• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Should I keep my ranger "original"

Eddo Rogue

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger 4x4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
OHV
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
skyjacker front leveling kit
Tire Size
31-10.50R15
My credo
Crossed threads are tight threads.
My beloved Ranger still has oem everything down to the bumpers. Aside from lil tweaks and fixes, I have done nothing that cannot be reversed.

I kinda wanna do stuff like steering/suspension mods, Bracketry for lighting, winches etc...maybe even custom bumpers ( I do work with metal by trade), but not invasively. Maybe just to the point of finishing where the ford engineers left off with the TTB.

Also at the same time I kinda dig the OG look. Even the "patina" paintjob I am attached to. I don't wheel crazy either, gnarly terrain I switch to 2 wheeled machine.

She was once admired by hollywood producers and art directors, although it was because the main character drove a crappy truck and they needed to "age" it, my ranger was a reference lol

That made me realize You can toss money and get shiny paint, but only the ravages of time can give my finish lol.

I baby my Ranger, as if its my exotic weekend vehicle. occasional pleasure drives or commutes. routinely implement 4hi and 4lo on my property to keep all that working smoothly. She is a princess.

Anyways what's your guys take on all this? perhaps I should just buy another ranger for hack mod build fabbing lol

Mine is a gem, original miles still under 100k (its a '93)

is there a phobia word for fear of hacking away for modifications?

rusty ol ranger

Im a Jeep guy now.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
I prefer the earned look myself. A few tasteful things are fine but IMO going after major mods in the case of a good shape original kinda ruins them.

If you want to start with one that is otherwise shot then by all means go to your hearts content...but they arnt making more of these older rangers and IMO we should preserve them as much as possible and keep them running stock hardware because eventually theyll be all gone or so far from stock theres nothing charming left.

I get more excited to see something old (not that 93 is old in my book, but you get the drift) that is a well kept original, or even a beat to hell solider still earning its keep on relativly stock stuff then one that been chopped up and "modernized" or whatever.

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
The absolute best example of taking over where Ford left off I've ever seen is @BlackBII white Ranger STX. You should go through his build thread for inspiration.

I like the OG look too... but Ford left it with a bit of room to improve. An inch of lift and level it up to give it a better stance would go a long way. Try looking at the factory brochures for some period correct accessories and maybe build your own replicas. I personally wouldn't be looking at new LED light bars... I would stick to period correct lights.

Biggest thing is just have fun with it... make it your own.

RobbieD

2.9l Mafia
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Toonces drives a Ranger . . . . just not very well.
is there a phobia word for fear of hacking away for modifications?
I think it's called " automotivedefloweringphobia ".

Tough call.

I like nicely modified trucks, both off road and street, but I also really like older, unmolested trucks.

Mine is a gem, original miles still under 100k (its a '93)
This kind of truck gets scarcer as time goes on. I just think that there's something special about a 30 year old survivor that's still stock and still a decent runner.

It can only be original once.

But they're not some kind of forbidden fruit or religious icon, either. If you'd enjoy the truck more with changes and improvements, there's nothing wrong at all in going for it.

19Walt93

Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3"
Tire Size
235/55R16
My credo
If you don't have time to do it right will you have time to do it over?
You should modify the truck if that would make you happier with it. Keep in mind, that Mad Max looking front bumper might impress the kids but it will punish anyone who has to work on it. Document any mods so you can refer to them in years to come when stuff needs to be fixed. I spent 2 summers working on a 351 swapped 57 T Bird with aftermarket fuel injection and no diag info- the man who was building it died and mid build. It wasn't fun.
You've probably noticed that I have strong opinions. Unless they're going to be used for serious off roading, I detest lifted trucks. You can lower any vehicle one inch and the numbest driver will notice an improvement in handling. Wheels with too little backspacing that make the tires stick out like Dumbo's ears- and throw rocks at the paint- are another pet peeve.
My Mustang has show quality black paint and I'm pretty sick of rubbing on it for hours and having dust settle on it in minutes. The paint on my Ranger is more livable, it looks good freshly waxed and still looks decent after driving in the rain. I've grown to like good enough paint jobs ,as to patina, if I want to see something weather beaten, I'll look in a mirror.

Eddo Rogue

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger 4x4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
OHV
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
31-10.50R15
My credo
I prefer the earned look myself. A few tasteful things are fine but IMO going after major mods in the case of a good shape original kinda ruins them.

If you want to start with one that is otherwise shot then by all means go to your hearts content...but they arnt making more of these older rangers and IMO we should preserve them as much as possible and keep them running stock hardware because eventually theyll be all gone or so far from stock theres nothing charming left.

I get more excited to see something old (not that 93 is old in my book, but you get the drift) that is a well kept original, or even a beat to hell solider still earning its keep on relativly stock stuff then one that been chopped up and "modernized" or whatever.
I agree. There are plenty of fiberglassed prerunner rangers out here. By shot I mean cosmetically, or already been hacked into for mods. My ranger is that, well kept, but weathered. I do get many compliments on the truck for some reason lol.

Eddo Rogue

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger 4x4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
OHV
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
31-10.50R15
My credo
You should modify the truck if that would make you happier with it. Keep in mind, that Mad Max looking front bumper might impress the kids but it will punish anyone who has to work on it. Document any mods so you can refer to them in years to come when stuff needs to be fixed. I spent 2 summers working on a 351 swapped 57 T Bird with aftermarket fuel injection and no diag info- the man who was building it died and mid build. It wasn't fun.
You've probably noticed that I have strong opinions. Unless they're going to be used for serious off roading, I detest lifted trucks. You can lower any vehicle one inch and the numbest driver will notice an improvement in handling. Wheels with too little backspacing that make the tires stick out like Dumbo's ears- and throw rocks at the paint- are another pet peeve.
My Mustang has show quality black paint and I'm pretty sick of rubbing on it for hours and having dust settle on it in minutes. The paint on my Ranger is more livable, it looks good freshly waxed and still looks decent after driving in the rain. I've grown to like good enough paint jobs ,as to patina, if I want to see something weather beaten, I'll look in a mirror.
My opinions are not too far off.

I loved things like mad max bumpers as a kid, now I like original bumpers that arent dented lol.
I used to detail cars through college, and got my fill of trying to keep shiny paint clean.

I hate backspaced wheels too and pavement queens too lol.

I do have the superlift leveling kit and love it.

19Walt93

Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3"
Tire Size
235/55R16
My credo
If you don't have time to do it right will you have time to do it over?
My opinions are not too far off.

I loved things like mad max bumpers as a kid, now I like original bumpers that arent dented lol.
I used to detail cars through college, and got my fill of trying to keep shiny paint clean.

I hate backspaced wheels too and pavement queens too lol.

I do have the superlift leveling kit and love it.
It ain't supposed to be level, the rear sits high so it won't sag when loaded. If you're happy, the truck is right.

Eddo Rogue

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger 4x4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
OHV
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
31-10.50R15
My credo
It ain't supposed to be level, the rear sits high so it won't sag when loaded. If you're happy, the truck is right.
in my case it was a "leveling" kit lol. The truck still sits rear high, just not super exaggerated like a stink a bug, or new ranger.

I personally like the front high pre runner look, which is functionally apt in my local terrain. But my truck is not a pre runner, it is a ranger. If I make it anything else, it will be an unmolested "overlander", or "bug out" vehicle lol. Currently it is a light duty work truck, dirt bike hauler, and "farm truck" for my mini acreage.

And yes, I am very happy with it. Rides much better both empty and loaded with the level kit. As much as I baby her, she does do work with me lol.

Also did the one piece driveshaft swap with excellent results. Will tackle the loose front end next.

BlackBII

Ranger Custom
Article Contributor
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
The absolute best example of taking over where Ford left off I've ever seen is @BlackBII white Ranger STX. You should go through his build thread for inspiration.

I like the OG look too... but Ford left it with a bit of room to improve. An inch of lift and level it up to give it a better stance would go a long way. Try looking at the factory brochures for some period correct accessories and maybe build your own replicas. I personally wouldn't be looking at new LED light bars... I would stick to period correct lights.

Biggest thing is just have fun with it... make it your own.
This is how I feel, make it your own. But I also like to stick with a mostly factory look as they are more timeless than aftermarket looking things like bumpers, light bars, etc

Blmpkn

Toilet enthusiast
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2.5"
Tire Size
285/75/18
My credo
Its probably better to be self deprecating than self defecating.
They made way too many rangers to bother keeping one completely unmolested imo. Dime a dozen.

RobbieD

2.9l Mafia
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Toonces drives a Ranger . . . . just not very well.
They made way too many rangers to bother keeping one completely unmolested imo. Dime a dozen.
That's what I thought about first-generation Mustangs and Camaros, when I was in high school- that they'd always be common, and cheap.

Eddo Rogue

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger 4x4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
OHV
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
31-10.50R15
My credo
I felt the same way about a lot of old vehicles...Mustangs, camaros, jeeps, VW beetles and buses, common GM square body, rangers and 22re toyotas....All rare now.

Anything not made of plastic or fake wood is rare now.

Eddo Rogue

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger 4x4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
OHV
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
31-10.50R15
My credo
This is how I feel, make it your own. But I also like to stick with a mostly factory look as they are more timeless than aftermarket looking things like bumpers, light bars, etc
Ditto. Not into the whole aftermarket strap on look. I see jeeps outfitted to hell that you can totally tell are complete pavement queens.

I am trying to figure out a sleek way to add lighting. So far I have a light bar that is on heavy magnets and removable. but it jiggles a lot. I gotta come up with a better removable system.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
Don't be concerned about modifying your truck, if that is what you want to do. Our trucks are a dime a dozen and aren't anything special to the most part. There are some limited production models out there but most of us don't have one of those. So, modifying your truck shouldn't hurt it's value if you ever go to sell it later. Depending on what you do, it might make it worth more, to the right buyer.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals