• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Should I keep my ranger "original"

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
Ditto. Not into the whole aftermarket strap on look. I see jeeps outfitted to hell that you can totally tell are complete pavement queens.

I am trying to figure out a sleek way to add lighting. So far I have a light bar that is on heavy magnets and removable. but it jiggles a lot. I gotta come up with a better removable system.
Do you need to have the lights high mounted? You could mount them behind the grill, if not. Of course, style of grill kinda dictates how do able that would be.

snoranger

Professional money waster
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'79,'94,'02,'23
Make / Model
All Fords
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I didn't ask for your life story, just answer the question!
I wouldnt leave it original, but I’ve modified leased vehicles.

stmitch

March 2011 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
2011 Truck of The Year
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
You're a part of the most advanced species on this planet. That truck is an inanimate object. Don't let that object tell you what to do. As long as it's not hurting any living thing, make that object what you want it to be.

A bone stock Ranger really isn't worth any more than a well kept and tastefully modded one, so there shouldn't be any financial reasons to hold back either.

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
I modify just about everything I own although my exception to that would be a really nice, low mileage, all original truck (if I had one) would be hard for me to change. It's only that way once.

I've got no problem putting anything else under the knife. As was mentioned sometimes it will increase the value. I bought a junker '89 a while back that had a butchered 4 cylinder swap and a lot of junk in it, bullet holes in the hood and no wheels/tires for $100. A 4.0, M5OD, Explorer 8.8 and D35 were swapped in and everything cleaned up really well. Sold it for $3500.

19Walt93

Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3"
Tire Size
235/55R16
My credo
If you don't have time to do it right will you have time to do it over?
I've never added lights to a vehicle- other than the ones on a plow frame- and now I can't stay out late enough to need lights except in the dead of winter when the days are short.
The trucks purpose in life is to make you happy, if you want to change something, do it.
There's a "pristine" Vega wagon in Hemmings this month for $25,000+, an old, rare turd is still a turd.

Eddo Rogue

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger 4x4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
OHV
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
skyjacker front leveling kit
Tire Size
31-10.50R15
My credo
Crossed threads are tight threads.
Do you need to have the lights high mounted? You could mount them behind the grill, if not. Of course, style of grill kinda dictates how do able that would be.
I would like to. I mounted some cheapos on the grill to try out, wasnt too happy with em and one already burned out from water getting in.
I have a ladder rack I may adapt to bolt on, and mount the light on that. I deally I would have a light bar high mounted and two better ones behind the grill.

Its funny you mention the grill. What started this thread was deciding not to replace my OEM grill with one of those fancy aftermarket grills.

doorgunner

Lab Rat for V.A. hospital
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
MTOTM Winner
2009 Truck of The Year
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
New Orleans (8' below sea level & sinking)
Vehicle Year
1934/1989
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
350+1
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
N/A
Total Drop
3/4
Tire Size
23570R15
My credo
JESUS Loves Ya!
Just don't go OVERBOARD with the mods.....
like some members do.....

;missingteeth;

Streetrod Banner 2014 Texas AGPETE (4).JPG

Streetrod Reassembly (1).JPG

Harley exhausts...talk about rumble!

Last edited:

Lefty

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Edge
Transmission
Automatic
Having friends who worked in the Ford Ranger assembly line, I find myself paying more and more attention to the little things that went into the original. I carefully replaced a lot of things that were stock. I got rid of the new aftermarket radio and replaced it with vintage. (By the way, they both sound the same). The old radio looks like it belongs there. And while I only listen to the radio, it is both a cassette and a disc player too. I replaced the hoodliner with one that in better condition, replaced the windshield, the rear window too, the center dash bezel, a tire change kit cover, and even the little round rubber stops inside the door jamb. I repainted the old rusty frame and had a body shop do the same on the top side.

Still I made some changes. I've put on new wheels and bigger tires, improving traction and increasing its value. Ford factory wheels were boring. Most show their age. The aluminums are rather boring. I added fender flares (which didn't come on stepsides like mine). Those flares help reduce the effects of mud sling that comes with those wider tires,

I added nerf style step bars so that my wife could get in easier.

Mine is an Edge which came from the factory with a three inch lift. I lowered it one inch to improve handling.

I trashed the heavy fiberglass Edge hood and replaced it with lightweight aluminum.

I had a dual exhaust installed to improve mileage and performance as well as brighten up the back end.

Regular cab step sides have become a thing of the past. No one else seems to have shed a tear, but this is a100 year old tradition. I chose to modify and create a retro look on purpose. Blackout headlights make them look like old round lights. I made a custom egg crate grill, a design which dates back as far as the fifties. I added some pinstripes. The old bed floor was beginning to rust out, so I made one from oak, so typical of older trucks.

Under the hood is an electric fan, a popular improvement here on the Forum, also a high performance intake filter. Both improve mileage and handling. I just added an uprated voltage regulator which keeps the battery charged even at idle with the air conditioner and all the lights on.

The word that many here use is RESTOMOD: Restore first then Modify, or Modernize, improving the truck's performance, maybe even giving it a custom look. It wasn't cheap, but then again, I'm driving a new/old truck, and driving it for much much less than a new Ranger, Bronco, or Maverick. i don't want to sell it. I love it, but if i did, I'm sure I would get more for it than if I sold one that is simply stock.

Attachments

Last edited:

superj

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger edge
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3 liters of tire smoking power
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
none
Total Drop
none
Tire Size
235s
My credo
Grew up in the 70s, 80s, and 90s
i like the stock look but upgraded performance. a sleeper so you can go fast when you need to, either through the turns or light to light.

but, my ranger is still stock because its not broke down to change anything yet.

Blmpkn

Toilet enthusiast
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2.5"
Tire Size
285/75/18
My credo
Its probably better to be self deprecating than self defecating.
That's what I thought about first-generation Mustangs and Camaros, when I was in high school- that they'd always be common, and cheap.

There's no better time than now to buy a the cleanest truck you can and stick it in the garage to (hopefully) appreciate over the next few decades! Once I have a garage, I'm buying something to do that with.. not sure what it'll be yet.

While it would definitely appreciate, even the cleanest, most optioned up first gens wouldn't get anywhere close to the level of desirability an old muscle car has imo.

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
I’ve gone different ways with my builds. My green Ranger is probably going to end up slightly lower than stock, it is supposed to look stock-ish (sleeper), and I’m tricking it out a bit with custom stereo, lighting and such. And the engine that should have been offered, 5.0.

My F-150 looks stock if you don’t look close enough. When you dump a ton in the bed, it still looks stock, except anyone that knows even a tiny bit about these is suddenly raising an eyebrow that something is amiss. I’ve upgraded a ton of stuff with mostly stock parts, just for a heavier truck, like a F-350. I wanted it stockish in appearance because it doesn’t draw attention when I’m using it for work.

My choptop was already hacked when I got it which was entirely fine for my purposes with it presently on 35’s. I don’t care that it’s not stockish. It’s towards the wild side and that’s what I wanted with it.

My 88 I’m heading for a resto-mod. I want it to appear stockish, but to anyone who knows these trucks it will be heavily modified.

It’s all what my purposes for it are and where I decide to go with it. It doesn’t bother me that I chopped the radius arms on the 88 to do extended arms. I did it for improved ride quality and flex possibilities even though I’m only shooting for a max 2-3” of lift (1-2” suspension and 1” body). That lift goal may be reduced, I don’t want it to appear lifted but I want it slightly lifted. Specific goals. My choptop I have no problem cutting more on the body to achieve what I want out of it. Sure, Bronco II s are getting more rare around here and there’s very few un-modded ones, but I have different goals.

So it’s really where you want to go with it. If you want a modded one but don’t want to mod your nice one, pick up another to mod to the hilt, not like they are super rare yet so that’s easy enough to do as long as you have the space to get another to mod.

RobbieD

2.9l Mafia
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Toonces drives a Ranger . . . . just not very well.
There's no better time than now to buy a the cleanest truck you can and stick it in the garage to (hopefully) appreciate over the next few decades!
Sick minds think alike.

The Twins. The green is the daily driver, and the white is the backup, that lives in the garage and is only driven occasionally.

20210101 twin X.jpg

Both are still all stock, and both are still factory original paint. They're both in great shape, well maintained, and dependable. Best of all- no car payments; and I think that they'll hold value, or maybe even appreciate over time.

As long as I can get parts (and gasoline!), I can keep them running myself without depending on a dealership or garage, or any "proprietary software" BS. I don't need a TV in my dash, and I don't need to adjust the house thermostat while I'm driving down the road. And I certainly don't need the damn thing to drive itself (I'm dangerous enough as it is, thank you). Basic transportation, baby.

It works out just fine for me, and I actually enjoy driving the old stuff. And it beats the hell out of walking or having to keep a horse around just to get to town.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
There's no better time than now to buy a the cleanest truck you can and stick it in the garage to (hopefully) appreciate over the next few decades! Once I have a garage, I'm buying something to do that with.. not sure what it'll be yet.

While it would definitely appreciate, even the cleanest, most optioned up first gens wouldn't get anywhere close to the level of desirability an old muscle car has imo.
Not a Ranger but even if you cut the price in half you have more than a lot of "classic" cars.

But yeah, market is more limited. Time marches on though, 80's stuff is pickup up in value (even before everything got all weird)

My goal is to make my truck look like it is stock while virtually nothing about it is stock. It a fun game once you get into it.

19Walt93

Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3"
Tire Size
235/55R16
My credo
If you don't have time to do it right will you have time to do it over?
Sick minds think alike.

The Twins. The green is the daily driver, and the white is the backup, that lives in the garage and is only driven occasionally.

View attachment 82575

Both are still all stock, and both are still factory original paint. They're both in great shape, well maintained, and dependable. Best of all- no car payments; and I think that they'll hold value, or maybe even appreciate over time.

As long as I can get parts (and gasoline!), I can keep them running myself without depending on a dealership or garage, or any "proprietary software" BS. I don't need a TV in my dash, and I don't need to adjust the house thermostat while I'm driving down the road. And I certainly don't need the damn thing to drive itself (I'm dangerous enough as it is, thank you). Basic transportation, baby.

It works out just fine for me, and I actually enjoy driving the old stuff. And it beats the hell out of walking or having to keep a horse around just to get to town.
We sold a pile of early Explorers but I don't think I've ever seen more than one 2 door at a time. It's nice to see them, it's a crime what road salt does to our vehicles.

Blmpkn

Toilet enthusiast
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2.5"
Tire Size
285/75/18
My credo
Its probably better to be self deprecating than self defecating.
Not a Ranger but even if you cut the price in half you have more than a lot of "classic" cars.

But yeah, market is more limited. Time marches on though, 80's stuff is pickup up in value (even before everything got all weird)

My goal is to make my truck look like it is stock while virtually nothing about it is stock. It a fun game once you get into it.
Damn, even came with a nice ATC lol.

Your right though, 80s stuff is getting up there. Gotta buy more 80s vehicles while we can.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals