• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

What does Ford think the Maverick is for?

Blmpkn

Toilet enthusiast
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2.5"
Tire Size
285/75/18
My credo
Its probably better to be self deprecating than self defecating.
That’s because they underestimated its popularity. They expected the order bank to be open a LOT longer than 5 days (for the hybrid, it was 6 for the ICE version.) They really should have opened the build and price a day or so before the order banks… but Ford hasn’t really had their shit together in the past few years.
FYI: You can place an order for a vehicle today (not the Maverick, obviously.) and change every option that you want all the way up until the day the schedule it for production.
I don't understand how they could of possibly underestimated how popular it would become.

It's the most capable of the available unibody trucks, way cheaper in its cushy-est trim than the Ridgelines base price, can get 40 mpg... it's just so incredibly practical.. and it doesn't have the horrid styling of the other 2.. of course it's gonna sell good.

stmitch

March 2011 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
2011 Truck of The Year
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I'm guessing it's more about how many they can actually produce. And then, how many of those they can produce without cannibalizing sales of higher profit vehicles.

rusty ol ranger

Im a Jeep guy now.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
And that highlighted part in a nutshell is the big reason I'd hesitate to order a Maverick. A number of new Fords have had serious issues. EcoBoost, anyone? Undercarriage rust on brand-new pickups, anyone?
Ive noticed that really since 97 (99 for superduty) the pickups seem to rot underneath worse then any of the old ones ever did. The bodies seem to do better, but shackles, crossmembers, bed crossmembers, springs, and frames in general seem to be worse.

Ive had several 75ish to mid 90s trucks and frame rot was never an issue...even never being washed and being run in michigan salt, but ive seen numerous (espicially the 97-08 1/2 tons and 99-10 superduties) that rot like crazy.

snoranger

Professional money waster
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'79,'94,'02,'23
Make / Model
All Fords
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I didn't ask for your life story, just answer the question!
I'm guessing it's more about how many they can actually produce. And then, how many of those they can produce without cannibalizing sales of higher profit vehicles.
They got about 86K orders in those 5-6 days.
I’m sure if Ford can build more, (open another shift at the plant, source parts and materials, whatever else is in the way.) they will open the order banks back up. Even if it’s just for dealer stock production.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
That’s because they underestimated its popularity. They expected the order bank to be open a LOT longer than 5 days (for the hybrid, it was 6 for the ICE version.) They really should have opened the build and price a day or so before the order banks… but Ford hasn’t really had their shit together in the past few years.
FYI: You can place an order for a vehicle today (not the Maverick, obviously.) and change every option that you want all the way up until the day the schedule it for production.
Once you get a VIN you are done.

Then they jocky around playing games with scheduling until they got tired of screwing with you.

They need things locked in a bit before production to make sure they have enough parts to either build it or limp it to a racetrack parking lot for long term storage.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
Ive noticed that really since 97 (99 for superduty) the pickups seem to rot underneath worse then any of the old ones ever did. The bodies seem to do better, but shackles, crossmembers, bed crossmembers, springs, and frames in general seem to be worse.

Ive had several 75ish to mid 90s trucks and frame rot was never an issue...even never being washed and being run in michigan salt, but ive seen numerous (espicially the 97-08 1/2 tons and 99-10 superduties) that rot like crazy.
My experience is limited to Rangers. It seems that the front of the beds, the bottom of the tailgates, and the lower doors are the main issue as far as rust. So far, the tailgate on the 2011 is holding on strong but even with the rust mitigation steps, the front, passenger bed mount needs repaired. The bottom lip of both doors is blistering even though the interior of the door is well sealed and clean. And the bottom of the interior section of the driver’s door where it curves down to meet the exterior sheet metal has rusted through, even though the seam sealer is still intact and clean. Frame is in great shape but it gets doused with fluid film every year along with the entire underbody and the space between the inner and outer bed as well.

The one Explorer Sport and Sport Trac I worked on both had rotted out lower kick panels.

Everything is 1998 and up.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My 02 F150 needed rockers, door bottoms and a bed.

Bed was rotting in all the usual places, rockers and above wheel arches.

Frame was perfect.

200k mile truck.

superj

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger edge
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3 liters of tire smoking power
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
none
Total Drop
none
Tire Size
235s
My credo
Grew up in the 70s, 80s, and 90s
a guy i cycle with got his maverick a few months back and loves it. he got the awd and said it pulls the boat out better from the ramp than his old f150 (2wd though). said even though traction is better, the ecoboost feels like it has more power than the old v8 did for coming up the steep wet ramp.

all i know is he got an xl and totally regrets not getting an xlt. it sucks to drive a cross texas with no cruise control is his comment, which is my exact feelings.

bilbo

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
a guy i cycle with got his maverick a few months back and loves it. he got the awd and said it pulls the boat out better from the ramp than his old f150 (2wd though). said even though traction is better, the ecoboost feels like it has more power than the old v8 did for coming up the steep wet ramp.

all i know is he got an xl and totally regrets not getting an xlt. it sucks to drive a cross texas with no cruise control is his comment, which is my exact feelings.
My wife's Maverick is an XL too. When we were driving it home we were looking all over for the cruise control until I looked it up and realized it didn't have it. We never thought they would even build a car without it nowadays with throttle by wire. After researching it appears there's a couple of ways to do it. You can install the switches or a wheel with the switches and program with FORScan, or install the aftermarket kit. She went with the aftermarket kit. It's around $300 and not as elegant as OEM, with an extra lever there and stuff, but it works and she's happy with it. The kit looks easy to install.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I am very surprised anyone even builds a vehicle without cruise at this point.

superj

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger edge
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
none
Total Drop
none
Tire Size
235s
My credo
me too, very surprised but since its an expensive add on option, ford saw a way to get some more money out of people.

i would do the aftermarket add on kit with no problem

Ranger850

Doesn't get Sarcasm . . .
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Born with a 3.0, looking for a donor V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock 2"
Tire Size
Stock
My credo
Doing things wrong, until I get it right.
I am very surprised anyone even builds a vehicle without cruise at this point.
Come on, Ford can't be just giving away the good stuff. Gotta make that up sale so they can say "XL's just dont sale well, We should only make expensive models and forget about the Little Guy"

rusty ol ranger

Im a Jeep guy now.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...

superj

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger edge
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
none
Total Drop
none
Tire Size
235s
My credo
isi t only optional on trucks? we had an se excape and it had cruise. i didn;t sit in an s model so i don't know

Blmpkn

Toilet enthusiast
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2.5"
Tire Size
285/75/18
My credo
Its probably better to be self deprecating than self defecating.
I'm relatively sure it's an option on the new rangers as well.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals