• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Thoughts on potential purchase

Lefty

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Edge
Transmission
Automatic
I may be different than other members, but I believe that price is not everything. This truck is an antique. It's hard to find old trucks in good condition. If that's what you want, then buy it, especially if you like vintage. Quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten.

Should you want to restore it to brand new showroom condition, or maybe make some modifications and improvements, then you will not need to spend a lot of time and money. A new paint job, for example, might cost another $10,000. I would also call Ford and check the vin # to verify the year in which it was made.

Then again, if you are just looking for an old beater to haul sod and gravel then maybe the price is too much.

Keep us posted.

Attachments

Last edited:

rusty ol ranger

Im a Jeep guy now.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
I agree with Lefty. If it's what you want and the price is acceptable to you, go for it. It's low mileage and appears to be in great condition. It's very basic truck - no A/C, manual windows, etc. But it should be reliable and easy to work on.

I personally wouldn't pay that much. But I'm not going to bad-mouth the price. The market may bring that price.

Lefty

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Edge
Transmission
Automatic
I may be different than other members, but I believe that price is not everything. t's hard to find old trucks in good condition. If it's what you want, then buy it, especially if you like vintage.

I drove rusty for 20 years, but I am much happier now with one that has been restored. Quality is remembered long after the price is forgotten.

Once again, it all depends on you. If it were me, I would purchase it and restore it to brand new showroom condition, then maybe make some modifications and improvements. I'm just that way. On the other hand, if you are just looking for and old beater to haul sod or gravel, then the price is too high.

Keep us posted.

Attachments

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
Mine used to look like that.

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
I agree with Lefty. If it's what you want and the price is acceptable to you, go for it. It's low mileage and appears to be in great condition. It's very basic truck - no A/C, manual windows, etc. But it should be reliable and easy to work on.

I personally wouldn't pay that much. But I'm not going to bad-mouth the price. The market may bring that price.
I would agree with this.

On that same note: I am curious whether these old trucks actually sell for their asking price or if the owners end up taking far less. I have yet to meet anyone who will admit to paying $8500 for a '95 Ranger... and I have yet to meet anyone who actually sold one like that. My mind could be changed but IMO high priced trucks like this just disappear from the market from lack of interest or the owners end up selling it for a reasonable amount and are too ashamed to talk about it.

I just feel like MOST people who are in the market for a '95 Ranger just want a cheap beater truck. The people who want a really nice one AND have the disposable income to drop a large amount of money on one are very few and far between.

Lefty

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Edge
Transmission
Automatic
I bet it would look great with just a good detail job: a pass with a clay bar, a buffer, and a little bit of wax. You could always haggle a little, but do it soon.

Chapap

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
1.5” till I get these springs replaced
Tire Size
225-70-R14
A/C compressor is correct.

It sure is a sellers market... that's one clean little low mileage Ranger...

You will have to pay up...
I don’t think it’s a sellers market anymore. I think most people have grown accustomed to Brandon’s economy. Instead of listing a $2k truck for $3k, it’s $6k for $8k. That certainly make a good case for a $24k new car tho. There’s still the issue that new, super-computerized cars will probably be a pita to get to 150k miles.

After all, a 4pc tender meal is $15 at Popeyes.

Last edited:

Fast Eddie

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger Edge
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
2x4 on 4x4 Factory Chassis
Tire Size
235/75/15

Craig0320

Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Break it right the first time. Fix it better the next time.
NO A/C HELL NAWWWWWW! 4000 dollar truck now. Gotta have my a/c.

rusty ol ranger

Im a Jeep guy now.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...

Ranger850

Doesn't get Sarcasm . . .
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Born with a 3.0, looking for a donor V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock 2"
Tire Size
Stock
My credo
Doing things wrong, until I get it right.
It's not an AC equipped car. Note AC settings are missing, unless they're someplace else on a 95.
View attachment 82182
I knew what it was, really. Just figured "somebody else" would be more right than me. There seems to be a guy or two that corrects me, even if I'm right, they find a way to be "more" right

rampage41

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Hello,
I found this truck on craigslist and it looks to be in awesome condition. But for the year the price seems high. Wanted to get your thoughts.

UPDATE: i got the sense the seller inherited the truck, they stated their lowest price would be $7500. I offered them $5500 and that was a hard no. The closer i get to $10k on any of these trucks the closer i get to just buying a new one.

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
UPDATE: i got the sense the seller inherited the truck, they stated their lowest price would be $7500. I offered them $5500 and that was a hard no. The closer i get to $10k on any of these trucks the closer i get to just buying a new one.
It's like inheriting a diamond that really turns out to be a nice piece of quartz. People have just lost their minds.

Chapap

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
1.5” till I get these springs replaced
Tire Size
225-70-R14
I'm probably going to get rid of the Ranger unfortunately. Needed more truck and I just don't have a need for two truck sizes. For 5 digit$ I'd recommend a Dodge 3/4 or 1 ton with the 12 (94-98) or 24 (98.5-02) valve Cummins. That's what I did. I'm partial to the 12v cause the engine is 100% mechanical. I'm not too sure how much computerization the 24v got, but it's got some. Ford 7.3 IDI was second place. My 96 Ram had 95k miles and in incredible shape for $11k. Should have been $7k tho 😒

I may end up needing an actual back seat, but the addition of an Elantra or Sonata will be cheaper than any crew cab could possibly get.
Ram.jpg

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals