to (possibly) look for a distributor pick-up for a late 70s 2.8? If so, that would be the SMP LX212 that AndyB posted:

19Walt93

Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3"
Tire Size
235/55R16
My credo
If you don't have time to do it right will you have time to do it over?
D4PZ-12A112-A

That number was listed in this thread—I’m assuming it’s correct.
It's correct, I've replaced enough of them over time to remember the number and I kept the empty box to remind me not to give away any more NOS parts that fit my vehicles. "D" indicates the 70's, "4" means it was first released for 74 models, "P" is a service replacement part, "Z" indicates Ford, Mercury often used "Y", 12A112 is the stator base number and "A" identifies the individual part.

19Walt93

Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3"
Tire Size
235/55R16
My credo
If you don't have time to do it right will you have time to do it over?
OK.

So, with respect to what might be the current problem, are you saying to (possibly) look for a distributor pick-up for a late 70s 2.8? If so, that would be the SMP LX212 that AndyB posted:

Make sure it's returnable. I bought a breaker plate for a 70 428 SCJ from Rock and the box said made in China. 2 weeks later I drove to his house and jury rigged it so the points would open because the pivot pin came loose. I looked online and the Napa part had made in USA stamped on it in the picture so I ordered one. It was the same Chinese part and the pivot came out of the box loose. The stator in the picture is mounted on a base plate that corresponds to a breaker plate in a points ignition distributor.

Bronco648

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
XL
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
15"
It's correct, I've replaced enough of them over time to remember the number and I kept the empty box to remind me not to give away any more NOS parts that fit my vehicles. "D" indicates the 70's, "4" means it was first released for 74 models, "P" is a service replacement part, "Z" indicates Ford, Mercury often used "Y", 12A112 is the stator base number and "A" identifies the individual part.
Yes, but according to the post by @franklin2 , that stator is correct for a stock '85 Ranger whereas the modifications made by the Duraspark II conversion mean that parts should be sourced for late 70s Fords (Pinto, Mustang II) with the 2.8. At least I believe that was his point.

Bronco648

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
XL
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
15"
Make sure it's returnable. I bought a breaker plate for a 70 428 SCJ from Rock and the box said made in China. 2 weeks later I drove to his house and jury rigged it so the points would open because the pivot pin came loose. I looked online and the Napa part had made in USA stamped on it in the picture so I ordered one. It was the same Chinese part and the pivot came out of the box loose. The stator in the picture is mounted on a base plate that corresponds to a breaker plate in a points ignition distributor.
I haven't ordered anything yet. I'm just trying to help the shop identify what might be wrong by mining the Collective's mind. Everything is solid state except for the distributor pick-up. Even though that's new, it's possible it's failing when it heats up.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals