• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Push Starting a Newer Car

bilbo

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
I have a 2014 Fiesta with a manual trans that the starter went out on. Is it possible to pus/roll start a newer car? Last time we tried, with this same car, it didn’t work. But it was colder than the ninth circle of hell and we didn’t try all that hard. I’d like to move it into a warm garage to replace it if I can.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
I was able to do it with my 2011 Ranger. That's the newest vehicle I have with a clutch. I also have the benefit of a rather nice hill to get a good roll on too.

rusty ol ranger

Im a Jeep guy now.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
177 CID
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
A legend to the old man, a hero to the child...
I did it with an 08 colorado. Just be prepared for dingers and lights

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Yes, if its a manual transmission, you can push start it, but.................

If its a Push Button start then there can be complications to getting it started that way

bilbo

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
It uses a key to start. I'll hopefully be giving this a shot this weekend. I got hit with Covid round 2 Monday night and haven't been able to mess with it. Not to mention it's been highs below zero every day this week.

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
I had a base model 2000 Silverado 5 speed truck a while back that I could not roll or push start. I tried it just for fun a few times and the dash lights would flash but it would not start. I'm not sure how roll start was disabled on that truck but it was somewhat of a bummer.

-Nate

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XL
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
My credo
Nothing is so difficult it cannot be overcome by brute force and ignorance =8-)
So ;

Did you ever get it going by bump starting ? .

Most use too low a gear, never, EVER use first and many moderns second gear is too high to work well .

I remember rolling rusty junkers down the road on the farm in the mid 1960's, that was a serious PIA because you had to use top gear and either the engine turned too slowly to catch or the rear tires just slid on the snow.....

dvdswan

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT 2WD
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Keep your mind like an umbrella, it only works if its open... Continually learning.
Most vehicles need a by-pass switch so it will turn over with the clutch out.

19Walt93

Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3"
Tire Size
235/55R16
My credo
If you don't have time to do it right will you have time to do it over?
My not-mechanically-incline neighbor tried to start his son's Honda by coasting it down our steep hill and dumping the clutch. Despite his college degree, he did not realize that wouldn't work on a car with an electric fuel pump, electronic fuel injection, and a stone dead battery. He got it stopped without crashing and I loaned him a battery charger after jumping it with my Ranger.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Safety switch only prevents starter motor from working unless clutch pedal is down, if there was a pedal up safety switch then engine wouldn't ever run
Engine computers use crank or cam sensors to initiate spark and fuel delivery, nothing else, so if computer is on and it detects engine rotation it will start spark and then fuel

A totally dead battery, under 5volts, could prevent rolling startup

An Alternator needs "startup voltage" so it can generate voltage, and there in lies the problem if there is a dead battery
Key on and no dash lights at all means no "startup voltage" for alternator, so no amount of spinning the alternator will get it to start generating power
So no computer, or fuel pump, so no spark or fuel delivery

If battery had at least 9v, key on, so some dash lights it should roll start OK
Once engine is spinning above 500rpm alternator would generate 14volts and computer would come on, then spark and fuel pump, so engine would start

Last edited:

tinman_72

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Factory
Total Drop
None
Tire Size
255/60R15
My credo
RoHS compliant
My not-mechanically-incline neighbor tried to start his son's Honda by coasting it down our steep hill and dumping the clutch. Despite his college degree, he did not realize that wouldn't work on a car with an electric fuel pump, electronic fuel injection, and a stone dead battery. He got it stopped without crashing and I loaned him a battery charger after jumping it with my Ranger.
I have roll started my '93 Ranger with electric fuel pump, electronic fuel injection and a dead battery many times....

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
There is a low battery which can't spin the starter motor, so under 11.5volts usually
A "dead" battery, 0 volts, or removed battery, 0volts won't allow startup

If you turn on the key and can see the Battery Light/Charge light then push starting won't be an issue
No light means no start

You can change to a 1 wire alternator, and never need a battery, lol
Or a Generator, the bad ol' days :)

Neither of these need "startup" voltage

Any regular alternator needs about 5 to 6volts at the regulator to turn on the regulator, and only then can alternator output voltage to the vehicles systems, i.e. spark and fuel

You could roll the vehicle down Pike's Peak for 10 miles in 3rd gear at 3,000rpm and never get a volt out of an alternator that wasn't "turned on", lol

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
Relays need about 7 volts to switch which is the cutoff for a lot of things... Some new cars with computer controlled starters have a deal where if the computer doesn't control the starter (or at least think it's controlling the starter, if you parallel the system it works...) it won't work. The GM stuff we deal with at work will do that, I can turn it off but basically if it's so enabled if the computer isn't controlling the cranking it won't enable fuel and spark even though there's rpm...

4x4prepper

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
There is a low battery which can't spin the starter motor, so under 11.5volts usually
A "dead" battery, 0 volts, or removed battery, 0volts won't allow startup

If you turn on the key and can see the Battery Light/Charge light then push starting won't be an issue
No light means no start

You can change to a 1 wire alternator, and never need a battery, lol
Or a Generator, the bad ol' days :)

Neither of these need "startup" voltage

Any regular alternator needs about 5 to 6volts at the regulator to turn on the regulator, and only then can alternator output voltage to the vehicles systems, i.e. spark and fuel

You could roll the vehicle down Pike's Peak for 10 miles in 3rd gear at 3,000rpm and never get a volt out of an alternator that wasn't "turned on", lol
Yes, after schooling myself more on alternators and knowing I want to swap in a 100+ AMP alternator for my inverter and winch, I have been looking at one of these :

DELCO HEAVY DUTY ALTERNATOR - 21SI - 130 AMP - 1 WIRE on E-Bay. Though I am seriously considering a real marine alternator instead.

I am pretty sure it will be a close swap.

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
For a big marine alternator I think the 9SI or 11SI (I've never made sense of the SI numbers but we use the 7, 9 and 11 at work...) is decent, fairly easy to wire, it has a sense and ignition wire but that's not too complicated. Marine alternators just mean that they can't make an internal spark, doesn't mean they're waterproof or anything...

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals