• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1997 stock 4X2 XLT on factory 14" wheels looking to source 16" wheels before buying new tires.

ven0msho

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Have my trusty 165K 97 4.0L that I ordered new at the dealer (at know it all the age of 20), 20 years ago was my daily now it only comes out of the garage when the weather is reasonalby nice, sometimes it does a short tow of the 3500 Lb boat to the launch ramp, never offroad really, mostly brought out for moving furniture or applianes or the boat etc..

Anyway the 14" tires on it are a decade old and are far from worn out due to the 1,000 miles or so per year but traction is marginal in the dry and nearly pointless in the damp. Minor oxidation on the alloys no bead leaks however I'd rather move to 16" for more tire choices.

I'm pondering getting some explorer wheels and powdercoating as most used wheels are terribly oxidized, but for example if I look for 2002 explorer wheels the link here

Shows there is a 16 x 7 with the same offset (12mm) that my current 14's have. but which of the nearly 20 or so wheels car-part shows for 2002 Exploders is that? Was the sport track essentially sold with ranger wheels? I don't want to narrow the stance and risk rubbing and it would look funny....

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
Explorers form that era are Ranger based. So rim fitment shouldn’t be an issue. They shared the same lug pattern and axles (with some modifications) with the Rangers as well. People have used Explorer axles on Rangers for years with little problem other than swapping the spring perches and some other minor stuff. So, they should work just fine. I would recommend doing a fit test just to be 100% sure since there has been some variation on the Ranger front axles over the years.

Better safe than sorry and trust but verify.

CrabGuy

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2004-Bone stock
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Why should I pay someone else to screw it up when I can screw it up myself for free?
You might look for a set of the alloy 16's offered on the 4x4. Mine were horribly oxidized with peeling clearcoat and they cleaned up pretty well. I've seen the same wheels on the Explorer so there should be plenty of them around

wheels.jpg

tinman_72

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Factory
Total Drop
None
Tire Size
255/60R15
My credo
RoHS compliant
The four door Explorers from 2002 and newer have wheels with different offset. They will bolt on but will sit farther inside the fender wells and make them look really skinny. The SportTrac and Sports of that era were still Ranger based and have wheels that will fit your Ranger better.

ven0msho

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
The four door Explorers from 2002 and newer have wheels with different offset. They will bolt on but will sit farther inside the fender wells and make them look really skinny. The SportTrac and Sports of that era were still Ranger based and have wheels that will fit your Ranger better.
Thanks - this is the perfect clarification of what I was suspecting. I was noticing that there were some Explorers with an ET10 or ET12 offset every year up through 2005, 2006 (the year the SportTrac wasn't built) is when this went away and all the offsets in 2006 and beyond are ~45 which would need 1.5" spacers or so, I believe 1.5 is the minimum needed to clear the studs anyway at least...

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals