• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Best year if I want to upgrade from my 2wd

James Morse

1997 XLT 4.0L 4x4 1999 Mazda B3000 2wd
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 and 1999
Make / Model
XLT 4x4 & B3000
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L in XLT, 3.0L in B3000
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31x10.5-15 K02's on the Ranger, 235/75R15 on Mazda
My credo
The perfect is the enemy of the good.
I love my '99 B3000. But I'd like to have 4wd for snow and going up fire trails. The other thing I would want is power windows/locks even though they are harder to fix, crank window is really getting a bit old school even for me. Other likes about the truck - easy to work on. I like the cab plus / extended cab vs 4-door, so I'd want that the same.

So my question is, what are the good and bad years? Probably I can't afford to look at anything past say 2011. I'm not in a hurry. I wouldn't even mind another '99 if it were in good shape.

I saw a Nissan Frontier 2010 with 60k miles for $15k and that has 4wd and it has a whopping 258HP and a lot of torque so I'm wondering for instance what, in a Ranger, would compete with that? I don't know anything about Nissan and maybe they are sh*t plus I kind of would rather stick with Ranger at least based on my experience so far with the '99.

I guess I don't even really care that much about the miles if it's in good shape. The one I have now is 185k and I'm fine with it. Stuff is fixable on it when needed and the parts aren't that expensive so that's a big plus.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
2005-2011 Ranger 4x4 with 4.0l SOHC, 200HP V6
4x4s also had your same 3.0l up thru 2008, but avoid the 2004-2006, had valve issues

superj

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger edge
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3 liters of tire smoking power
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
none
Total Drop
none
Tire Size
235s
My credo
Grew up in the 70s, 80s, and 90s
And the Nissan frontier is as great a truck as the ranger. I regret selling my 03 frontier

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
Depending on what you want... Personally I prefer the TTB front axle (used through '97) but I have no complaints with my '00 Explorer front end which should be the same as a '98 up Ranger.. If you want power the OHC 4.0 is the ticket but the early ones had timing chain issues hence the '05 up thing above even though the OHC was introduced in '00 I think...

rubydist

TRS Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger FX4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
sohc was first in Rangers in 2001 although some Explorers had them sooner.

Blmpkn

Toilet enthusiast
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2.5"
Tire Size
285/75/18
My credo
Its probably better to be self deprecating than self defecating.
I'd get another ranger.

Nissans got all that jap reliability going for it and all but... I've driven an 04 or 05 frontier quite a bit... and it doesn't inspire any sort of confidence. It just doesn't FEEL good.

The interior is worse than the rangers IMO, the seats/seating position isnt exactly comfy, they don't ride as good as a Ranger does, I'm not sure if this one is a 6cyl or a 4cyl but it's a complete dog, it's auto trans is hot garbage... just... no.

Ranger.

superj

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger edge
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3 liters of tire smoking power
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
none
Total Drop
none
Tire Size
235s
My credo
Grew up in the 70s, 80s, and 90s
My ranger and my 01 frontier have the same crappy torsion bar frontier end.

If it's an 03 or earlier frontier, it's a 3.3v6 which has very low hp, like a 3.0v6 in the ranger. I had 325k on mine when I sold it and luckily got the ranger soon afyerwards

Last edited:

Roert42

RBV's on Boost
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I personally like my 2 sohc 4.0s better then ohv I have.

That being said, I prefer the TIB over the torsion beam suspension. The torsion beams always seem to be in the of something, whenever I’m under the truck. The front axel is much more serviceable with the TIB

I would still sacrifice the TIB for the SOHC at the end of the day. much better power.

Find one without tensioner noises, and a manual trans, Live front axel, manual transfer case if you can find one that’s not over priced.

James Morse

1997 XLT 4.0L 4x4 1999 Mazda B3000 2wd
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1997 and 1999
Make / Model
XLT 4x4 & B3000
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L in XLT, 3.0L in B3000
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31x10.5-15 K02's on the Ranger, 235/75R15 on Mazda
My credo
The perfect is the enemy of the good.
Thanks everyone. I went and looked at the Nissan again and... didn't like it, just a bunch of stuff I won't go into, but I didn't get the same 'feel' as when I saw the Ranger (one I have), I had a good feel about it. I know that's not scientific, but fact is my seats for some reason fit me perfectly, very comfortable, and I've done some work on it, so far no issues doing the work, and when I looked at the Frontier I was like, oh, no. Plus it didn't even have fog lights, just the cutouts, and I thought man for that much money you oughta get fogs. I mean, I know I don't have them, but the point is, I'm not going to pay, say, 10k plus trade, for something that doesn't make me say "I want that."

I'm not familiar with the plusses and minuses of the engines, trans, front end setup, etc that have been mentioned so I'll sort through these great responses and then come up with a few possibles, and go from there. I'm not in any rush, so I think my best position is set a goal or two of what I'd want, then just keep watching. Many thanks!

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
So I personally kinda lean towards exactly what you want out of it is what to go with.

If you like the TTB front axle, go with anything up to 97. My red 92 was a beast with the 4.0, wouldn’t win races but it had that rugged go-anywhere vibe. The A4LD auto really woke up when I did some valve body work and a shift kit and adjusted the bands.

05 and up 4.0 if you want power and just jump in and go.

98-00 4.0 if you want to do a 5.0 swap with a minimum of fuss.

4.0 SOHC motors make the most power short of a 5.0, but they can blow timing chains. 05 and up are reasonably reliable. All of the other engine options are fairly reliable except maybe the 2.9, but a lot of that reputation seems to be related to poor maintenance and poor quality control. If it’s still running at this point, it was probably a good one and I wouldn’t be overly scared.

All of the autos kinda got a bad rap, but I think a lot of that has to do with overheating, poor maintenance, and sloppy factory shifting. An extra transmission cooler, proper maintenance (A4LD drive bands should be adjusted every 20-30k from what I understand). Shift kits and valve body work cures the sloppy shifting and reduces heat. Shift plugs on the manuals are a concern but not a huge problem if you’re aware of it, think it was limited to the M5OD variety.

97 and older are cheaper to work on and lift

There are options to convert torsion bar to coil overs, so that’s a possibility for 98+ trucks

Roert42

RBV's on Boost
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
4.0 SOHC motors make the most power short of a 5.0, but they can blow timing chains. 05 and up are reasonably reliable. All of the other engine options are fairly reliable except maybe the 2.9, but a lot of that reputation seems to be related to poor maintenance and poor quality control. If it’s still running at this point, it was probably a good one and I wouldn’t be overly scared.

I would say the same thing about the SOHC 4.0s. If they haven't blow up by the time you got the motor, they will last a couple week until you change them. Only take about half hour to change them in the ranger. I hear they are harder to get to in some of the other vehicles, I wouldn't know.

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
My dad has a '97 Nissan hard body pickup and a newer Frontier, think that one is like a '16 or '17, don't remember. Both have been good trucks. The '97 needed an engine at about 260k, lost oil pressure or something. Frontier needed a clutch at around 20k but was fixed under warranty. My big complaint about Nissan is that everything is smaller - if Ford uses a 7mm bolt, Nissan uses a 5mm. Engine wiring harness on a Ford might be 18 gauge wire, it's 20ga or smaller on the Nissan... stuff like that. Does it matter... I don't know, but it doesn't inspire a lot of confidence.

Ranger850

Doesn't get Sarcasm . . .
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Born with a 3.0, looking for a donor V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock 2"
Tire Size
Stock
My credo
Doing things wrong, until I get it right.
- if Ford uses a 7mm bolt, Nissan uses a 5mm.
Every bolt on a Nissan is a 10mm. ;missingteeth; Us Nissan guys have lost more 10mm sockets than any other species on Earth.

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Every bolt on a Nissan is a 10mm. ;missingteeth; Us Nissan guys have lost more 10mm sockets than any other species on Earth.
Was referring to the thread size, not the fastener head size. I am glad you fessed up though!

Roert42

RBV's on Boost
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
10mm head is normally a 6mm thread

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals