• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Putting up a pole

97RangerXLT

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2"
Tire Size
31"
When i worked for the telephone company, they set those types of poles so the center of gravity was about 7 ft above ground. That put about 4 ft in the ground

AJ

rusty ol ranger

Im a Jeep guy now.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
After i did some more looking and figuring y might just lop an extra foot or so off the pole. So it would be 10 ft above ground. Its going just to the left of the posthole diggers in this pic, as you can see the parking is tight but i have my 18ft equip trailer, my 6x10 utility trailer, F250 and ranger all parked back there and i can get them in and out without moving shit.

20220913_134545.jpg

Roert42

RBV's on Boost
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My not just mount the light on one of those trees, the side of the house, or what appears to be a sea container(on the left)?

Looks like you have a tree about the same diameter and position you want the pole installed already.

rusty ol ranger

Im a Jeep guy now.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
My not just mount the light on one of those trees, the side of the house, or what appears to be a sea container(on the left)?

Looks like you have a tree about the same diameter and position you want the pole installed already.
I thought about bolting it to the tree....but eh. Just me doing things the hardway.

That building to the left isnt mine, and if i put it on the shed it wouldnt shine where i really wanted it to.

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
If it is only going to have the light on it, that’s really no load. 3-4 ft, tightly pack the back-fill around it and it’s good. I installed a 16ft pole like that with a light on it 30 years ago. 4Ft buried. Still standing. Customer never had to call me back. I also smeared rooking tar on top and nailed on a cap made out of aluminum flashing to prevent water from soaking into the end grain on the top.

If it was structural, holding tension from heavy cables, or part of a building or tall fence, I would maybe add concrete. But a yard light isn’t going to make it fall in the wind.

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
^^^
I like the idea of a cap.

Eddo Rogue

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger 4x4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
OHV
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
skyjacker front leveling kit
Tire Size
31-10.50R15
My credo
Crossed threads are tight threads.
The humble cap is under rated, especially on a metal pole.

Saddle Tramp

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
We put in 20 foot 4x3 aluminum square tubing poles 3 feet in the ground at work for street lights all the time.

I would say that yours will be just fine at that depth especially if you throw in two bags of concrete.

We use aluminum because the residents keep hitting them with their cars. Florida retirement community

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
We put in 20 foot 4x3 aluminum square tubing poles 3 feet in the ground at work for street lights all the time.

I would say that yours will be just fine at that depth especially if you throw in two bags of concrete.

We use aluminum because the residents keep hitting them with their cars. Florida retirement community
Do you get cold in the winter? Like as in water freezes? And then ground freezes too? Because I think that can happen in other parts of the country... maybe not in Florida...lucky sob!

snoranger

Professional money waster
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'79,'94,'02,'23
Make / Model
All Fords
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I didn't ask for your life story, just answer the question!
The rule of thumb is to bury the pole 10% of its overall length + 2’. That puts you at 41”.
I assume @RonD looked up the actual frost line and is accurate at 42”… that’s the minimum I would go with no matter what the height is.

Ranger850

Doesn't get Sarcasm . . .
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Born with a 3.0, looking for a donor V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock 2"
Tire Size
Stock
My credo
Doing things wrong, until I get it right.

superj

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger edge
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3 liters of tire smoking power
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
none
Total Drop
none
Tire Size
235s
My credo
Grew up in the 70s, 80s, and 90s
since we have to deal with hurricane and their winds so much, i get the post holios and dig until the handles are ground level and just stick the posts in with no concrete. my fence and carport have made it through all the hurricanes in the last 7 years and didn't lean or lift. (the neighbor did his the "right" way, concrete and going down whatever distance, and the first strong tropical storm blew his fence down into my yard. my carport is tall enough to put my traveler trailer under and i still have 10" above the ac so i can work on it, so its close to 12' tall

i always just dig deeper so i don't have to try and fix leaning stuff. thats just how i have always done fences and posts

4x4prepper

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
No matter what you decide to do, make sure the pole is sitting on a solid tamped bed of gravel and n ot stuck into solid concrete, stone, or clay. Part of the code for pouring construction pads or footers is having gravel underneath to provide water drainage or overtime it can erode the base under the poured concrete structure. When using sonar tubes you are suppose to put a 2" layer of gravel under it for that same reason.

Myself, I would follow the 10% plus 2 feet rule, be sure to be under the frost line, and set it on gravel. Concrete optional. I will tell you I buried my 8+ foot ,1/4 wall, 4 " pipe, about 32" deep for a gate, and when I got my B2/two axle trailer stuck, I ended up using it as an anchor point and started pulling it out of the ground. I moved it a good 2 inches sideways and compressed the soil, before I decided to use a 20" tree instead about 50 feet beyond it for a block anchor point.

When I take it out of the ground to be reset, it is going to be 36" deep (frost line is 32") and 6-7 bags (50#) of concrete in a 8x8 or 12x12 hole, with #3 or #4 rebar, so I can actually use it for pulling.

superj

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger edge
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3 liters of tire smoking power
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
none
Total Drop
none
Tire Size
235s
My credo
Grew up in the 70s, 80s, and 90s
i put two more 4x4s in the front yard because the stupid neighbors won't stop driving through the front of my yard to parallel park in front of their fence. i put 36" in the ground and 12" above ground with red reflectors all the way around.

if they hit the posts and tear something off their car, tough crap. if they pull them out, i will go to 10" schedule 80 pvc filled with concrete and rebar, like i did for the mail box that time. i asked the multiple times to not drive through the yard and spoke to the landlord about it. neither care so we get to play rougher now. i already spoke to the police too, their answer is to get them on trespassing. i like physical barriers. they actually stop stuff

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

No members online now.

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals