• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2.8L decision time.

BrownRangers

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Engine Size
171cui
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3"
Tire Size
245/40/15
You will 100% want to change the timing gears to non-fiber gearset. The factory ones as you can see are held together by a fiber material that in colder climates is know to shear off. Pretty much the only ones still available like that are the NOS Ford Motorcraft gears that no one rebuilds with. The Cloyes brand is the way to go, they actually make most of the other brands gears so just get a set from them.

AndyB.

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic

xltshadow09

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Engine Size
2.8L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Thanks guys. I really appreciate the help. I had to give the project a rest for a couple of days. I just got the camshaft out and I am posting some more pictures. Probably hard to see but I think it might be ok.

Attachments

xltshadow09

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Engine Size
2.8L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Does this copper looking ring need to come out ? Looks fine.

Attachments

BrownRangers

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Engine Size
171cui
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3"
Tire Size
245/40/15
That is one of your cam bearings. Yes remove if you are replacing(suggested) no if you are doing poor mans rebuild. The cam bearings on the 2.8 are extremely important to be installed correctly. There are some blind holes that must line up in the cam bearing line bore. If you aren't sure what this means and the cam bearings are removed, make sure you have a professional machine shop install the new ones. You miss the hole you kill your rebuilt engine.

Last edited:

xltshadow09

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Engine Size
2.8L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Thanks. I realized after I posted that it was a cam bearing. I saw the others in the bore and I understand about the holes. I am leaning poor man's right now.

Bronco648

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
XL
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
15"
I bought an '85 RCLB from a guy in Louisville KY. It came with a 2.8 long block (in addition to the original engine). The price for the rebuild was $1700 from a shop in Ohio that races old Capris. $400 for the one in Atlanta sounds like a smokin' deal to me. I think you're going to spend more in parts to rebuild yours.

ford4wd08

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD

Bronco648

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
XL
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
15"
I did. There are times when it's been a bit of a downer and other times when it's been easy to work on. A vehicle from outside of the rust belt, even one approaching 40 years of age, is the way to go. I've encountered ONE fastener that I had to cut because it was seized due to rust. One. And, this thing has pretty much had a complete mechanical restoration. The finish line is (finally) in sight.

xltshadow09

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Engine Size
2.8L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Well, I got the crankshaft out. Posting some pictures . This is the first engine I have fully disassembled. I haven't found anything obviously wrong with it. Thinking I will rebuild it cheap. This is just a learning project anyway. I can always put another one in later. Thoughts?

Attachments

xltshadow09

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Engine Size
2.8L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Why do these lifters look different? Shouldn't they all be the same? Did someone previously install a mixed set? Different manufacturers? Guess I will just order new. Weird.

Attachments

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I was going to say that if you plan to reuse that cam, I hope you marked the lifters. If you didn't keep track of which lifter came from which bore, you'll need to replace them all anyway. At that point I would probably recommend new cam and lifters from Comp, Isky or RacerWalsh.

Like another member said, even if you reuse the cam install a new all metal timing set. Although they look good, it's not worth risking the 30 year old fiber composite coming apart on you.

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I did. There are times when it's been a bit of a downer and other times when it's been easy to work on. A vehicle from outside of the rust belt, even one approaching 40 years of age, is the way to go. I've encountered ONE fastener that I had to cut because it was seized due to rust. One. And, this thing has pretty much had a complete mechanical restoration. The finish line is (finally) in sight.
You got a build thread going for it?

My first vehicle was an 84 Ranger with the 2.8L seen in my sig. Simlar build to what Everlearn had planned from what I can tell. Not a nice Team Blitz build, but similar parts from what I can tell. You're going to enjoy it once done. Dang I miss that truck. Bought an 85 long bed with the 2.3L a few months ago. Intend to get it running as is if I can get past the rust, but long term plan is a V8 swap. Still have the 84's 2.8L so that's entirely not off the table either.

Bronco648

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
XL
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
15"
You got a build thread going for it?
Sorry, I do not. I have to admit that I'm an old fart and it just never occurs to me to photo-document things as I go. I have gotten in the habit of taking pictures of things before disassembly so I know where things go when I do eventually put it back together. I'm so focused on what I'm doing I just don't remember to take pics or document anything. My memory is pretty good so I will remember how I did something, for instance, how to remove the TTB for complete rebuild. I've done all the work myself except when I need a third hand/foot (brake bleeding, for example) and then my wife chips in. So, it's not super-easy (for me) to document stuff and make progress. I'm also on a deadline as I need the truck to be on the road in a month. Otherwise, I'm riding five miles to work, on my bicycle.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals