• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Jante Wheels at Summit Racing

Garth Libre

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
I have a 2010 Ranger with steel wheels and rear disks which means there were only two stock stock aluminum rims available to me from the manufacturer in a 15 inch size. Summit racing sells the Jante aluminum rims for $135 which they claim are the original fit and they certainly look like the originals offered in 2010. Of course the Rangers with rear disks were supposed to have some interference with other earlier rims (I have no idea why since all our trucks have front disk brakes even if they have rear drums). My issue is offset (none is listed in the Summit website). Our trucks are supposed to take 20 mm positive offset and different offsets can prematurely wear out wheel bearings and change handling characteristics.

Here's where it gets interesting... Assuming that the mag wheels weigh 6 pounds less than the stock steel ones you could expect to save about $60 a year in gas just for the weight reduction. (The Jante wheels are rumored to weigh 20 pounds). This means it would take 8 years to recoup the cost of the wheels (not including mounting and balancing). I really don't care about the money aspect but I am always in favor of mag wheels as they improve braking and acceleration and fuel milage.

Here's the question. Were the Jante rims made with the same offset as the stock steel rims?

Blmpkn

Toilet enthusiast
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2.5"
Tire Size
285/75/18
My credo
Its probably better to be self deprecating than self defecating.
What's summit say the backspacing/offset is? Iirc for the most part, rangers came with 4.5" backspacing.

Garth Libre

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
What's summit say the backspacing/offset is? Iirc for the most part, rangers came with 4.5" backspacing.
It does say they are 15 x7.5 x 4.5 but I was unaware that I was looking for a 4.5 inch back spacing. The only measurement I could find for stock rims was 2 inch offset. Is 2 inch offset the same thing as 4.5 inch backspacing?

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
Is 2 inch offset the same thing as 4.5 inch backspacing?
No.

offset is how far the mounting surface of the wheel is offset from the center of the wheel.

backspacing is the distance from the mounting surface of the wheel to the rear lip of the wheel.

Garth Libre

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
No.

offset is how far the mounting surface of the wheel is offset from the center of the wheel.

backspacing is the distance from the mounting surface of the wheel to the rear lip of the wheel.
So, the Summit ad quotes "15 x 7 5 x 4.5 10 spoke wheels" There are no commas or other words describing these Jante rims. I'm more confused than ever. Is it 15 diameter with a 7 inch width or a 7.5 inch width? If the backspacing is 4.5 that would leave the offset at 2.5 inches. (7 - 4.5 = 2.5), but what is the 5 after the 7 listed in the number sequence? I think someone at Summit needs to clarify all this so I sent them an email. Hopefully we can get this settled out.

ericbphoto

TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
So, the Summit ad quotes "15 x 7 5 x 4.5 10 spoke wheels" There are no commas or other words describing these Jante rims. I'm more confused than ever. Is it 15 diameter with a 7 inch width or a 7.5 inch width? If the backspacing is 4.5 that would leave the offset at 2.5 inches. (7 - 4.5 = 2.5), but what is the 5 after the 7 listed in the number sequence? I think someone at Summit needs to clarify all this so I sent them an email. Hopefully we can get this settled out.
The 5x4.5 part is telling you that the lug spacing is “5 holes evenly spaced around a 4.5” diameter circle” that is the lug pattern for many early generations of Rangers. What you are quoting doesn’t say anything at all about offset or backspacing.

ericbphoto

TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
I went to the Jante wheels website to try to get more info. It wants me to log in. I’m not doing that.

Garth Libre

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
The 5x4.5 part is telling you that the lug spacing is “5 holes evenly spaced around a 4.5” diameter circle” that is the lug pattern for many early generations of Rangers. What you are quoting doesn’t say anything at all about offset or backspacing.
Thank you. I would never have guessed that.

pjtoledo

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Fords
Engine Size
3.0 2.3
the 2010-2011 rear disks are no bigger overall than the front 11.25" disks.
the actual disk may be bigger, but the caliper & bracket are not. they are what determines the wheel interference.
any 15" wheel should fit the 2010-2011 rear axle.

most 15" aluminum wheels will only fit over the 11.25" front systems. there are some specific to those years that fit over 12" systems.
there also 15" steel wheels that fit 12" systems, depends on the shape of the inner barrel. mine are 19mm offset
I also have a set of 2010 Sport 15" aluminum wheels that fit 12" systems, the barrel doesn't taper as much so it clears the caliper/bracket.
check the pics in post #26 for the barrel differences

.OEM Alcoa 15" wheels don't fit | Page 2 | The Ranger Station

What front disks do you have? 11.25" or 12"

Last edited:

pjtoledo

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Fords
Engine Size
3.0 2.3
on a 15 x 7 wheel that is the tire mounting dimensions, the actual wheel measures wider because of the lips/flanges, typically 1" wider overall.
the centerline of a "15x7" (actual measurement 15x8) is 4" from the rear of the wheel. a 4.5 backspace will give you 1/2" or 12mm offset.

don4331

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Interestingly, the '03, '08, '09 and '11 Ford Ranger eSource documents which I have only list 11.28" front discs, yet I know my daughter's '08 B4000 has 12" discs. My '02 Explorer Sport/Sportrac document has the 12" discs for them. The '00 Ranger document has the 10.28" front discs for 2wds. In said documents, all OEM rims are 12mm offset.
The more offset/backspace you have, the more likely you will have issues with brake calipers as the tire mounting depression is further in.​

I suspect '19+ Rangers have more offset as everything now does - 1st for style, 2nd flush face is better for fuel economy (that might be bass ackwards in reasons).

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
I think the 19+ Rangers are +55mm.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals