• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

High Lift/Farm jack mount

OcdFabrication

ASE Certified Tech
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco ii
Transmission
Automatic
Definitely thinking harder of my outside mount all that being said @OcdFabrication. The thoughts I had earlier are earning more respect for a final decision. Hopefully have rear lift done and bumper mounted in the coming week/s and get this moving forward!
You have fantastic drawling skills :pray: you should see some of the " Drawling's " I have come into the shop for different ideas people have haha. Rear Swing out mounts work well, I have done a LOT ever sense the overland scene blew up pre-covid. And the best way I have found to mount them is horizontally, not vertically. If you have the room without disrupting your latch or making a rear entry drag out of it, Id recommend looking in that direction.

I built sand rails in Michigan for many years (more like trail buggies and we weren't kind to them). I had several rules for our personal machines. Keep the weight low. No expanded metal flooring... seen a fella take a huge sliver from above his ankle to sticking out his ass. Horrible. And air cooled only... saw a couple people get schorced from hot coolant. Again... horrible.

My point OCD... I totally get your point. Enough of it I might very well rethink plans for mounting my hi lift inside the G-Unit.
Yeah I couldn't agree more. I have rules that I just can not look away from. And for good reasons. After the loss of life last year on the Rubicon I had a long rethink of how things are built and how easy it is to avoid something so catastrophic like a death. Its hard to get people to understand and unfortunately I am somewhat of an asshole when it comes to these situations, but for good reason. I live by my notion , I am the nicest asshole you will ever meet:icon_cheers:.

Simple Rules keep us and our loved ones safe for years to come.

RumPunch

Supporting Member
Law Enforcement
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
3"
Tire Size
31x10.50R15
I like horizontally maybe between swing out and body on back side if I have room once the bumper is mounted I will start looking

superj

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger edge
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3 liters of tire smoking power
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
none
Total Drop
none
Tire Size
235s
My credo
Grew up in the 70s, 80s, and 90s
i should probably start trying to figure a mount for one of the hi-lifts on the wrangler since my son wants to take it back to colorado this winter. it would at least give him a tool to use to get off the rocks.

they saw a jeep hanging off a cliff one time and hooked to it with a few winches on the other guy's jeeps and were able to pull him back to solid land. i think about maybe throwing a winch on the wrangler too but jarrod mentioned that when they first hooked to the jeep hanging off the edge, it pulled the first jeep when it started sliding but luckily they had tied that jeep to two others jeeps in a straight line set up as precautionary deal before hooking to the one hanging off the cliff. the owner had left the jeep because it seemed he was off roading alone so they just left it parked by where they found it in case he came back.

since the wrangler has already been rolled, i don't want to be called that now it got pulled off a cliff and i don't think the hi-lift would put the wrangler into a position where it could get pulled over

OcdFabrication

ASE Certified Tech
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco ii
Transmission
Automatic
I like horizontally maybe between swing out and body on back side if I have room once the bumper is mounted I will start looking
I wanted to see if I could design a Frame mount last year for the frame rail where a conventional slider would mount but it just wasn't fitting the way I wanted it, and also would be more of a pain for removing it then the location I landed on. If you have room inside the swing out that would be nice but almost all the swing outs I've built or worked on usually keep that swing tight with the body. What bumper and swing out did you go with ?

i should probably start trying to figure a mount for one of the hi-lifts on the wrangler since my son wants to take it back to colorado this winter. it would at least give him a tool to use to get off the rocks.

they saw a jeep hanging off a cliff one time and hooked to it with a few winches on the other guy's jeeps and were able to pull him back to solid land. i think about maybe throwing a winch on the wrangler too but jarrod mentioned that when they first hooked to the jeep hanging off the edge, it pulled the first jeep when it started sliding but luckily they had tied that jeep to two others jeeps in a straight line set up as precautionary deal before hooking to the one hanging off the cliff. the owner had left the jeep because it seemed he was off roading alone so they just left it parked by where they found it in case he came back.

since the wrangler has already been rolled, i don't want to be called that now it got pulled off a cliff and i don't think the hi-lift would put the wrangler into a position where it could get pulled over
All the off the shelf hood mounts or A Pillar mounts are extremely dangerous so If i had a opinion at all Id just say stay clear from those. A good company you all know ( RuffStuff Specialties ) is local with me and makes a really good bang for your buck Jeep rear bumper. I don't know witchJeep you have but look up what they have and you could always find a good spot for it on there.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I keep mine in the garage and just stuff it in the back of the truck when I'm going out and think I might need it. Keeps it from getting too rusty.

I also use it as winch of sorts around the property so it's nice to have handy. I even made a clamp on a chain that I use for pulling T posts out of the ground.
Pull fence posts they said.. . It's easy they said...

Screenshot_20220815-213209_Flickr.jpg
o

RumPunch

Supporting Member
Law Enforcement
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
3"
Tire Size
31x10.50R15
I wanted to see if I could design a Frame mount last year for the frame rail where a conventional slider would mount but it just wasn't fitting the way I wanted it, and also would be more of a pain for removing it then the location I landed on. If you have room inside the swing out that would be nice but almost all the swing outs I've built or worked on usually keep that swing tight with the body. What bumper and swing out did you go with ?

All the off the shelf hood mounts or A Pillar mounts are extremely dangerous so If i had a opinion at all Id just say stay clear from those. A good company you all know ( RuffStuff Specialties ) is local with me and makes a really good bang for your buck Jeep rear bumper. I don't know witchJeep you have but look up what they have and you could always find a good spot for it on there.
I got an Affordable Off Road. The rear setup isn't specific to the gen 1/2 RBV it's for the Gen 3 + Rangers I believe if I remember correctly. I have already mocked it up and will take minimal fab to mount to rear frame but knowing this now and having all these thoughts in my head, since it's going to be custom, I will likely just move it out from the back and extra inch or two and make it have room since it doesn't attach to the body at all.

RumPunch

Supporting Member
Law Enforcement
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
3"
Tire Size
31x10.50R15
That being said, wondering now if there is actually room inside of the rear bumper.

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
For any who will be offroading, you need to also consider;

1. Will I be able to access the jack if the truck is on its side or rolled over?

2. Will this mounting position be susceptible to damage while offroading.

Inside the bumper or tucked up in the wheel wel may not be great for some scenarios. No position is perfect for all occasions. Just try to think about how you will get to the jack in a bad situation and will it be damaged too much to use?

Last edited:

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Your over thinking it. Just fill the whole in and call it it q job well done.
No no.

That is where I was told to plant a flower...

Pulled the jack out with the tractor, ripped off as much of that steel as I could with the tractor and mission accomplished.

superj

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger edge
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3 liters of tire smoking power
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
none
Total Drop
none
Tire Size
235s
My credo
Grew up in the 70s, 80s, and 90s
i don't like those hood mounts for the jacks. looks bad and just seems bad. a pillar mounts are what? are those the ones that mount right by the driver foot area, but on the outside?

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Every high lift jack I've had is finicky as hell about lube, rust and dirt. And I actually use them often... inside the wheel well is quite literally the last place I would ever put a jack.

I agree with not mounting them inside. I try not to have loose things inside my wheeling rig... some of it is unavoidable though. Common sense goes a long ways, I know people who drive around all over with hammers, wrenches, etc on the dash, floor boards and stacked behind the seats. Just hasn't bit them yet I guess.

Regardless of how safe you think you are, it's kind of a dangerous hobby in general. But stuff happens... I know someone who was into the most extreme rock crawling for many years and he died in a car wreck in town when his brakes failed. We just do the best we can.

OcdFabrication

ASE Certified Tech
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco ii
Transmission
Automatic
For any who will be offroading, you need to also consider;

1. Will I be able to access the jack if the truck is on its side or rolled over?

2. Will this mounting position be susceptible to damage while offroading.

Inside the bumper or tucked up in the wheel wel may not be great for some scenarios. No position is perfect for all occasions. Just try to think about how you will get to the jack in a bad situation and will it be damaged too much to use?
I have rolled many vehicles with and without cages. On top of being hands on with hundred's of recoveries over the years of being on the trail. I have never once considered or used a Hi-Lift/Farm Jack to recover the vehicle. Its quite literally the most dangerous tool at the operators disposal BUT I will never be stranded without one. Ever. I have a Warn M8000 winch on the rig including snatch blocks and recovery ropes for that reason. I quite often winch the vehicle to rocks and tree's to get it in the air for emergency service If I have a suspension Failure. To me its entirely safer.

On the second note. No. There is no possible damage to the Hi-Lift from being in its location. Including water/mud damage. It stays bagged and lubed. I DO NOT play in mud for any reason and winter driving in California is... well... pitiful in comparison to the east coast. I completely cycle my suspension every time medications are done when testing my new leaf spring ideas/builds with this truck. If I broke a axle shaft, bent the axle tube upward, and broke a leaf spring there MIGHT be a 1:100 shot I maybe touch the Hi-Lift arm with the tire. This set up has gone from Winch Hill 1 to Committee and Up to Winch Hill 3 on Fordyce Trail including multiple Rubicon Trips without ever being in contact or an issue.

As always, That's just MY situation. Every driver/builder should consider all options and come up with the best conclusion for location dependent on THERE build. Not mine.

Every high lift jack I've had is finicky as hell about lube, rust and dirt. And I actually use them often... inside the wheel well is quite literally the last place I would ever put a jack.

I agree with not mounting them inside. I try not to have loose things inside my wheeling rig... some of it is unavoidable though. Common sense goes a long ways, I know people who drive around all over with hammers, wrenches, etc on the dash, floor boards and stacked behind the seats. Just hasn't bit them yet I guess.

Regardless of how safe you think you are, it's kind of a dangerous hobby in general. But stuff happens... I know someone who was into the most extreme rock crawling for many years and he died in a car wreck in town when his brakes failed. We just do the best we can.
Your 100% right. This sport is extremely dangerous, and I hate comparing apples here But I have too lost close friends of mine being in this industry. One including me within the accident. Like I said though, not comparing. Just agreeing with your statement. A loss of life is always a eye opener in the auto world because we think its so far fetched until it happens so close to home.

But, the location of my Hi-Lift mount, In my area of Driving/Wheeling/Off-Roading, and the things I do with the truck I will never see half the issues most people have with Hi-Lifts due to Lubrication, Rust, or Dirt. Never have and honestly dont know why people have so many issues. I get quality lifts. And probably use them maybe 5-7 times a year. Its a truck tool, not a household tool for me. I have a Hi-Lift in my garage for that haha. Get yourself a cheap bag and lube it when you put it away. It'll be a gross bag when unloading and loading but its very well worth it.

This is a general statement for most but not directed at anyone! I don't even know what most of yall are using. But for the love of gawd, stop buying cheap Hi-Lifts at yard sales that have been in service for 40 years expecting them to be perfect ;missingteeth; or buying cheap amazon/ebay/Harbor Freight lifts expecting multiple seasons from them. Unfortunately most of those are one time use HAHA! Buy once, cry once!

4x4junkie

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
35x12.50R15
Mine:

There's just enough room for it to fit in between the carrier and back of the hatch (well, one time the right side hatch latch failed to close all the way and the jack base damaged the edge of the hatch slightly, but oh well).
There's a cradle/bracket near the base end that the I-beam fits in, and is secured in place by a half-inch bolt (welded to the carrier) & nut through the beam in about the middle. Tire carrier & bumper are homebuilt.

I've also had no issues with rust or other malfunction with it mounted outside. IIRC, the Hi-Lift jack instructions actually tell you you have to lube the thing each & every time you use it (and they are absolutely correct, even for the very first time you use it brand new). I use WD-40 or similarly thin spray oil (grease tends to cause a lot more dirt build-up I've found).

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I just jeep mine inside.

Living of a gravel road in the rust belt... hard pass on mounting it outside the truck especially under it.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals