• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Thinking about new handgun purchase.

Eddo Rogue

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger 4x4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
OHV
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
skyjacker front leveling kit
Tire Size
31-10.50R15
My credo
Crossed threads are tight threads.
The new baby Glocks are sweet. I am also a fan of the judge, or anything that can take more that one type of ammo. On that note I love but stay away from the Five seven due to ammo scarcity.

If were to get a carry gun, it would probably be a .380. But then again I feel content with a little .25 auto lol.

I'm a big fan of revolvers, and best with them, so I'd probably have that if I was really worried.

Eddo Rogue

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger 4x4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
OHV
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
31-10.50R15
My credo
Also I think right now is a terrible time to buy a gun, especially if you're in CA. Good luck lol.

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
The 22/45 I bought looks super cool but I swear Rube Goldberg designed the thing. Want to disassemble? Flip it upside down at an 84 degree angle, pull the trigger while removing the mag, shake it until the little thing aligns with the other little things and pray that it comes apart. Reassembly is exactly the opposite of disassembly except that the things have to coalesce smoothly with the wave movements of the Indian Ocean in February during a leap year... I decided I'm just not going to ever clean it and just live with a dirty gat.

Blmpkn

Toilet enthusiast
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2.5"
Tire Size
285/75/18
My credo
Its probably better to be self deprecating than self defecating.
Rock Island makes some good budget guns. I would suggest you find someone that sells them and hold it first... IMO their fit and finish isn't quite as nice as their pictures suggest. My ex had one of their fancy 1911s that she ordered...it looked kinda "cheap" in my hand. But for the price, couldn't complain.

Surprised to see Ruger fans. I am not one. I bought a 22/45 years ago and it is the most irritating gun I've ever owned. I will be pretty apprehensive to buy anything from that company.
Even on the RIA website some of the pictures they have of their pistols clearly show some mediocre machine work lol, especially around the front sight area. I'll be making a trip to my local shop at some point this week, we'll see what we find.

All the Rugers I've owned have been top notch quality. Have a variety of Rugers, and wouldn't hesitate to buy another, but I do not have a 22/45. Don't really care for match pistols, I prefer a more basic style.

I am surprised to hear so much talk about Kimbers. I've heard a lot of hearsay about their quality being very poor in the last 10 years or so. Overpriced, sell off the name type stuff. That said I never have shot one, so It could just be people talking shit about something they can't afford.

I havnt heard about a downturn in quality, but I also don't seek out gun-talk hardly at all.. so that very well could be the case, wouldn't surprise me.

I've wanted a 1911 for at least a decade, just never could really afford one until recently. Kimber was touted as pretty much #1 back when I started lusting over the idea of owning one.. so the names just been stuck in my head ever since.

Ramcharger90

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
306, Bcam,
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Sig P320 compact or P365

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
If you are aiming toward a 1911, maybe consider one in 9mm so get a couple more rounds.

The Judge is a good gun, if you keep it in it’s lane. It’s a home defense/snake gun. People keep trying to use it like a regular shotgun or revolver. It is neither of those. It goes in the night stand or on your hip while you are out in the woods. With the right ammo (good .45 Long Colt rounds) it’s pretty accurate, with practice but, again, it’s a home defense/woods gun.

As a far as polymer pistols, some have fantastic triggers, like Canik TP9s but they are a full size pistol. Most of my other polymer guns have ok triggers, like my S&W SD9VE after a trigger upgrade.

Best I can suggest is to see if there is a gun range near you that rents firearms. Try out what you’ll think you’d like before you buy.

Eddo Rogue

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger 4x4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
OHV
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
31-10.50R15
My credo
If you are aiming toward a 1911, maybe consider one in 9mm so get a couple more rounds.

The Judge is a good gun, if you keep it in it’s lane. It’s a home defense/snake gun. People keep trying to use it like a regular shotgun or revolver. It is neither of those. It goes in the night stand or on your hip while you are out in the woods. With the right ammo (good .45 Long Colt rounds) it’s pretty accurate, with practice but, again, it’s a home defense/woods gun.

As a far as polymer pistols, some have fantastic triggers, like Canik TP9s but they are a full size pistol. Most of my other polymer guns have ok triggers, like my S&W SD9VE after a trigger upgrade.

Best I can suggest is to see if there is a gun range near you that rents firearms. Try out what you’ll think you’d like before you buy.
+1. way lighter, hold more rounds, less kick...plenty deadly too, its not like your gonna have to fend off guerillas in tactical vests, in which case I would want something a little bigger than any ccw gun.

This coming from a recent big bore convert. I love little rounds now.

Also agreed plastic guns have come a long way.

Blmpkn

Toilet enthusiast
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2.5"
Tire Size
285/75/18
My credo

Beat I can suggest is to see if there is a gun range near you that rents firearms. Try out what you’ll think you’d like before you buy.
Man, gun shopping is the worst. I love coming home with a new one.. but really hate the shopping aspect.

Too many choices!

A judge IS a bit impractical for what I need it to do lol, can scratch that off the list for now.

After sleeping on it, I'm not sure how important I should be making the capacity thing... obviously want more than 2 lol but I feel like even a 7+1 setup is good enough. Its what I've lived with for nearly half a decade so I'm sure it'll suit me fine for the next half.

+1. way lighter, hold more rounds, less kick...plenty deadly too, its not like your gonna have to fend off guerillas in tactical vests, in which case I would want something a little bigger than any ccw gun.

This coming from a recent big bore convert. I love little rounds now.

Also agreed plastic guns have come a long way.
My irrational fear of needing to fend off said guerrillas in vests is what's making something chambered in 5.7 so intriguing.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
If you decide to go the 5.7 route, the Ruger is more reliable. I’ve seen a few comparison videos on both the FN and the Ruger and the FN always had a few stoppages. I think the Ruger had a more mushy trigger but ran reliably.

Roert42

RBV's on Boost
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I don’t know I would trust a 5.7 round against a guerrilla with a vest.

especially considering you can’t leagaly buy amor piercing 5.7 rounds in the us. Kinda defeats there purpose.

I would lean more towards some steel core 30-06 or something at least 120 grain.

guerrillas are big.

Roert42

RBV's on Boost
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Maybe a Tac-14 with some 12ga magnum slugs to stuff under your driver seat. 5 of those bad boys short it out.

superj

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger edge
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3 liters of tire smoking power
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
none
Total Drop
none
Tire Size
235s
My credo
Grew up in the 70s, 80s, and 90s
a buddy got rid of his kimber because he said it just got old. he said it cost alot but he liked his m&p shield more.

the only ruger i have is a 10/22 rifle with that arch angle kit on it. it shoots nice and has not ever given us trouble.

my rock island 1911 is the A1 type, i think. the military issue version. its just got wooden grips and hte dark carburization (i think is what the finish is called, maybe parkerized, i cannot remember) but it looks just like the ones the army use to issue. thats why i like it. nothing to worry about.

i cannot say anything about how it looks versus other makes because i have never had another 1911 but its not loose feeling or rattling or anything and the edges and lines on it are straight and smooth so it seems ok to me.

Blmpkn

Toilet enthusiast
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
2.5"
Tire Size
285/75/18
My credo
From what I've read, a guy can still get 5.7 rounds that will pierce armor thanks to some Loopholes.

The round itself is really best for armored targets though.. a .45 WOULD be a better choice realistically.

Roert42

RBV's on Boost
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
What about something like a CZ in 7.62x25 similar, but..... bigger..

superj

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger edge
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3 liters of tire smoking power
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
none
Total Drop
none
Tire Size
235s
My credo
Grew up in the 70s, 80s, and 90s
here is that sar arms, its a b6p. its a full size though. it shoots great and is very cheap

B6 - SAR USA

says 292 bucks brand new, 233 used. i paid 150 used behind the walmart though :whistle:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals