• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Old Ranger vs new Ranger

Bill

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
That's why I commented on it being designed for the European markets an soccer moms. From the right angle, it doesn't look bad but it wasn't designed with the truck enthusiast in mind, except maybe in the abstract. Most people buying vehicles of any kind are from the city and suburbia. So, that is who they cater to.
Most people buying vehicles have always been from urban areas. The European market has traditionally been short on trucks, but you could find a utility vehicle like the Defender. The best we have here now is a few of the Jeep products, which are getting a little too fancy inside. And the Bronco's interior is far from what a vehicle like that should come with. As far as being designed for any particular market, the designs have trended global for several decades now, so I think what we are seeing is a "one size fits all" business model from the auto manufacturers. I still think a simple frame-based utility vehicle would be a good seller. .

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
We have essentially the same truck, except for the cab. The best I've ever seen was 25. I wonder what we're doing different? I couldn't be the cap. That should be mpg neutral.
Our Bronco is a brick and it can almost get 25 with the same engine, smaller trans, deeper gear and taller tires...

Ozuye10

U.S. Military - Active
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
I’m getting 27-29mpg hwy in my 2004 XL 2.3L, 5pd, 2wd. No cruise control and I don’t feather it.

HenryMac

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2019, '31, '27
Make / Model
Ranger, A & T
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo, 350, 5.0 HO
Transmission
Automatic
Total Drop
Stock, about a foot, about a foot
Tire Size
LT 265/65 R17, P285/70R15 & P195/65R15, 820-15 & 500-15

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
  • I use cruise control a lot, even in town.
  • Always top tier premium fuel.
  • And once a week I do a Tony's Tune-Up.... From a stop, gas pedal to the floor up to 80mph.
  • And I drive the speed limit... except for the Tony's tune-up.
Those would contribute and add up. Unfortunately, other than family trips, I don't get to drive the '19 much. It's still performing it's mission as the backup vehicle if one of the primaries goes down and her's is still down.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
There's a feature that my 94 has that a new model lacks. It's paid for.
Two more years and it will have that feature. I'll be very happy when the payments are done.

Roert42

RBV's on Boost
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
87# of cab + about 100/150# of topper

Is not a marginal amount of weight.

plus it entirely possible Henry drives around with the truck completely empty and Sarg drives around with a bunch of rescue stuff tucked behind the seat.

I know 300/400# makes a giant difference in my 2011. Feels like a totally different truck.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17

plus it entirely possible Henry drives around with the truck completely empty and Sarg drives around with a bunch of rescue stuff tucked behind the seat.

I know 300/400# makes a giant difference in my 2011. Feels like a totally different truck.
Good points.

HenryMac

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2019, '31, '27
Make / Model
Ranger, A & T
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo, 350, 5.0 HO
Transmission
Automatic
Total Drop
Stock, about a foot, about a foot
Tire Size
LT 265/65 R17, P285/70R15 & P195/65R15, 820-15 & 500-15

I carry 300# of sand right up against the tailgate during winter (about 5 months a year). MPG drops to around 28.

Other than that, yes, typically empty with just me, 170 lbs, and my wife, 125 lbs.

001.JPG
002.JPG
003.JPG

Last edited:

Lefty

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Edge
Transmission
Automatic
*not self promotion* I shot a video comparing the two. Let me know your thoughts on the two.

I prefer the old Ranger too: better mileage, bigger pickup bed, easy to park, easy to load and unload, better handling too.

Ozuye10

U.S. Military - Active
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
I prefer the old Ranger too: better mileage, bigger pickup bed, easy to park, easy to load and unload, better handling too.
Totally agree mate!

Ozuye10

U.S. Military - Active
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual

JohnnyO

Moderator Emeritus
Supporting Member
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
1.5"
Tire Size
265/70-17
My credo
"220, 221, whatever it takes."
I average about 20 mpg on every tank and that's worlds better than the other Rangers and Sport Tracs I've had. My driving is mixed but it's very hilly in PA.
That said, I think it's hilarious that I can turn off the traction and stability control off (hold the button down for about ten seconds), mat the throttle, and the back tire breaks loose at 35 mph when the boost spools up.
You don't have to spend a crap-ton of money but you might have to order one. Dealer near my work had one that was exactly what I wanted, a 4x4 STX Supercab with the tow package and not much else, stickered for about $31k. My kids are grown and gone, I don't need a full back seat, and I'd rather have a longer bed and save $3k.
I don't care for the extra electronic gizmos but that's another reason for getting an STX, there's less of that stuff.
It is awful high in the back, looks nice but it can be a hassle reaching stuff in the bed. The Belltech lowering kit is gaining appeal.

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
Every new vehicle on the market is made for soccer moms. You can't find a basic vehicle with just A/C and a stock radio. The are all fully-loaded with what were options in the past and the options now are slightly different sound systems or the ability to pay a monthly subscription fee to access some option that is factory installed. You just have to pay an additional fee to enable it. The car manufacturers make the argument that this is what most consumers want. I disagree. I know there are consumers who want this stuff, but it's likely most of them don't want to pay for a lot of things they aren't going to use beyond power locks and audio. And when it comes to audio, a lot of people want the ability to customize their audio system the way they want it. And then there's there are people like me who really don't want all that stuff in a vehicle that I'm going to drive through the forests to go camping. Sometimes I think my 2007 XLT is too nice for these activities. Especially when I spend a day trying to get the dust off and out of the interior after a road trip.
Stock Radio? What is a radio?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals