• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1992 Ranger - 125" Wheelbase, 4.0L OHV - Exhaust Manifold mounting hardware

Rangergirl92

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Transmission
Manual
I have replace one of the exhaust manifolds maybe 6 years ago when it cracked. The nuts and studs that mount them to the block are in decent shape despite their age.

I recently bought an entire new exhaust system, Hedman Headers, a Magnaflow Cat, and am still piecing the catback system together (cannot find a mandrel head pipe for a 125" wb)

I am having a helluva time finding replacement studs and lock nut kits to mount the new headers. Any suggestions on where to shop/look for them? online or brick & mortor

Also are there any recommendations for performance exhaust parts? There is a wealth of them in search engine inquires and on eBay, but I am not trying to spen over $600 for the cat back system - I want efficiency through performance - trying to improve hp, le torque, and fuel economy above al else. Suggestions?

Thank you so much^.^

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
The factory bolts are just a common metric thread. I think 8x1.25 or something like that. I would maybe try Fastenal/McMaster-Carr/Grainger if you absolutely have to have studs and nuts... otherwise I am sure you can find some bolts easily enough, the factory style is a flange head and you probably will want class 8.8 if possible. Use copper anti-seize on the threads.

Northidahotrailblazer

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Total Lift
8 inches
Tire Size
37"
Just get everything you have hooked up right now on and take it to an exhaust shop and have them build a cat back. I don't know if it will be cheaper than $600 bucks but it wouldn't take an exhaust shop long if all they did was bend new pipe and bolt it on with some new hangers. Might be worth it to stop in and see what a local one to you has to say.

And for the bolts/studs, what Shran says.

Hedman doesn't offer a stud kit for there headers?

Rangergirl92

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Transmission
Manual
The factory bolts are just a common metric thread. I think 8x1.25 or something like that. I would maybe try Fastenal/McMaster-Carr/Grainger if you absolutely have to have studs and nuts... otherwise I am sure you can find some bolts easily enough, the factory style is a flange head and you probably will want class 8.8 if possible. Use copper anti-seize on the threads.
Thank you! So how long do they need to be at M8x1.25? Yes I found the grade 8.8 on Grainger's website - but there are like 15 different lengths - obviously I don't need one that is 10 inches lol - but yeah just want to get everything in order before I start the install.

Rangergirl92

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Transmission
Manual
Just get everything you have hooked up right now on and take it to an exhaust shop and have them build a cat back. I don't know if it will be cheaper than $600 bucks but it wouldn't take an exhaust shop long if all they did was bend new pipe and bolt it on with some new hangers. Might be worth it to stop in and see what a local one to you has to say.

And for the bolts/studs, what Shran says.

Hedman doesn't offer a stud kit for there headers?
I did not think to do that - I think I might be able to barter a YouTube promotional video ( I am a videographer as a side hustle) for an exhaust shop in town in exchange for a fat discount - thank you for the tip!

No - when I searched their website, the term "exhaust studs", or "exhaust stud kit" didn't even have a search result. Seems counter intuitive to me...

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Thank you! So how long do they need to be at M8x1.25? Yes I found the grade 8.8 on Grainger's website - but there are like 15 different lengths - obviously I don't need one that is 10 inches lol - but yeah just want to get everything in order before I start the install.
Don't quote me on that thread pitch, I am just going off memory. I might be wrong and I'd advise you to check with a thread pitch gauge.

As far as length goes, measure the flange on your header and add 1/2" to 3/4" or so and buy accordingly. So for example if your flange is 1/2" thick, you'd want a bolt that's about 1" to 1-1/4" long or whatever that comes out to be in millimeters.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals