• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

A4LD transmission service question

SPUDLEYDORIGHt

Law Enforcement
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco 2
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Safety Second
I recently had my auto trans repaired to replace a bent flex plate and loose torque converter bolts. I paid to have it done as I didn't really want to get into an automatic trans and just wanted to get back on the road. Before I dropped off the B2 there were no leaks and it shifted fine, just a horrible noise from the flex plate. I paid just over 1k for the work. After driving it for a few miles I noticed it was leaking trans fluid. I check and re-torqued the pan bolts as they were somewhat loose and I could see fluid around the edge of the pan. I also saw fluid coming from the shifter shaft on the left side of the trans. After tightening the bolts and driving it some more, the leaking continued. The shop said they have a warranty and for me to bring it back which I did. They diagnosed it as a failed linkage seal and wanted $180 to replace it. I asked about the warranty and they said their previous work had no impact on the performance of that seal. When I picked it up I asked again if it was just amazing coincidence that the trans didn't leak before they worked on it but did after and he reiterated that they had no impact on that seal and pay up. Obviously I'm not going back to that trans shop, but I wanted to ask if anybody here has done this type of work and if that they said is true, the the linkage seal would not be affected by a flex plate replacement. I went to a transmission shop (not AAMCO) and feel like I got just as screwed as if I would have went to a general repair shop. Thanks for any insight!

19Walt93

Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3"
Tire Size
235/55R16
My credo
If you don't have time to do it right will you have time to do it over?
The seal on the shift lever wouldn't have been affected by the work they did. I don't like coincidences but that's what it sounds like to me. It's not a huge job but the pan has to come off and in some cases the valve body has to come out. Please don't try transmission stop leak, it causes more problems.

SPUDLEYDORIGHt

Law Enforcement
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco 2
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Safety Second
The seal on the shift lever wouldn't have been affected by the work they did. I don't like coincidences but that's what it sounds like to me. It's not a huge job but the pan has to come off and in some cases the valve body has to come out. Please don't try transmission stop leak, it causes more problems.
Thanks for the input. I don't ever use stop-leak crap on anything... I've seen the (lack of) results. I paid them to fix it. I generally do most of my own work, but I don't like to mess w/ auto transmissions.

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
Thanks for the input. I don't ever use stop-leak crap on anything... I've seen the (lack of) results. I paid them to fix it. I generally do most of my own work, but I don't like to mess w/ auto transmissions.
Yeah, I hate coincidences but that should have had nothing to do with the work they did. An input seal would be a different story.

I used to not like dealing with autos but my 92 I had to replace the torque converter and did it when the motor went and figuring why not give a shift kit a go which got into a couple other mods plus adjusting the bands and after driving it I’d honestly be willing to do it again. Makes it drive waaaay nicer. Doesn’t throw you around but it shifts clean and gave me enough power to light up the back tires just by punching it from a stop.

Last edited:

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
215/70-R14
My credo
19K, 19D, 92Y, 88M, 91F....OIF-III (2004-2005)
To replace the flex plate, I'd think the transmission would need to be removed, which would require disconnecting the shift linkage from the transmission, so prying on the linkage to remove it from that shaft I'd think could cause a leak from the prying against that shaft.

I know when I had the transmission rebuilt at AAMCO, on the way home after the rebuild it was taking off in 2nd gear, took it back and they replaced the valve body, and it was fine afterwards, but shortly afterwards it was leaking around that linkage shaft too, they fixed that under warranty and never had an issue. So I'd think during the R&R of the transmission for the flex plate repair/replacement they probably damaged that seal, which from my understanding is already a common leakage point on these transmissions.

SPUDLEYDORIGHt

Law Enforcement
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco 2
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Safety Second
To replace the flex plate, I'd think the transmission would need to be removed, which would require disconnecting the shift linkage from the transmission, so prying on the linkage to remove it from that shaft I'd think could cause a leak from the prying against that shaft.

I know when I had the transmission rebuilt at AAMCO, on the way home after the rebuild it was taking off in 2nd gear, took it back and they replaced the valve body, and it was fine afterwards, but shortly afterwards it was leaking around that linkage shaft too, they fixed that under warranty and never had an issue. So I'd think during the R&R of the transmission for the flex plate repair/replacement they probably damaged that seal, which from my understanding is already a common leakage point on these transmissions.
I agree that the linkage seal could have been compromised when they took the linkage off. Unfortunately I can't prove anything and just had to pay the man. It's a bummer for sure, but hopefully it holds up. I wanted to avoid AAMCO because I think this whole thing was caused by them not properly torquing or using Loc-tite on the trans bolts which caused the trans to separate from the bell housing and damaging the flex-plate way back when you had it rebuilt.

BTW Bill, here's an updated shot of your old B2 interior:
b2_interior.jpg

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
215/70-R14
My credo
Looking good.

I'm not sure if it was caused by AAMCO or the Sweet Garage when they removed the engine and did the engine replacement, but regardless I'm far from impressed by whoever screwed it up. Where did you get the new dash cover from? LMC Truck? I need to replace the one in my Ranger.

SPUDLEYDORIGHt

Law Enforcement
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco 2
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Safety Second
Looking good.

I'm not sure if it was caused by AAMCO or the Sweet Garage when they removed the engine and did the engine replacement, but regardless I'm far from impressed by whoever screwed it up. Where did you get the new dash cover from? LMC Truck? I need to replace the one in my Ranger.
That's a dash I got from the junkyard from a Ranger. Just had to clean it up and re-paint it using Dupli-color interior paint. I've also replaced the rear hatch with one w/ a lock and the opening rear window.

wildbill23c

U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
215/70-R14
My credo
That's a dash I got from the junkyard from a Ranger. Just had to clean it up and re-paint it using Dupli-color interior paint. I've also replaced the rear hatch with one w/ a lock and the opening rear window.
Ahh ok, thanks. I guess that explains the weird rear wiper too, and why the wiper ground wasn't connected, except why did they replace the hatch with an older one without a way to lock it I never understood, or at least had a lock smith put a lock mechanism in it or something of that nature...IDK the guy I got it from did some dumb stuff to it that I never got around to figuring out, at the time I was more interested in getting it to go on its own power LOL.

4x4prepper

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
If I had to hazard a guess I would guess they strapped over the lever when tightening down the strap before lowering the transmission. You have to be aware of switch levers, vent caps, servo caps, vacuum modulators, etc when cranking down on the ratchet strap(s). Or even worse, transmission control modules. I suppose if someone really went gorilla you could squish the pan enough with a ratchet strap to compromise the gasket.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals