• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Aux Fuel Tank Questions

ford4wd08

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Hey guys,

Have some ideas I want to run to run by you all.

I'm working on my '87 F350 project and trying to figure out aux fuel tanks.

The truck has a stock mid fuel tank of about 17 gallons (not enough for a 460 for sure), and it has a flatbed with a tank mounted where a toolbox would go below the bed. I circled it in the picture.

I think this tank holds about 20 gallons. In this truck's former life, it had an electric pump mounted on the frame with a switch in the cab that pumped gas into the filler neck of the stock tank from the bed mounted aux tank.

I would like to come up with a better system, for sure one that can't run unless the truck is running so it won't over fill the tank. There were times when the pump was left on and ran the battery down etc.

What do you all think about this or have suggestions on how to improve it?

The flatbed mounted tank is lower than the stock mid tank so gravity won't work with this.

I am also thinking of adding a transfer tank/tool box combo to the bed. Once this truck is done I would use it to pull a camper vs always relying on F150 now.

We have a toy hauler camper that we go to racetracks on the weekends for my son and motorcross races. It is a pain to bring 4 5 gallon cans to keep gas in the generator, bikes, etc.

Is it possible to hank a transfer tank feed into a main gas tank? Maybe with gravity and a shutoff? I see where there are a lot of options for diesel guys online, but don't see much for the gas big block guys.

Don't know if there are rules for DOT on things like this or not?

Transfer tank would be something like this.

I guess you could just pump from a transfer tank into a truck, I don't think I would need the ability to have 100 gallons of gas, but just curious if it could be done.

Just spit balling. Do you guys have any ideas?

Attachments

superj

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger edge
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3 liters of tire smoking power
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
none
Total Drop
none
Tire Size
235s
My credo
Grew up in the 70s, 80s, and 90s
its legal here in texas to have an auxiliary tank for gas so check your state laws. i looked into adding a tank in the bed of my truck but never got past looking because that dang tanks cost so much. these all had the option to buy the wiring and everything with the tank so i am not sure about how any of it hooked up but i am sure you could wire the power to run through something that the ignition switch controls so it doesn;t continue running after the truck is turned off

ford4wd08

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
its legal here in texas to have an auxiliary tank for gas so check your state laws. i looked into adding a tank in the bed of my truck but never got past looking because that dang tanks cost so much. these all had the option to buy the wiring and everything with the tank so i am not sure about how any of it hooked up but i am sure you could wire the power to run through something that the ignition switch controls so it doesn;t continue running after the truck is turned off
Doing some more digging, I don't think you can use a transfer tank as a aux tank at the same time legally.

Like mentioned, not the biggest of issue, could always just pump some in if needed.

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
My buddy looked into this and the transfer tank company he talked to said that #1 they do not want you putting gasoline in their tank and #2 you can't legally use a transfer tank as a fuel tank. #1 sounded like it was simply their preference or an issue with whatever the tank was made of and #2 was a DOT regulation.

superj

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger edge
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3 liters of tire smoking power
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
none
Total Drop
none
Tire Size
235s
My credo
Grew up in the 70s, 80s, and 90s
ohhh. i answered only one part of your post. that part, yes, no idea on that part of it.

ford4wd08

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My buddy looked into this and the transfer tank company he talked to said that #1 they do not want you putting gasoline in their tank and #2 you can't legally use a transfer tank as a fuel tank. #1 sounded like it was simply their preference or an issue with whatever the tank was made of and #2 was a DOT regulation.
The RDS tank I shared the link to is Gasoline approved. I did notice there are some that are not or Diesel only. It even says you can do aviation fuel.

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"

ford4wd08

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Also, forgot to mention, my truck has the hot fuel option for the carb'ed 460. It has an electric in tank pump, but I don't believe it is a high pressure pump. It just pumps to carb and pushes gas through orifice to prevent vapor lock, and it has a return. So, I'll always have to feed the main stock tank, unless I get really creative somehow.

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
The RDS tank I shared the link to is Gasoline approved. I did notice there are some that are not or Diesel only. It even says you can do aviation fuel.
Yeah I think he was looking specifically at Titan (I think) Sidekick transfer tanks that fit behind the wheel wells and IIRC they were only approved for diesel. Not sure what goes into their R&D process for approving them for other fuels/liquids.

Now that I look at their site, they are actually OK with putting gas in them. I guess it has been a couple years since we talked about that.

ford4wd08

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Yeah I think he was looking specifically at Titan (I think) Sidekick transfer tanks that fit behind the wheel wells and IIRC they were only approved for diesel. Not sure what goes into their R&D process for approving them for other fuels/liquids.
I think it is more along the line of DOT certification/requirements for the tank construction. Also, you might only be licensed to build for Diesel tanks, vs. everything.

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
So… why not just go with a factory dual tank setup?

The 89 and 94 F-350s dad had (well, the 94 is mine now) and my 95 F-150 all had dual 20 gallon tanks. IIRC the rear tank in the 94 is poly but the front is steel. My F-150 I replaced both with poly because of rust. Both F-350s are 460s, but because of the rear tank design in them you lose the under bed spare tire, which I think is a small price to pay for having a switch on the dash to thumb and forget about.

I’m guessing a lot of the tanks that are diesel only may have something to do with gasoline being more volatile and tending to expand considerably compared to diesel (set a sealed plastic can of each in the sun and see which looks like a beach ball in short order). Last thing you want is a tank of gas splitting a seam because it wasn’t designed to handle it.

ford4wd08

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
So… why not just go with a factory dual tank setup?

The 89 and 94 F-350s dad had (well, the 94 is mine now) and my 95 F-150 all had dual 20 gallon tanks. IIRC the rear tank in the 94 is poly but the front is steel. My F-150 I replaced both with poly because of rust. Both F-350s are 460s, but because of the rear tank design in them you lose the under bed spare tire, which I think is a small price to pay for having a switch on the dash to thumb and forget about.

I’m guessing a lot of the tanks that are diesel only may have something to do with gasoline being more volatile and tending to expand considerably compared to diesel (set a sealed plastic can of each in the sun and see which looks like a beach ball in short order). Last thing you want is a tank of gas splitting a seam because it wasn’t designed to handle it.
I don't think I'll have room for the rear tank due to the massive hitch that was installed on this truck to haul a pintle hitch trailer. I keep the hitch because it's overkill.

I'll have to take a picture of it. My grandad had one of his mechanics at the mines install it, and he was known to over build stuff. My grandad was rough on stuff and probably towed more than this truck was ever intended to.

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
I don't think I'll have room for the rear tank due to the massive hitch that was installed on this truck to haul a pintle hitch trailer. I keep the hitch because it's overkill.

I'll have to take a picture of it. My grandad had one of his mechanics at the mines install it, and he was known to over build stuff. My grandad was rough on stuff and probably towed more than this truck was ever intended to.
Without seeing it, I can’t really guess. I do know that my F-150 rear tank is a flat tank that fits inside the frame rails. It allows for a spare tire and normal hitch. The dump trucks had a deep rear tank that didn’t leave room for a spare, but didn’t interfere with the hitch plate and pintle. Both tank designs are 20 gallon.

ford4wd08

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Hard to see pictures of the hitch but the ties back into the frame are what will likely be in the way.

Attachments

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals