• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Ford ranger 5.0 swap

Hunter king

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Transmission
Automatic
I’m trying to figure out if there is 2wd automatic transmission that will mount up to a 2000 Ford Explorer 5.0 engine to use in a ford ranger swap or can I just use the awd trans that comes with it and take out the shaft running to the front. Need answers asap

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Welcome to TRS :)

You can use AWD power train in a 2WD but it won't Hold in Park on a hill, which can be an issue, lol
AWD is different that 4WD, AWD uses a fluid coupling in transfer case, without front driveshaft and wheels to hold it it can slip
4WD is direct drive, but shouldn't be used on dry pavement like AWD can

The 4R70W automatic transmission came in 2WD or 4WD/AWD versions, and on the 5.0l OHV engines
Not all V8 Explorers/Mountaineers were AWD/4WD, a lot were 2WD
So just trade, or sell and buy, a 2WD version
Your 4R70W with transfer case is worth something to some one

Plug and play for 5.0l Explorer computer, 2WD or 4WD is not part of engine computers software, its a separate control system

Bookmark this page: https://www.therangerstation.com/tech/

Look in the engine section or Conversion section for V8 swap articles

Last edited:

Hunter king

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Thank you for this info. So as long as I use my parking brake Will it be fine with it mounting up to my existing tranny mounts. Like will that transmission fit and work with me just letting the transfer case hang there without a shaft going to the front. And is there anything else that the trans for that went into besides the explorer like a f150 or something.

Hunter king

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Can I use the 4r70w automatic 2wd from a f150 on my 2000 5.0 that came out of a explorer

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
Considering I’ve bought a running driving AWD Explorer missing the front shaft and one (oddly) missing the rear shaft, I’m gonna say the AWD case doesn’t really care.

Hunter king

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Considering I’ve bought a running driving AWD Explorer missing the front shaft and one (oddly) missing the rear shaft, I’m gonna say the AWD case doesn’t really care.
Dose that mean I can use the 2wd 4r70w from a f150. will it bolt up and work with the 5.0 explorer engine

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
Dose that mean I can use the 2wd 4r70w from a f150. will it bolt up and work with the 5.0 explorer engine
That, I do not know for sure. I would think it should if the bellhousing is a match though. May need a different driveshaft or way to adapt it, not really sure on that one. I’m doing a straight swap, Explorer 5.0, auto, AWD into a 4x4 Ranger so I’m using the AWD case and bolting up the driveshafts

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
F-series would have to have had a 5.0l OHV engine, so 1993-1996 with 4R70W
1997 to 2001 only the Explorer and Mountaineer used the 5.0l OHV

fastpakr

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
285/75-16
F-series would have to have had a 5.0l OHV engine, so 1993-1996 with 4R70W
1997 to 2001 only the Explorer and Mountaineer used the 5.0l OHV
Would a 4.2 4R70W not work?

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
The 1997-2003 4.2l V6 had same bolt pattern as 5.0l OHV, have to drill out the holes 1/16" but should work

Benny87

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger
Transmission
Manual
Ok I am not new to the ranger seen but am new to the v8 swap seen taking a 2.8 an manual 4 speed out an want to put my 302 with a aod in what is the easiest way about going to that do I buy the swap mounts or do I use the early 90s mustang convertible mounts

Angie

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
92 & 83 project
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.0L 302
Transmission
Automatic
hi benny and welcome.

every swap is unique to the builder and from what i have read, no 2 builds are the same. what is easy for one person could be extremely painful to another. my suggestion is to read all the posts you can find and make notes. believe it or not, on my 83 build I am still using the 83 motor mounts that where with the 2.8. (modified, but worked) as it was a cab off frame build. it was the mounting plates that were modified to fit properly.

cheers

35Remmy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.9, 4.0
Transmission
Automatic
Benny, Angie is spot on. My 88 is 4wd amd used the James Duff heavy duty mounts for HP purposes (made me feel better about it I guess)...BUT...the spot i had my engine builder weld a bung into the oil pan (the Ford "Performance" dual sump pan comes with a dipstick but no dipstick hole lol) there is no provision for a dipstick because the Duff mounts are blocking the hole. I also had to grind material off of the mounts as im running an aftermarket Dart block, so idk if that made a difference as well...."Duff" headers were a royal PITA to install....and they leak, so need to address that now. I will tell you that the convertible mounts would be MUUUUUUCH easier to install (as would making your own mounting plates)...i used my trans to locate the engine in the proper location on the crossmember....it was still a ROYAL pita to finally get right. Aftermarket radiator that fits inside of the core support, then had to try MANY different combinations of flexible hoses and clamps to FINALLY make it work. With a 2" body lift I had to make no modifications to the firewall seam...the list goes on and on and on and the charges to the checking account are almost done. I would NEVER, EVER do this again....was a frame off restoration (88 Hi-Rider on 35s now, 8.8 rear built to hell, dana 35 front, built c4)...was my first vehicle when i was 18, im 42 now and has been in the garage the last 19 years...never had the funds to do it back in the day....do TONS of research, the guys here are EXTREMELY helpful and go out of their way to take the time out of their day to help as much as they can. Their knowledge is indispensable.....for what its worth we had a 98 Explorer AWD 5.0....over 250k miles when we did the cash for clunkers thing back in the day (we were poor and needed a new vehicle)...that 4R70W shifted like new. I always LOVED how that thing shifted.

don4331

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Mustangs with 3.8 are excellent source of 4R70W 2wd transmissions, that's where I got mine from.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals