• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Affordable, heavy duty, waterproof totes.

Blmpkn

Toilet enthusiast
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2.5"
Tire Size
285/75/18
My credo
Its probably better to be self deprecating than self defecating.
I'd like to purchase some for my camping gear. I've always just used regular totes bought at waltonworld or the like.. but they're just too flimsy and don't seal up as nice as I'd want.

Is there anything out there (bonus If it can be bought locally) for around 50$ a piece? Ideally able to be put in the back of my truck and driven around at 60mph in a rainstorm and keep its contents dry.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
I had an idea but as soon as you mentioned the price goal, these would blow that out of the water.

Roert42

RBV's on Boost
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I have a gang box I got at Lowes I use. Not water tight per say, but rain doesn't get in there. Mostly I keep the cooking and recovery gear in the box, tent and sleeping bag go behind the seat.

It doesn't seal, but is designed in a way that doesn't let water in, and has train holes in the bottom to let out condensation.

Plus it locks, if that's something your worried about.

If you don't need something that big, you could get one of those knock off pelican cases from HF. Those are actually water proof, just do not have much in the way of various seizes like the actual pelicans.

Blmpkn

Toilet enthusiast
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2.5"
Tire Size
285/75/18
My credo
I had an idea but as soon as you mentioned the price goal, these would blow that out of the water.
Pelican? Lol

I have a gang box I got at Lowes I use. Not water tight per say, but rain doesn't get in there. Mostly I keep the cooking and recovery gear in the box, tent and sleeping bag go behind the seat.

It doesn't seal, but is designed in a way that doesn't let water in, and has train holes in the bottom to let out condensation.

Plus it locks, if that's something your worried about.

If you don't need something that big, you could get one of those knock off pelican cases from HF. Those are actually water proof, just do not have much in the way of various seizes like the actual pelicans.
Locking isn't super important, but keeping things dry and clean definitely is. The harbor freight ones are too small unfortunately.. but I dont need it to be huge either. 20 gallons or so would do, I'd need two probably.

There's some husky branded ones at home depot actually.. pretry heavy plastic and they have a seal. Some people don't have a whole lot of confidence in the latches from looking at the reviews.. but I won't be too overly rough with these things so 🤷‍♀️ for 35$ a piece I think they'll be hard to beat.

Roert42

RBV's on Boost
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I've never really had water issues with the job box, I leave it outside all year round with my camping stuff in it. Pans, stove, paper plates, paper towels, toilet paper, ect.

What do you plan on keeping in it?

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
1663269698357.png

I went all in on these starting a couple years ago. I like they lock together and I even have the matching cooler.

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
This is going to be my next one. Should be long enough for my camp axe and a couple other things to long for the standard pro box.

1663270541608.png

CrabGuy

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2004-Bone stock
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Why should I pay someone else to screw it up when I can screw it up myself for free?
Pelican? Lol

Locking isn't super important, but keeping things dry and clean definitely is. The harbor freight ones are too small unfortunately.. but I dont need it to be huge either. 20 gallons or so would do, I'd need two probably.

There's some husky branded ones at home depot actually.. pretry heavy plastic and they have a seal. Some people don't have a whole lot of confidence in the latches from looking at the reviews.. but I won't be too overly rough with these things so 🤷‍♀️ for 35$ a piece I think they'll be hard to beat.

I have 4 of those and they are indeed waterproof and I use them on my boat also. They are small enough to lift over the tailgate even loaded with tools. I learned the hard way never to buy a storage box without some type of gasket seal. When traveling in wet weather my other totes had water forced under the lids if they were in the open bed.

JW20

Reaction score
Not exactly a tote but still light enough to move around. These things are pretty much indestructible unless you are trying to tear them up:

If that doesn't suit you, then these are a good option:

The way the lids are designed, you'd have to basically submerge them in water for the contents to get wet. I wouldn't trust the flimsy little tabs that hold the lids on, and any time I use these I put a few zip-ties through the holes to keep the lids on; you could probably accomplish the same thing with some hitch pins. The newer ones aren't as rugged as the older ones (they changed the thickness and type of plastic they're made out of). They'll still do just fine so long as you don't throw them out of the back of the truck and onto the ground.

Finally, another option is this:

I just recently purchased one of these to store my dirt bike gear in since I'm using my Ranger to haul my dirt bike and there's limited space in the cab. The latches are adequate to keep the lid on and it seems reasonably well made for the price. I was initially annoyed by the fact that it had wheels, but it's actually kinda nice since it's heavy when it's fully loaded with stuff. The smaller versions do not have wheels.

superj

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger edge
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3 liters of tire smoking power
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
none
Total Drop
none
Tire Size
235s
My credo
Grew up in the 70s, 80s, and 90s
Those rolling tubs are the ones we used for our tools and stuff doing plumbing. They rode in the back of the company rangers for years with no trouble and we never got water in our sawzalls or electric tools

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
Pelican? Lol
No not them or that expensive. I can look them up for you if you want. They are more of a cross between a crate and a tote but with the water resistance of a Pelican.

JW20

Reaction score
I just thought of another option. What about one of those mini Ridgid job boxes? There's a Husky version as well. I've seen the Ridgid 32" boxes on sale for $179:

They're small enough that you can move them on your own, much easier than the 48" version.

Blmpkn

Toilet enthusiast
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2.5"
Tire Size
285/75/18
My credo
I've never really had water issues with the job box, I leave it outside all year round with my camping stuff in it. Pans, stove, paper plates, paper towels, toilet paper, ect.

What do you plan on keeping in it?
I need one for 'kitchen' stuff and the other one for everything else.. lamps, fuels, stove, bug candles etc.
View attachment 82261

I went all in on these starting a couple years ago. I like they lock together and I even have the matching cooler.
Being able to lock together sounds nice.. the ridgid stuff IS probably at least a touch better quality than Husky too.. I'll definitely look around for these when I make it to home depot.
Not exactly a tote but still light enough to move around. These things are pretty much indestructible unless you are trying to tear them up:

If that doesn't suit you, then these are a good option:

The way the lids are designed, you'd have to basically submerge them in water for the contents to get wet. I wouldn't trust the flimsy little tabs that hold the lids on, and any time I use these I put a few zip-ties through the holes to keep the lids on; you could probably accomplish the same thing with some hitch pins. The newer ones aren't as rugged as the older ones (they changed the thickness and type of plastic they're made out of). They'll still do just fine so long as you don't throw them out of the back of the truck and onto the ground.

Finally, another option is this:

I just recently purchased one of these to store my dirt bike gear in since I'm using my Ranger to haul my dirt bike and there's limited space in the cab. The latches are adequate to keep the lid on and it seems reasonably well made for the price. I was initially annoyed by the fact that it had wheels, but it's actually kinda nice since it's heavy when it's fully loaded with stuff. The smaller versions do not have wheels.
Considering there's not much worse than having to carry heavy crap around on vacation.. those rolling boxes are quite appealing 🤔

No not them or that expensive. I can look them up for you if you want. They are more of a cross between a crate and a tote but with the water resistance of a Pelican.
If you would that would be awesome. I don't mind paying a bit of a premium to turn it into a 'buy once, cry once' situation.

Jim Oaks

Just some guy with a website
Administrator
Founder / Site Owner
Supporting Vendor
Article Contributor
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1996 / 2021
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 / 2.3 Ecoboost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6-inches
Tire Size
33x12.50x15
1054811.jpeg
I have a 53-gallon Contico TuffBin that I bought at Tractor Supply that I keep my camping gear in. When it's time to go camping I just stick it in the truck and go.

Blmpkn

Toilet enthusiast
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2.5"
Tire Size
285/75/18
My credo
I have a 53-gallon Contico TuffBin that I bought at Tractor Supply that I keep my camping gear in. When it's time to go camping I just stick it in the truck and go.
For whatever reason.. I never think of tractor supply for anything lol, thanks for the heads up.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals