• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

What did you do to your Ranger today? (Part Deux!)

racsan

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford/escape
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.5/151 I-4
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
235/70/16
My credo
the grey-t escape
I went on a 160+ mile trip today, really need to put aftermarket cruise control on the ranger. Now that the exhaust is fixed I cant hear it and since I cant hear it I cant seem to maintain a steady speed. Had my radiator half blocked off and the cooling fan removed so it was plenty warm. Did get some snow flurries today, didnt stick to the roads and amazingly the dot didnt feel the need to salt (yet) .

holyford86

Some guy with a problem
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
many
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
33x12.50R15
Breath/bodyheat will warm a reg cab truck up relatively well in my experience lol. The last winter I drove my '10 it was with a crappy blend door and even on those 15 degree days by the time I got to work it was somewhat comfortable in the cab
My commute is too short for the truck to warm up at all really, it's 3.6 miles and takes me 10 minutes if I hit every red light on the way there, it's lame. The 4.0 truck which I don't drive in the winter will cook you out of the cab by the time you're halfway there

Roert42

RBV's on Boost
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I miss a sub 10 commute. Was 6 1/2 miles.

35 mile commute, truck heat gets hot. Hour. I’m not a fan.

LearningStick

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Sigh. So many delays.
It sat for most of a year. My first choice of mechanic couldn't get parts for it and said it's not worth repairing. It has some issues I didn't spot at purchase. Another mechanic said one repair could be over a thousand with making one new part. My brother said he could make the part, but he didn't have time to do that, and didn't have the tools to remove the old part. I left the country for a couple months, so nothing happened then. I finally called some other mechanics with lower estimates for the first repair. And then an insurance delay. Since I had suspended the policy instead of cancelled it, the insurer's software required a $30 fee before stating the cost to restart the policy. I waited a few more weeks to let it expire then reinsured it without the $30. Today I finally drove it to a mechanic. I still haven't used 3rd gear because it's not ready for longer drives.

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
Sigh. So many delays.
It sat for most of a year. My first choice of mechanic couldn't get parts for it and said it's not worth repairing. It has some issues I didn't spot at purchase. Another mechanic said one repair could be over a thousand with making one new part. My brother said he could make the part, but he didn't have time to do that, and didn't have the tools to remove the old part. I left the country for a couple months, so nothing happened then. I finally called some other mechanics with lower estimates for the first repair. And then an insurance delay. Since I had suspended the policy instead of cancelled it, the insurer's software required a $30 fee before stating the cost to restart the policy. I waited a few more weeks to let it expire then reinsured it without the $30. Today I finally drove it to a mechanic. I still haven't used 3rd gear because it's not ready for longer drives.
These trucks are fairly easy for a novice to learn to do a lot of the work to. Most parts should be available without having to be fabricated. A lot of mechanics these days suck.

snoranger

Professional money waster
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'79,'94,'02,'23
Make / Model
All Fords
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I didn't ask for your life story, just answer the question!
I stared at it out of the living room window and contemplated selling it. I really have no use for it anymore. Between my company F250 (only allowed to use it for work), my “daily driver” F150 (yes @rusty ol ranger it’s a 3 year old crew cab that has only had a passenger in the back seat twice in its life), and my wife’s Bronco Sport (used for family outings) the Ranger has very limited use.
I probably hang on to it until I get the ‘23 Ranger I ordered to replace the F150. I’ve owned at least one Ranger (up to 5 at one point) since 1995, gotta keep that streak alive.

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
I’ve owned at least one Ranger (up to 5 at one point) since 1995, gotta keep that streak alive.
My streak is still alive since 1988...

I'm gonna hold out til 2024 and see what the new model Ranger has. There might be a new one in my future.

holyford86

Some guy with a problem
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
many
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
33x12.50R15
I miss a sub 10 commute. Was 6 1/2 miles.

35 mile commute, truck heat gets hot. Hour. I’m not a fan.
I've worked at the same place for almost 15 years, and lived in 4 different places with a commute of up to 33 miles one way, it's nice finally owning a place that also happens to be close.

superj

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger edge
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3 liters of tire smoking power
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
none
Total Drop
none
Tire Size
235s
My credo
Grew up in the 70s, 80s, and 90s
thats me. /\

i have worked in the same place for about 20 years and went from 2.5 mile drive to 2 mile. but i moved across the main road so now i am not stuck waiting for traffic to give an opening to get in. that made the ride take long on some days because people would be jerks and drive bumper to bumper and not let people in from the side street.

Maritime Drag Racing

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
355 Chevrolet
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
2" drop rear shackles
Tire Size
27 X 5 X 15 Hoosier front - 9X30 Hoosier rear(slicks)
My credo
Race it - Break it - Fix it - Repeat
Got my new Rancho 9 position adjustable shocks on today. Exactly the same thing as a Calvert Racing shock - in fact Calvert bought the rights to rebrand them from Rancho a few years back.

20221114_115825.jpg

Dragzine.com article from a few years ago. They painted the red adjustment knob white and changed the bushings from red to black.

1668447267889.png

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
My 2.5 suffers from the same issue, the odd thing is the live data says the engine is fully warmed or at least warm enough after a couple of miles but I still have no heat, I've flushed heater core and changing the thermostat and housing after a housing failure but it made no difference at all. Once the weather gets colder than about 10 degrees it's like someone is breathing on you after 20 miles at 75 on the interstate...
When I had my 1998, all that cast iron took forever to heat up but once it did, it put out good heat. It sounds like you are having a heater core issue, a valve issue, or the wrong thermostat.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
My commute is too short for the truck to warm up at all really, it's 3.6 miles and takes me 10 minutes if I hit every red light on the way there, it's lame. The 4.0 truck which I don't drive in the winter will cook you out of the cab by the time you're halfway there
Ok, that make more sense. Even my 2011 and the 2019 would just start getting comfortable in the cab at only 3.6 miles.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
My streak is still alive since 1988...

I'm gonna hold out til 2024 and see what the new model Ranger has. There might be a new one in my future.
So, you're looking to by a gen 6?

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
I replaced the plastic slider pucks that were bad on the 2011's leaf springs. It turns out only four of the the 12 were bad and broken. So, I have some spares for next time. It also turns out I ordered the wrong ones. The keeper pin was too big but there is enough material on them that I was able to file the pin down to fit the existing hole without too much time and effort.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals