• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Nissan Frontier Pro-4X

Ozuye10

U.S. Military - Active
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Manual
Anyone ever own one of these? I had a 2011 Xterra Pro-4x and it was badass but not very practical as a daily because of all the mods and super shit fuel economy. I drove a 2018 Frontier Pro-4X the other day and it reminded me of the Ranger Edge 4x4 in a good way. I don’t like the new ones and they are $46k 🤣. I’m wondering why this truck didn’t get more love in the industry, seems pretty great.

Attachments

superj

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger edge
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3 liters of tire smoking power
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
none
Total Drop
none
Tire Size
235s
My credo
Grew up in the 70s, 80s, and 90s
The frontier pro4 actually was a big competitor to the ranger. It was very competitive and sold really really well.

They are very popular trucks here in south Texas. Might be the mid size truck I see on the road most here

Last edited:

Blmpkn

Toilet enthusiast
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2.5"
Tire Size
285/75/18
My credo
Its probably better to be self deprecating than self defecating.
I like the IDEA of the nissans, but I don't actually like the nissans. Uncomfortable and uninspiring.

Nissans steel has never fared well in the salt belt, either.

rubydist

TRS Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger FX4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
And their reliability has gone in the toilet over the past decade or two, particularly with engines and transmissions. Our used car recon manager cringes every time we take in a Nissan or Infiniti...

Ranger850

Doesn't get Sarcasm . . .
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Born with a 3.0, looking for a donor V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock 2"
Tire Size
Stock
My credo
Doing things wrong, until I get it right.
Besides Ford, Nissan is the only truck I 've ever owned. I drove a 83 Ranger in high school, then switched to a 86 Datsun/Nissan 720 to get into the minitruck scene. I currently own a 87 Nissan D21 and drive it at least once a week. The Newer Nissans didn't get the love because they were more expensive than the competitors and the truck felt "old" compared to a similar priced truck. Nissan refused to update the Frontier until this year. It ran the same chassis design for almost 15 years with almost no updates, and the same interior for just as long. That being said, those trucks are very capable on and off road. The new Frontier is supposed to address all the ailments of the old design.

superj

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger edge
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
none
Total Drop
none
Tire Size
235s
My credo
the titan was the same way. same design for many many years with no updates.

a buddy bought the new frontier and loves it. his old frontier is still in the driveway and has 850k miles on that little 3.3 v6. mine had 325k when i sold it two years ago and i would have no issues driving it across the usa (well, minus the gas mileage for such a small engine).

i have a new generation titan and this ranger. i like that titan, except its huge, like all the other monster sized half tons out there now. its get really decent mileage for not having any cylinder deactivation or any of that junk manufacturers use to try and save money. its a 5.6 that makes 396 or something hp and 398 pounds of torque and gets 18-20 on the highway and 14 in town. pretty good to me for a 6k pound vehicle.

anyways, the only negative on the first gen frontiers was the torsion bars. the second gen they swapped to coil springs and fixed. third gen is coils also. and my ranger has the same stupid torsion bar set up :(

19Walt93

Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3"
Tire Size
235/55R16
My credo
If you don't have time to do it right will you have time to do it over?
Notice most of the guys praising Nissans live where road salt isn't used?
No one will sell me a Japanese truck- I have hairy legs that I refuse to shave and have never owned a pair of sandals.

Ranger850

TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock 2"
Tire Size
Stock
My credo
the titan was the same way. same design for many many years with no updates.

a buddy bought the new frontier and loves it. his old frontier is still in the driveway and has 850k miles on that little 3.3 v6. mine had 325k when i sold it two years ago and i would have no issues driving it across the usa (well, minus the gas mileage for such a small engine).

i have a new generation titan and this ranger. i like that titan, except its huge, like all the other monster sized half tons out there now. its get really decent mileage for not having any cylinder deactivation or any of that junk manufacturers use to try and save money. its a 5.6 that makes 396 or something hp and 398 pounds of torque and gets 18-20 on the highway and 14 in town. pretty good to me for a 6k pound vehicle.

anyways, the only negative on the first gen frontiers was the torsion bars. the second gen they swapped to coil springs and fixed. third gen is coils also. and my ranger has the same stupid torsion bar set up :(
That's funny, I like the torsion bar set-up and both, my 01 Ranger and 87 Nissan have them. lol

Ranger850

TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock 2"
Tire Size
Stock
My credo
No one will sell me a Japanese truck- I have hairy legs that I refuse to shave and have never owned a pair of sandals.
we don't use road salt, but I've heard there is salt in some of the water around here, somewhere near the beach, if I'm not mistaken.

Image result for Where are Nissan trucks manufactured?

Even though Nissan is an international company, the answer is yes, Nissan trucks are made right here in America. In fact, both the Nissan Frontier and Nissan Titan are among the top five “most American” trucks on the road based on parts source and assembly. Apr 14, 2016
Are Nissan trucks made in America?
https://www.mattcastruccinissan.com ›

The Nissan Titan – first produced in 2004 – is almost completely manufactured in the USA and was listed as the Best Full Size Truck by Edmunds.com as well as in many Top 5 Truck lists across the states. The transition is imported directly from Japan – but the majority of the truck’s components are produced or sourced from the USA or Canada.

In fact, the Nissan Titan was designed in California, engineered in Michigan, and tested in Arizona. The engine is built in Indiana and the trucks are assembled – alongside many other US favorites – in Mississippi. You might say the Titan is a real American truck.

The same goes for the Nissan Titan XD, a step above the full-size Titan that is also available with a 5.0L Cummins® Turbo Diesel engine.

The Nissan Frontier – a midsize pickup – is also produced here in the USA for the north American market. It offers all the best parts of a larger truck, without the extra size or heavier handling to deal with. This is a perfect pickup to straddle the line between work and play.

FYI: no legs were shaven for this post. :derisive:

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
What about Crocs? 🤪

You could say the same thing about Toyota - those guys are almost rabid about their trucks, even up north. I don't think they rust any worse than domestic vehicles... there are a lot of late model Ford, GM and Dodge trucks running around here with big rust holes in them.

dvdswan

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT 2WD
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Keep your mind like an umbrella, it only works if its open... Continually learning.
Meh, it's all up to the person buying the truck. How they take care of and treat it. Every make has its quirks. If you take care of the vehicle it will take care of you. Unless its a Yugo.

If you're looking at customizing support, Nissan doesn't have the following that Toyota has. I like the looks of the outside of the Frontier but I've never sat in one so I don't know if I'd like the interior or not.

I'm not putting down Nissans at all. I've had several and drove the hell out of them and customized them as well.

Take it for a drive, a good drive, find all the nuances the truck has and go from there. I'd even let it idle 10-15 minutes before the drive.

superj

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger edge
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
none
Total Drop
none
Tire Size
235s
My credo
The titan for sure doesn't have the aftermarket support. My frontier had loads of aftermarket. I never had a problem find stuff for it but the titan is very expensive to put aftermarket stuff on.

19Walt93

Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3"
Tire Size
235/55R16
My credo
If you don't have time to do it right will you have time to do it over?
After 42 years in a Ford service department where I saw everything that went wrong- often due to lack of maintenance or poorly done maintenance(think Jiffy Lube), I still drive only Fords. Our local Toyota dealer plows their yard with a Ford Super Duty-even though they sell Toyota alleged trucks with plows to their customers. Their parts department uses a Ford Transit van for deliveries. I guess they appreciate reliable trucks, too.

fastpakr

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
285/75-16
After 42 years in a Ford service department where I saw everything that went wrong- often due to lack of maintenance or poorly done maintenance(think Jiffy Lube), I still drive only Fords. Our local Toyota dealer plows their yard with a Ford Super Duty-even though they sell Toyota alleged trucks with plows to their customers. Their parts department uses a Ford Transit van for deliveries. I guess they appreciate reliable trucks, too.
Or cheap ones.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Or cheap ones.
Some of that stuff they could have gotten in on a trade dirt cheap just to do whatever with the plan of running into the ground.

The plow truck smells that way.

Toyota doesn't make anything like a Transit in the US that I am aware of so it isn't like they have anything that could do that instead.

I do agree though... imports do not like roadsalt/chemicals. Parts availability here in the sticks is very lacking as well.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals