• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

The Mustang is about to be the only kid on the block

Chapap

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
1.5” till I get these springs replaced
Tire Size
225-70-R14
Challenger, Charger, and Camaro are being shut down at the end of next year. That leaves a couple Nissans, Vette, Miata and some German cars as competition… and none of those are really in the same class. Is the Mustang soon to go too? Chrysler is doing it I guess to focus on electric? Do they even have any electrics? Wonder how long they’re going to stick to this 2035 deadline before they decide not to hand the market to their competitors on a silver platter. The Camaro wasn’t doing well, but may have done better without the challenger out there? What are cops going to drive?

Roert42

RBV's on Boost
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Interesting.

Didn't hear GM and Fiat were discontinuing their muscle cars.

Surprised to hear about the Fiat ones, out of all the automakers they seemed to be taking the IDGAF route as far as emissions goes.

Roert42

RBV's on Boost
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Maybe I'm just use to Ford completely changing the mustang every few years. It doesn't seem like GM has changed the looks on the Camaro since they started selling them again in 2010, just small stuff.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Charger/challenger/300 are going away so they can switch thd plants to EV production.

Answer for the Mustang:

And as of now Chrysler/dodge/jeep/ram have a couple plug in hybrids (pacifica/4xe Jeeps) but no pure EVs.

But Stellantis is a big company that has ev's under other nameplates that can and probably will cross over to cdjr if needed.

superj

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger edge
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3 liters of tire smoking power
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
none
Total Drop
none
Tire Size
235s
My credo
Grew up in the 70s, 80s, and 90s
hopefully they are more dependable, ha ha ha

stmitch

March 2011 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
2011 Truck of The Year
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Chrysler spent a lot of money developing a new twin turbo inline 6 cylinder to be used with hybrid drivelines:

They also talk a lot about "electrified" models quite a bit which is industry code for "hybrids" without using the dreaded "H" word. You can see Jeep's plan with similar verbiage, where they plan to "electrify" their entire lineup by 2025 and yet somehow they plan for 50% of sales to be all-electric by 2030:

Stellantis has a similar goal for just 50% of American sales to be BEV (fully electric) by 2030:

Considering that, I'd be fairly surprised if you can't get some sort of Dodge car with an ICE for a few more years. It's probably going to be a hybrid of some sort, perhaps with full EV as the top trim or distinct halo model. The key is to read through the marketing stuff and realize that "electrified" does not necessarily mean "100% EV" or "all electric/BEV".

Last edited:

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Chrysler spent a lot of money developing a new twin turbo inline 6 cylinder to be used with hybrid drivelines:

They also talk a lot about "electrified" models quite a bit which is industry code for "hybrids". And their goal is for 50% of American sales to be BEV (fully electric) by 2030:

Considering that, I'd be fairly surprised if you can't get some sort of Dodge car with an ICE for a few more years. It's probably going to be a hybrid of some sort, perhaps with full EV as the top trim or distinct halo model.
Hurricane is their answer for the ecoboost and whatever gm calls theirs.

Aside from a soft hybrid like the hemi etorque I doubt they will go into a hybrid.

Their main goal is to replace the 5.7 hemi with them eventually.

The engine is rather huge and 4-500hp ice isn't really neaded for a hybrid.

Very interesting how they split the head to put twin turbos on them. I look forward to seeing one in real life.

stmitch

March 2011 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
2011 Truck of The Year
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Hurricane is their answer for the ecoboost and whatever gm calls theirs.

Aside from a soft hybrid like the hemi etorque I doubt they will go into a hybrid.

Their main goal is to replace the 5.7 hemi with them eventually.

The engine is rather huge and 4-500hp ice isn't really neaded for a hybrid.
They seem to be either hedging their bets, or playing coy because none of the info I've found is clear cut either way. For what it's worth, the third bullet point in the press release issued by Stellantis when they unveiled the engine says
"-Hurricane twin-turbo I-6 designed to account for potential future integration with electrification for low-emission vehicles (LEVs)"

It may just be E-Torque. It may be something more substantial. It may never happen at all. But it seems like they have at least put a plan together for that possibility. And it would make financial sense for them to spread the engine costs out over as many vehicles as they can for as long as they can.

Other interesting/relevant statements from that same press release:
- "The Hurricane twin-turbo I-6 is the primary internal combustion power plant of the future in North America for vehicles using the STLA Large and STLA Frame platforms." (STLA Large is the platform that underpins the EV Charger Daytona concept...)
- "The 3.0-liter Hurricane twin-turbo I-6 shares design features, including bore and stroke and cylinder spacing, with the globally produced turbocharged 2.0-liter I-4. In North America, the 2.0-liter engine is currently available in the Jeep® Wrangler, Wrangler 4xe, Cherokee and recently launched Grand Cherokee 4xe." (Mentioning the similarities with the 2.0/4xE combo seems random unless they're foreshadowing similar hybrids)

In their overall "electrification strategy", they mention that the 4 upcoming STLA platforms will be "BEV Centric", which again sounds like marketing speak to me for hybrids with some full BEV models in the mix:

Last edited:

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
There are developmental fuels that produce emissions acceptable and allow for ice....there are ways to crack hydrogen as well. The plastic batteries have some hope...but batteries are filthy for fleet use.

Hydrogen and synthetic fuels will keep mopars roaring for many moons to come.

superj

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger edge
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3 liters of tire smoking power
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
none
Total Drop
none
Tire Size
235s
My credo
Grew up in the 70s, 80s, and 90s
those are some wide engines for being inline. they look like v engines. i wonder what that square looking box is on the side

stmitch

March 2011 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
2011 Truck of The Year
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
those are some wide engines for being inline. they look like v engines. i wonder what that square looking box is on the side
Water to air intercooler

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
They seem to be either hedging their bets, or playing coy because none of the info I've found is clear cut either way. For what it's worth, the third bullet point in the press release issued by Stellantis when they unveiled the engine says
"-Hurricane twin-turbo I-6 designed to account for potential future integration with electrification for low-emission vehicles (LEVs)"

It may just be E-Torque. It may be something more substantial. It may never happen at all. But it seems like they have at least put a plan together for that possibility. And it would make financial sense for them to spread the engine costs out over as many vehicles as they can for as long as they can.

Other interesting/relevant statements from that same press release:
- "The Hurricane twin-turbo I-6 is the primary internal combustion power plant of the future in North America for vehicles using the STLA Large and STLA Frame platforms." (STLA Large is the platform that underpins the EV Charger Daytona concept...)
- "The 3.0-liter Hurricane twin-turbo I-6 shares design features, including bore and stroke and cylinder spacing, with the globally produced turbocharged 2.0-liter I-4. In North America, the 2.0-liter engine is currently available in the Jeep® Wrangler, Wrangler 4xe, Cherokee and recently launched Grand Cherokee 4xe." (Mentioning the similarities with the 2.0/4xE combo seems random unless they're foreshadowing similar hybrids)
They just rattled off the applications of the 2.0 and love to namedrop the 4xe.

On the dealer side they seem to mainly be buiding up the hurricane to bump the hemi.

Like you say, after that who knows. But so far usually hybrids use fairly small engines.

For a hybrid 1500 sized critter I would think the 3.6 v6 would suffice being much lighter/smaller/cheaper.

doorgunner

Lab Rat for V.A. hospital
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
2009 Truck of The Year
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
New Orleans (8' below sea level & sinking)
Vehicle Year
1934/1989
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
350+1
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
N/A
Total Drop
3/4
Tire Size
23570R15
My credo
JESUS Loves Ya!
Maybe I'm just use to Ford completely changing the mustang every few years. It doesn't seem like GM has changed the looks on the Camaro since they started selling them again in 2010, just small stuff.
Let's hope the Mustang doesn't (d)evolve into a Name-Only generic car as it did in the'80s & '90's.

Blmpkn

Toilet enthusiast
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2.5"
Tire Size
285/75/18
My credo
Its probably better to be self deprecating than self defecating.

Roert42

RBV's on Boost
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Let's hope the Mustang doesn't (d)evolve into a Name-Only generic car as it did in the'80s & '90's.
“Too late”. -Mustang Mach E

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals