• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

What does Ford think the Maverick is for?

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
It was available from 2010-2014 in the Raptor and HD editions apparently.

That said, I'm pretty convinced Motor Biscuit is practically bot driven click bait nonsense at this point.
It was the fancier trim, like the limited or platinum.

Made about the same power as an ecoboost but used more room in the engine bay and fuel to do it, it was kind of a flop.

snoranger

Professional money waster
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'79,'94,'02,'23
Make / Model
All Fords
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I didn't ask for your life story, just answer the question!
It was available from 2010-2014 in the Raptor and HD editions apparently.

That said, I'm pretty convinced Motor Biscuit is practically bot driven click bait nonsense at this point.
So they’re comparing a new truck to a minimum 8+ year old truck that was designed and released over 12 years ago… Makes sense.

Roert42

RBV's on Boost
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
So they’re comparing a new truck to a minimum 8+ year old truck that was designed and released over 12 years ago… Makes sense.

Click Bait. 👉👉

Ranger850

Doesn't get Sarcasm . . .
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Born with a 3.0, looking for a donor V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock 2"
Tire Size
Stock
My credo
Doing things wrong, until I get it right.
Kinda like comparing the Maverick to the 2011 Ranger ???

or is that different?

What are we doing here?

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
Kinda like comparing the Maverick to the 2011 Ranger ???

or is that different?

What are we doing here?
I think the only reason the 2011 is in the equation is because it’s the only thing in the US market that is close in size outside of a Subaru Baja.

On a side note, the Ranger much of the world got before 2012 was a Supercrew and the bed was about the same size as the Maverick’s. There were a lot of them in Qatar when I was there in 2009 and 2014.

Chapap

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
1.5” till I get these springs replaced
Tire Size
225-70-R14
Any independent suspensioned vehicle ive been around has always had more issues then solid leaf sprung axles. The front ends (besides twin I beams, if you wanna class that as IFS), are bad enough for durability. Im not even talking getting beat on...just driving dirt roads in spring type stuff.

The more complicated and more moving parts make anything more likely to have issues.
The new Tundra has independent rear suspension (edit: wrong, solid axle with coils). The super off road racing vehicles are all independent. Then again, super heavy trucks (semis, flatbeds) have that solid front "axle" thing.
Not saying you're wrong... I have zero clue. Just noticing things.

Somewhere, I read that there's really no competition between the Maverick and Santa Cruz as far as being a truck. They Hyundai is litterally a Tucson with a bed, but the Ford has had tons of thought put into it to make it utilitarian.

Last edited:

rusty ol ranger

Im a Jeep guy now.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
The new Tundra has independent rear suspension. The super off road racing vehicles are all independent. Then again, super heavy trucks (semis, flatbeds) have that solid front "axle" thing.
Not saying you're wrong... I have zero clue. Just noticing things.
The tundra has IRS? That things always been a joke anyways.

Solid axles just work better for truck stuff

Chapap

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
1.5” till I get these springs replaced
Tire Size
225-70-R14
The tundra has IRS? That things always been a joke anyways.

Solid axles just work better for truck stuff
My bad... It has coils, but still solid axle.

superj

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger edge
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3 liters of tire smoking power
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
none
Total Drop
none
Tire Size
235s
My credo
Grew up in the 70s, 80s, and 90s
yup. its like those new dodge trucks. i bet it rides really nice but i wonder about putting a heavy load on it

and those astro vans in the early and mid 90s with 4.3 were hot rods. my dad had one that used to be a company van, before he switched to only rangers and mazda pick ups, and that sucker would smoke the tires all the way across the intersection. it was a straight cargo van though, no back seats, carpet, side windows, or anything. i used it as a surf van when i would come home on leave and my buddies would all ride in the back with the boards.

bilbo

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
yup. its like those new dodge trucks. i bet it rides really nice but i wonder about putting a heavy load on it

and those astro vans in the early and mid 90s with 4.3 were hot rods. my dad had one that used to be a company van, before he switched to only rangers and mazda pick ups, and that sucker would smoke the tires all the way across the intersection. it was a straight cargo van though, no back seats, carpet, side windows, or anything. i used it as a surf van when i would come home on leave and my buddies would all ride in the back with the boards.
I have a 2017 Dodge with the coil spring rear. It is definitely not as good as a leaf spring setup for heavy loads. I bought it because I needed a vehicle for hunting and camping. The gear for those activities is not particularly heavy but takes up quite a bit of space, and generally I put in a lot of windshield time so comfort was important to me. Also having an area separate from the cabin for stinky things like skunked dogs and dead animals was important, so the Suburban/SUV thing wouldn't work for me. The Dodge rides extremely well, better than any of the others I test drove, with light to moderate loads. 99 percent of my time is spent in those conditions. For the 1% of the time I have to haul a heavy load I just put up with the squat (Until I got the old F250).

Some people seem to buy their trucks for the 1% condition. I have a friend that bought a big diesel to haul his ski boat. Towing the boat was within the capabilities of any of the half-tons on the market at the time. It was great for the maybe 5x a year he hauled it further than from his cabin to the lake launch, but the rest of the time it was like cruising around in a Conestoga wagon with leather seats and bluetooth. Then the emissions system components started giving him trouble and he went looking for something different.

rusty ol ranger

Im a Jeep guy now.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
I have a 2017 Dodge with the coil spring rear. It is definitely not as good as a leaf spring setup for heavy loads. I bought it because I needed a vehicle for hunting and camping. The gear for those activities is not particularly heavy but takes up quite a bit of space, and generally I put in a lot of windshield time so comfort was important to me. Also having an area separate from the cabin for stinky things like skunked dogs and dead animals was important, so the Suburban/SUV thing wouldn't work for me. The Dodge rides extremely well, better than any of the others I test drove, with light to moderate loads. 99 percent of my time is spent in those conditions. For the 1% of the time I have to haul a heavy load I just put up with the squat (Until I got the old F250).

Some people seem to buy their trucks for the 1% condition. I have a friend that bought a big diesel to haul his ski boat. Towing the boat was within the capabilities of any of the half-tons on the market at the time. It was great for the maybe 5x a year he hauled it further than from his cabin to the lake launch, but the rest of the time it was like cruising around in a Conestoga wagon with leather seats and bluetooth. Then the emissions system components started giving him trouble and he went looking for something different.
Personally id rather be "over trucked" then "under trucked"

superj

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger edge
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
none
Total Drop
none
Tire Size
235s
My credo
thats why we have a full size crew cab. it pulls better than the ranger would have, when we really needed it. other than that, i don't need a full size and drive the ranger way more than the full size truck

rusty ol ranger

Im a Jeep guy now.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
thats why we have a full size crew cab. it pulls better than the ranger would have, when we really needed it. other than that, i don't need a full size and drive the ranger way more than the full size truck
Thats why i havent bought a truck yet to replace my 97 F250 HD. Im not paying out the ass for a 150,000 mi beat to piss superduty and the half tons in my price range are super nice but i dont think they would do what i do.

Atleast...not as well as a 3/4ton.

20210204_165056.jpg

That would break a 1/2 ton

superj

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger edge
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
none
Total Drop
none
Tire Size
235s
My credo
yup. my truck would have the wheels off the ground with that much wood in the back. i say keep that 250 too

rusty ol ranger

Im a Jeep guy now.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
yup. my truck would have the wheels off the ground with that much wood in the back. i say keep that 250 too
I dont know what that load weighed but it was heavy. The highest (known) load i had in it was 3700lbs of top soil. Basically just took the rake out of the suspension...this thing carries loads like no truck ive ever owned.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals