• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Camping/overlanding gear thread.

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
I'm gonna throw this one in here too... it is an option. If you're traveling with someone... set up and take down could be pretty quick. Truck backs right in... tire carrier swings out... pop in the lantern hook... drop the cover on the cook box and you're camping. Probably better if staying in one spot for a few days while doing day trips... but totally doable on the fly.

20200918_182151.jpg

It is bulky... the top/walls/ropes and stakes fit in one RIDGID box. The frame has it's own bag and comes in at six feet long... weighs about 60 lbs. I only ever wanted to buy one easy-up... so I bought a heavy duty one. I bought a second screen wall too. Someday I will use it to sell antiques at the flea market and tie flies at a couple trout festivals.

I like those awnings too. I think it would be pretty easy to make quick connect mounts and replicate them on three sides. Then you could just position the awning wherever it made the most sense when you want it up.

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I've mentioned using a jet sled as a drawer in the bed of my truck on here before. Also using the RIDGID boxes in the sled. After straightening up the garage I pulled my sled from the rafters and was playing around a bit this morning. They don't fit as well as I'd hoped... the sled narrows at the bottom too much for the boxes to fit crossways from the front to rear. But... it can be configured in enough different ways that I still think it's gonna work.

20221006_115040.jpg
20221006_115831.jpg
20221006_115852.jpg

20221005_181639.jpg

It will come in handy for moving tools around when I do restaurant maintenance too.

20221006_120759.jpg

If I take the rear seat out of the Bronco II... the sled will be a perfect fit. So I can swap it between trucks.

Blmpkn

Toilet enthusiast
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2.5"
Tire Size
285/75/18
My credo
Its probably better to be self deprecating than self defecating.
I've mentioned using a jet sled as a drawer in the bed of my truck on here before. Also using the RIDGID boxes in the sled. After straightening up the garage I pulled my sled from the rafters and was playing around a bit this morning. They don't fit as well as I'd hoped... the sled narrows at the bottom too much for the boxes to fit crossways from the front to rear. But... it can be configured in enough different ways that I still think it's gonna work.

View attachment 83399View attachment 83400View attachment 83401

View attachment 83403

It will come in handy for moving tools around when I do restaurant maintenance too.

View attachment 83402

If I take the rear seat out of the Bronco II... the sled will be a perfect fit. So I can swap it between trucks.
Is it possible to have two of the middle boxes connect to each other on top of the rolling one?

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Is it possible to have two of the middle boxes connect to each other on top of the rolling one?
I'm not sure I understand the question...

Blmpkn

Toilet enthusiast
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2.5"
Tire Size
285/75/18
My credo
I'm not sure I understand the question...
It wasn't asked very well was it lol

black-ridgid-modular-tool-storage-systems-254073-a0_600.jpg

In all the pictures/displays I've seen they show the biggest rolling box on bottom and then each box up from there gets smaller.

Is that the only order that they can be hooked together? Or is it possible to have the bottom rolling box with 2 of the middle size boxes (2nd from bottom in the picture) stacked on top of it?

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Gotcha...

Every box/crate except the bottom rollies can be stacked and latched in any order. You can even latch a box on top of the cooler.

Blmpkn

Toilet enthusiast
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2.5"
Tire Size
285/75/18
My credo
Gotcha...

Every box/crate except the bottom rollies can be stacked and latched in any order. You can even latch a box on top of the cooler.
Perfect!

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17

View attachment 83399View attachment 83400View attachment 83401

View attachment 83403

View attachment 83402

Eventually, I'm going to redo the platform in the 2011 to convert it from a pull up lid system to a drawer system. The pull up lid system seemed to be a good idea at the time, until I need something under the platform and there was a bunch of stuff loaded on top. The 2019 will probably get one eventually too but the bed height is so tall as it is, if I put a platform in there, the girlfriend will be in trouble. She has short people issues as it is.

Roert42

RBV's on Boost
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Here’s my camping box. As you can tell from the junk piled on top I haven’t done much camping this year

Slides between the wheel wells so it’s easy enough to get in and out. Normally the cooler goes in the back of the bed against the tailgate. Everything else like chairs and tents, axe just gets tossed in the bed. Clothing and sleeping bags get stuffed in the back seat.

3408DD65-3033-4EF0-B6F7-408FE31E2ADB.jpeg
C6C87A8F-AB47-4D88-9CBA-B73946F591CD.jpeg

Robertmangrum.rm

Wannabe Overlander
Supporting Member
RBV's on Boost
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2.5 level kit with rear add a leaf appox. 1.5
Tire Size
305/70r17
My credo
Buy it, build it, and drive it like you stole it

Robertmangrum.rm

Wannabe Overlander
Supporting Member
RBV's on Boost
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
305/70r17
My credo
I'm surprised there isn't a grind-and-brew coffee pot rig for overlanding yet lol.

I'm planning on getting an awning for the truck at some point. I just don't know how big, and which direction off the truck I wanna mount it. I'm planning on buying an Amazon special though for sure. The reviews on them are decent enough, and it's not gonna be a high-use item for me anyways. Unless I break it like a gorilla I'm sure it'll last the rest of my life.

I was thinking it would be cool to mount one rotated 90° from normal.. so it stretches over the bed from the back of the cab. That way I could just slap a tent in the bed and not have to worry about moisture from above OR moisture from below.
I've been wanting to build a bed rack and get a 270° awning. I know a guy that has one with the walls for it and it's got Hella room. You could sleep 6 cots in that thing

Robertmangrum.rm

Wannabe Overlander
Supporting Member
RBV's on Boost
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
305/70r17
My credo
I've installed a 1000w inverter and a secondary battery with a 25 amp DC to DC charger so I can have some 110v while overlanding. But that's about it. Need to move it to interior so I can spray the bed out but been way to busy lately to mess with it haha

dvdswan

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT 2WD
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Keep your mind like an umbrella, it only works if its open... Continually learning.
I must be a really stingy or simple-minded person. I have a couple of action packers for my gear to keep it dry/clean from mud and rain. The cook box is a clear tub and the stove, tent, and grille are in their original boxes. I use a ground 3-4 person tent with a center height of 5.5' and use a twin air mattress. As far as tools, I have a tool box and a small action packer for small air tools and battery tools since I sold my bed tool box years ago.

The "overlanding" thing to is just a more glorified type of camping, IMO. To me camping is either backpacking or camping from a vehicle. From there I guess it's all what you want to get out of experience. I've always thought camping was to get away from it all... including power, cellular phones, etc. I'm not saying that having those is bad at all. I will probably be a trailer camper here within the next 10 years.

Blmpkn

Toilet enthusiast
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2.5"
Tire Size
285/75/18
My credo
Camping is one of those things that can mean 10 different things to 10 different people. That's what makes it so great.

From roughin' it to 'glamping' there's something to sleep in and a gear-set for everyone.

My father grew up roughin' it until my family built a little tiny camp 30 miles from the nearest telephone pole. Loved every second of it.. but once he had the means.. he started getting campers of increasing size. That's how I grew up camping.. 35' 5th wheel with a generator. I just liked being away from the house for a week or two somewhere different, riding my bike everywhere and being able to swim whenever I wanted. Being able to watch a movie was an added bonus lol.

I didn't go camping after he passed for more than a few years...then got back into it with my girlfriend and my buddy. Bought a little tent and a tarp my first year then just kept acquiring more/better gear year after year.

Now... I have more 'means' than I used to... and I'm growing tired of tents and tarps and being uncomfortable on vacation lol so I'm planning on building my own little camper. Keep an eye out for a thread on that in the coming weeks 😎

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals