• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Sounds like a belt chirp

dvdswan

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT 2WD
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Keep your mind like an umbrella, it only works if its open... Continually learning.
Yesterday I changed the oil/filter in both trucks and today the Ranger has a cold start chirp. It sounds like a belt chirp, but the sound sounds like it is coming from middle to back of the engine. I can't ever recall a distributor chirping but anything is possible. Any ideas or thoughts?

1991 Ranger 3.0L auto

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
The cam synchros were known for it but can't say the distributors ever did that, but could have a unicorn, in a bad way, lol

If nothing else shows up you could pull distributor, oil the shaft/bushing and reinstall, if noise is now gone then that was it

Also, COLD engine, pull the fan belt off the crank pulley
Start engine
If no chirp then it may be an accessory pulley making the noise
Shut off engine and restart a few times just to be sure

And with fan belt off engine bay is ALOT quieter, no fan, and you can sometime pin point a noise easier
So if noise is still there try to narrow it down more
I wouldn't run the COLD engine more than 1 min to 90second with no water pump, but thats actually quite a long time, long enough to listen, lol
And can be repeated as much as you want after engine is COLD again

Last edited:

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
On my 93 the distributor started chirping. I replaced it. All good.

dvdswan

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT 2WD
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Keep your mind like an umbrella, it only works if its open... Continually learning.
Well @RonD there goes the unicorn theory. LOL Or maybe @ericbphoto had the only unicorn. A pink dizzy.

ericbphoto

TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
Well @RonD there goes the unicorn theory. LOL Or maybe @ericbphoto had the only unicorn. A pink dizzy.
I'm not trying to argue. But the part is designed very similar to the later cam position thingies. There is no way for lubrication to reach the upper bushing. So it wears. Simple physics. I'm sure I'm not the only one.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
No, not the only one I am sure but first one I have read about, now the second if dvdswan also has same issue
And the Cam Synchros did it at 80-100k on many many 3.0l Vulcans

Just out of curiosity what are the miles at on both engines
And original distributor as far as you know
I know TFI issues caused many to swap out distributors at that time vs just the module

dvdswan

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT 2WD
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
116k on mine. So, it may be the synchro...

ericbphoto

TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
Well over 126k. I'd have to go look at the odometer. I may have mentioned it in my build thread. That was earlier last year, if I recall correctly.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
And about 30 years old for both, 1991 and 1993

Maybe we are in for a rash of them starting to squeak, lol
They just don't make um like they used to

pjtoledo

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Fords
Engine Size
3.0 2.3
you can easily eliminate/isolate the belt chirp with a squirt of water on the belt.
it will only go away for a few seconds but that's enough to identify it.

dvdswan

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT 2WD
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
So, the last 2 mornings there has been no chirping. I really hate intermittent Karen issues. ;brownbag;

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
And that can mean trouble "sooner than later"

Wife gets tired of complaining about your snoring, so one day just stops, then shoots you the next time you snore

professor229

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
I also had a chirp.... first gear and it was a pronounced chirp... I thought from the engine compartment.... and when the tranny hit second, the chirp minimized to almost nothing... suspected belt or idler pulley... but then got to researching about the cam sensor problem and watched a few videos.... some done OK with none done really well....

Took the 2004 Ranger fishing yesterday and it pulled my small Lund boat trailer just fine with the same chirp but this time I had the window open and did my best impression of a dog with its head sticking out the window and realized the chirp was coming from the REAR of the Ranger.. not the front... The other day, I had the engine compartment hood and "listened" to see if I could hear a chirp.... there was none and I was amazed at how well the 3.0 ran (106,000) ...... I replace the rear brake drum shoes last week ..... and that had no effect on the chirp.... so I am guessing wheel bearing??? and I suspect this is going to require a hoist and my local mechanic to listen to it run on a hoist??? Any other ideas? suggestions as to what other moving parts in the rear would be appreciated...

Also, this was a project.... a cheap project... something to do last winter.... and I bought it right, spent some money on it and have a 20 footer to show for it... over 200 hours into it and almost everything is repaired/replaced.... but I don't want to wrench on it any longer.... and have the 1995 Chevy that is just about perfect... I don't need the Ranger... so if anybody in the twin cities metro area is reading this, I will see you the Ranger for the exact cost I have into the parts... for it... I attached a current picture.... and have documented the entire project with a digital camera each day.... I am thinking I should be able to get somewhere around $2000 for it..... just an FYI

Attachments

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I also had a chirp.... first gear and it was a pronounced chirp... I thought from the engine compartment.... and when the tranny hit second, the chirp minimized to almost nothing... suspected belt or idler pulley... but then got to researching about the cam sensor problem and watched a few videos.... some done OK with none done really well....

Took the 2004 Ranger fishing yesterday and it pulled my small Lund boat trailer just fine with the same chirp but this time I had the window open and did my best impression of a dog with its head sticking out the window and realized the chirp was coming from the REAR of the Ranger.. not the front... The other day, I had the engine compartment hood and "listened" to see if I could hear a chirp.... there was none and I was amazed at how well the 3.0 ran (106,000) ...... I replace the rear brake drum shoes last week ..... and that had no effect on the chirp.... so I am guessing wheel bearing??? and I suspect this is going to require a hoist and my local mechanic to listen to it run on a hoist??? Any other ideas? suggestions as to what other moving parts in the rear would be appreciated...

Also, this was a project.... a cheap project... something to do last winter.... and I bought it right, spent some money on it and have a 20 footer to show for it... over 200 hours into it and almost everything is repaired/replaced.... but I don't want to wrench on it any longer.... and have the 1995 Chevy that is just about perfect... I don't need the Ranger... so if anybody in the twin cities metro area is reading this, I will see you the Ranger for the exact cost I have into the parts... for it... I attached a current picture.... and have documented the entire project with a digital camera each day.... I am thinking I should be able to get somewhere around $2000 for it..... just an FYI
Check the ujoints on the drive shaft. Sounds like one has run dry of grease. Replace both if you cant find slop...cheap insurance.

dvdswan

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT 2WD
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
It's engine speed related. So, it's definitely part of the engine. I just don't know if it's actually the belts chirping or the back of the engine as it sounds like. I did notice the oil pressure was a little lower when it did squeak/chirp (barely below 1/2 gauge), while the last 2 days it was slightly above 1/2 gauge. Maybe it's my mind playing tricks on me.

I'm just going to buy a cam synchro and replace it just because of the age and miles as @RonD posted above. If it turns out to be the belts well it will still be piece of mind.

Edit:
So, looking at the tech forum for 3.0L Camshaft Position Sensor - Synchronizer - The Ranger Station it looks like it if for the 95+ 3.0L. It states. "On the 1991–94 2.9L and 3.0L engine, the distributor stator is the Camshaft Position (CMP) sensor, and it is a Hall effect magnetic switch."

Do I need to get the distributor, or can I buy a distributor stator separately?

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals