• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Dans 94, RCSB, 4.0, 4x4, 5spd

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
If memory serves there's a couple starter tooth options that can make a difference...

I'm running all stock thunderchicken stuff, just switched to DIS from the stock TFI, sure it's not perfect but was definitely the easy option and I had all the parts... I'm even running a stock Ranger air filter with the box lid off of a '89 2.9L with the same housing mine would have had but before it went MAF... if a couple things weren't janky it would almost look stock...

Dantheman1540

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
If memory serves there's a couple starter tooth options that can make a difference...

I'm running all stock thunderchicken stuff, just switched to DIS from the stock TFI, sure it's not perfect but was definitely the easy option and I had all the parts... I'm even running a stock Ranger air filter with the box lid off of a '89 2.9L with the same housing mine would have had but before it went MAF... if a couple things weren't janky it would almost look stock...

I like stock stuff, I’d love to ride in a turbo 2.3 truck. I bet it sounds pretty cool and unusual for a lifted truck.

Dantheman1540

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Wanted to mess with the starter this morning but everything was hot from driving it over to a clients house to fix his POS 5.4 triton work truck. Some moron broke every single coil pack clip so the connectors don’t stay on. One was worse than the rest so I zip tied them all down and the problem is solved!

Anyway back to ranger, I decided to ditch the spare tire holder and rear bumper because I hate it and need a functional receiver. I have several sticks of 4x4 square tube laying around that I’ve been saving for something like this. The plan is, high clearance design, get rid of the under tailgate gap from the body lift, incorporation of a receiver, and be bolt on/off using factory brackets/mounts.

So far this is what I’ve come up with. I ran out of time today, but the lower tube will have angled caps that tie it into the upper piece. Then the receiver will probably go directly into the bottom piece, possibly with some gussets on it as well.

Attachments

Dantheman1540

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Alrighty frustrated at my gauge cluster. I got the new T10 bulbs in and installed them all, but I still don’t have any of the lights coming on. The check engine light will now but that’s it. Not even the turn signals are illuminating now, are LEDs a total no go on early 94 clusters? They worked great in my 96 splash but that’s a whole different cluster style.

Dantheman1540

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Little more progress on bumper, added some angled pieces to tie in the bottom bar with. Need to pick up or scrounge a receiver from somewhere, and work on preping these pieces better.

Attachments

Dantheman1540

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Got most of the interior back together, I need to find door sills preferably aluminum because plastic sucks, also want to buy a cheap single din radio and two new budget waterproof speakers at some point but times are low on the list. The carpet fit alright, I’m a big chimp so my install is just okay, not great.

I still don’t have any cluster lights despite replacing all the bulbs, all I have is the battery lights, check engine, and ABS which is on all the time. The lack of gauge lights is frustrating but looking at the back of the cluster I think the film is messed up and nothings getting power correctly. Anybody know a good rebuild place for these?

Also anyone need to look at the 4x4 still, I replaced the electric shift fuse but still don’t get any lights to the push button panel on the dash.

Oh and the shift boot I got is too small, not sure what it was for, but when I screw it down the rubber is so tight I can’t get into all the gears.

Attachments

SenorNoob

TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1.5" Front + 4" Rear
Tire Size
245-70-R16
The shift boot you have looks like one I found in the yard near the F-150s.

Did the gauge lights ever work? Are your LEDs directional? Can you check for voltage from the light switch? Oh, the dimmer is turned up right? I've done that more times than I care to admit.

Dantheman1540

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
The shift boot you have looks like one I found in the yard near the F-150s.

Did the gauge lights ever work? Are your LEDs directional? Can you check for voltage from the light switch? Oh, the dimmer is turned up right? I've done that more times than I care to admit.
Funny I didn’t even realize the dimmer was part of the headlight switch, the switch works for headlights and turns the bed light on tho so I assume the switch is okay. The gauge lights flickered one small section once but not again. I’ll need to check to see if the LEDs are directional but all of them not working is sus.

I’ll come up with something for the shift boot but for now it’s fine and nice and quiet inside the cab.

I also got the thing registered today and picked up a silly license plate to go with it.

Attachments

Dantheman1540

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Second day it made it to work with no issues, with the big radiator it barely gets to temp but when it hits 190* I hear the fan kick on right away.

I welded up my bumper last night and slapped it on the truck. My plan was to use the factory mounts and reinforce them so the bumper is still bolt on/off. I’m not into permanently welding stuff to the frame if I can avoid it. Turns out the frame rails are a tad tweaked because the bumper sits about a half inch low on the driver side. I think I can massage the brackets to make it come up a hair tho. Then I need to grind all the welds in the front off to make it smooth, and hit it with some paint.

What do you guys think for paint, black? Or maybe a grey that matches the pinstripes like the classic ford tractor grey?

Also got a free side mount tool box from a buddy yesterday and took the brackets off so it will fit below the bedsides under the back window. Just need to come up with a mounting solution for it and get gas struts.

Attachments

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
I would just drill holes in some flat stock and shim the passenger side down. It sure looks like the tailgate would hit full up... it not it has to be too close.

With black wheels... I would paint the bumpers black myself.

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
From experience... those factory bumper bracket are pretty wimpy. Do you have the two support bracket that go out to the ends?

Dantheman1540

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
I would just drill holes in some flat stock and shim the passenger side down. It sure looks like the tailgate would hit full up... it not it has to be too close.

With black wheels... I would paint the bumpers black myself.
Spacing it down is my backup option, the tailgate actually opens just fine and did so with the bumper locked up nearly flush with the bottom of it. I expected to need to give it an inch or so but was glad I could close the gap.

Probably will get black because I have some por15 in black I can brush on it.

From experience... those factory bumper bracket are pretty wimpy. Do you have the two support bracket that go out to the ends?
So I don’t have the 45* brackets on it as of now, but it was a thought for the future. I did however add another 3/16” L angle bracket that bolts to the frame above where the factory bracket mounts. I haven’t drilled the holes or gotten bolts for it yet but the plan is to put them where the red is in this pic.

Attachments

Dantheman1540

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Didn’t do any work to the bumper, but the stuff to change the rear diff fluid showed up so I knocked that out. Found this Yukon cover for something like 45% off on Amazon so I picked it up for just over $100, along with a lube locker gasket (man I love those things), and 4 qts of cheap 75-90. Would have sprung for better fluid if I planned to keep this axle for a long time, but a 31spline with a locker is in the future.

Tomorrow I’ll do the Jeep Liberty PS pump swap (waiting on the pulley to arrive). Start on the bumper grinding, and probably trim the rear bedsides to match the angle of the bumper better.

Got close to 100miles on it this week around town and everything is working excellent.

Attachments

mtnrgr

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
6" Skyjacker, with 1.5" coil spacers, custom radius arms, custom traction bars
Tire Size
31x10.50
My credo
Lord God is my guardian
Your ranger is coming along really good 👍. Your doing a jeep ps change? Definitely take pictures like to see how that's done.

Dantheman1540

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Your ranger is coming along really good 👍. Your doing a jeep ps change? Definitely take pictures like to see how that's done.
Thank you! I forgot how fun these little trucks are, it’s such a go cart type feeling compared to driving heavy SUVs or full-size trucks.

The power steering pump is a Saginaw pump from a 2002-2006 V6 Jeep Liberty. There’s a kit from a company called proquipped that a buddy has had in his for a few years. Fairly simple swap especially since I had a spare bracket laying around from the old motor. The current PS pump sounds similar to my Magnusson super charger on one of my other trucks.

Attachments

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals