• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

What does Ford think the Maverick is for?

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
My record load is 4400lbs of gravel in my F250. I think the payload rating on it is 3800... usually the gravel pit will go out of their way to not overload any trucks that come in but they went a little wild once.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I have a 2017 Dodge with the coil spring rear. It is definitely not as good as a leaf spring setup for heavy loads. I bought it because I needed a vehicle for hunting and camping. The gear for those activities is not particularly heavy but takes up quite a bit of space, and generally I put in a lot of windshield time so comfort was important to me. Also having an area separate from the cabin for stinky things like skunked dogs and dead animals was important, so the Suburban/SUV thing wouldn't work for me. The Dodge rides extremely well, better than any of the others I test drove, with light to moderate loads. 99 percent of my time is spent in those conditions. For the 1% of the time I have to haul a heavy load I just put up with the squat (Until I got the old F250).

Some people seem to buy their trucks for the 1% condition. I have a friend that bought a big diesel to haul his ski boat. Towing the boat was within the capabilities of any of the half-tons on the market at the time. It was great for the maybe 5x a year he hauled it further than from his cabin to the lake launch, but the rest of the time it was like cruising around in a Conestoga wagon with leather seats and bluetooth. Then the emissions system components started giving him trouble and he went looking for something different.
Like everything else you can get different payload ratings.

Half ton ram with coils can have higher payload ratings than leaf sprung gm or Ford.

3/4 ton ram has rear coils too.

If money was no object I would happily drive a ram. They didn't start making 6.5' crew cabs until 19, things have been weird since 2020 so they are hard to find used compared to a Ford that has had 6.5' crew cabs since 2006..

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
I have a 2017 Ram half ton at work and it is a nice pickup overall. Rides nice and has an absolutely crazy amount of power, compared to the 2010 Chevy 5.3 truck I had prior to that...

Unfortunately it is starting to rust in weird places, including above the windshield. Occasionally it will start and shut off immediately and has the typical broken exhaust studs. The gas tank overflows every time you fill it and the fix is a $2000 fuel tank - real bummer. Kind of disappointing for a truck that has 65k on it. But the trans on the Chevy failed at 100k so that was a $5000 fix.... I just have to keep buying Ford for my own purposes.

rusty ol ranger

Im a Jeep guy now.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
Coils arnt as stable when towing...or so ive heard

Ranger850

Doesn't get Sarcasm . . .
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Born with a 3.0, looking for a donor V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock 2"
Tire Size
Stock
My credo
Doing things wrong, until I get it right.
I think some of those Rams have air bag assisted coils, too.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
Personally id rather be "over trucked" then "under trucked"
Thus why I have 1,750# rear springs, #1 torsion bars, and class “C” tires on the 2011. I might not need that much capacity most of the time but when I do, I do. Most times, a bed full of logs all the way to the top of the cap for the fire wood rack or retaining wall block. Both will start to make the truck think about squatting.

superj

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger edge
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3 liters of tire smoking power
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
none
Total Drop
none
Tire Size
235s
My credo
Grew up in the 70s, 80s, and 90s
Yall could try nissan titans. Mine is nice, other than the small bed, ha ha ha

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Back on topic, Ford has Maverick pricing out for 2023.

Looks like the Tremor I want is $32,700 - basically just a spray in bedliner, sliding rear window, block heater, 110v outlet. + probably several thousand in dealer markup. (n) Kinda hoping interest rates will keep going up, demand will die off and I'll be able to score a killer cash deal on one.

Really makes me sad that you can't get a Tremor with Alto Blue paint though.

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
Thats why i havent bought a truck yet to replace my 97 F250 HD. Im not paying out the ass for a 150,000 mi beat to piss superduty and the half tons in my price range are super nice but i dont think they would do what i do.

Atleast...not as well as a 3/4ton.

View attachment 83321

That would break a 1/2 ton
I disagree, my F-150 would have no problems with that. But I’m also built with a ZF5 and 1-ton suspension. I crossed the scale with it once at 10k and change due to the guy loading me giving me a full bucket instead of the partial I was supposed to get. It was a little light on the front end with that…

rusty ol ranger

Im a Jeep guy now.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
I disagree, my F-150 would have no problems with that. But I’m also built with a ZF5 and 1-ton suspension. I crossed the scale with it once at 10k and change due to the guy loading me giving me a full bucket instead of the partial I was supposed to get. It was a little light on the front end with that…
So basically your F150 body with 1ton running gear lol

stmitch

March 2011 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
2011 Truck of The Year
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Back on topic, Ford has Maverick pricing out for 2023.

Looks like the Tremor I want is $32,700 - basically just a spray in bedliner, sliding rear window, block heater, 110v outlet. + probably several thousand in dealer markup. (n) Kinda hoping interest rates will keep going up, demand will die off and I'll be able to score a killer cash deal on one.

Really makes me sad that you can't get a Tremor with Alto Blue paint though.
They already closed the order books for 2023 didn't they? You had like 5 days to order one before they shut it down.

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
They already closed the order books for 2023 didn't they? You had like 5 days to order one before they shut it down.
Yes... :pissedoff:

They didn't even have 2023 pricing out yet when they stopped taking orders. I would have seriously considered putting my name on the list but I wanted to know how much the Tremor package costs before I committed.

snoranger

Professional money waster
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'79,'94,'02,'23
Make / Model
All Fords
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I didn't ask for your life story, just answer the question!
Yes... :pissedoff:

They didn't even have 2023 pricing out yet when they stopped taking orders. I would have seriously considered putting my name on the list but I wanted to know how much the Tremor package costs before I committed.
That’s because they underestimated its popularity. They expected the order bank to be open a LOT longer than 5 days (for the hybrid, it was 6 for the ICE version.) They really should have opened the build and price a day or so before the order banks… but Ford hasn’t really had their shit together in the past few years.
FYI: You can place an order for a vehicle today (not the Maverick, obviously.) and change every option that you want all the way up until the day the schedule it for production.

ekrampitzjr

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
That’s because they underestimated its popularity. They expected the order bank to be open a LOT longer than 5 days (for the hybrid, it was 6 for the ICE version.) They really should have opened the build and price a day or so before the order banks… but Ford hasn’t really had their shit together in the past few years.
FYI: You can place an order for a vehicle today (not the Maverick, obviously.) and change every option that you want all the way up until the day the schedule it for production.
And that highlighted part in a nutshell is the big reason I'd hesitate to order a Maverick. A number of new Fords have had serious issues. EcoBoost, anyone? Undercarriage rust on brand-new pickups, anyone?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals