• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

There is such a thing as too many tools, especially when they're just in the way.

Ranger850

Doesn't get Sarcasm . . .
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Born with a 3.0, looking for a donor V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock 2"
Tire Size
Stock
My credo
Doing things wrong, until I get it right.
I am like that with my tool box at work only, the drawers are even labeled! Not so much at home, although the garage is more organized than the house or yard (many sheds and junk piles).

I've started making a sell/donate pile. Got a buddy who just got into welding coming over this weekend to peruse some of the metal working tools I'd part with. I don't need 3 chop saws, 3 bench grinders and 4 vises.
Are you sure?
Give one away, one breaks, now you're down to you're shittyest one and one for Parts, IF they're compatible.

Eddo Rogue

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger 4x4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
OHV
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
skyjacker front leveling kit
Tire Size
31-10.50R15
My credo
Crossed threads are tight threads.
He was a pilot in the Korean War, then flew for Boeing for a long time. He knew Mr. Boeing, personally. He quit flying before I was born, (1977) so those pliers are definitely older than I am, and work perfectly to this day.
Those vintage ones are the best ones to get, good condition examples sell for top dollar on fleabay. I'd hang on to it. Most common use for us is safety wiring motorcycle grips . Most pairs have grooves in em for it. The bigger pairs (9"+) are good for twisting regular bailing wire too.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Socket holder strips are the best
You can take one(or two) out to the vehicle to find "what's the right size", metric or SAE

Eddo Rogue

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger 4x4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
OHV
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
31-10.50R15
My credo
Are you sure?
Give one away, one breaks, now you're down to you're shittyest one and one for Parts, IF they're compatible.
The abrasive chopsaws I will never use, its just way to crude. I have a slugger w/ a blade for cutting stainless and its magic. Got band saws too. Anything else I'm deadly with a cuttoff wheel. I will keep my two good grinders, and use one for polishing. One is brand new in the box on the shelf for years, so I obviously don't need it. I'm more of a belt/disc sander guy now, pretty much just use the bench grinder for TIG tungsten tip cleaning.

Eddo Rogue

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger 4x4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
OHV
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
31-10.50R15
My credo
Socket holder strips are the best
You can take one(or two) out to the vehicle to find "what's the right size", metric or SAE
I love those things. screw bit holders too. the small stuff aint bad. its more like a crap ton of wrenches, piles f allen keys, old drills and saws. hand saws, sawz alls etc..

Eddo Rogue

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger 4x4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
OHV
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
31-10.50R15
My credo
Thanks guys, I feel a little better now....might even set some stuff on the curb today lol.

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
I've been thinking about getting rid of my abrasive chop saw too. I bet I have used it maybe once since I built my shop in '16. It was really useful back in the day before I had band saws and stuff but now just the thought of using it annoys me, sparks everywhere, burrs on everything and wildly inaccurate cuts. I may replace it with a metal cutting miter saw since I can't use those blades on my saw.

Speaking of oddball tools, I have a pair of Klein Scotch-lock crimp pliers that I will probably never use. I couldn't pass it up for 50 cents or whatever it was I paid for it...

snoranger

Professional money waster
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'79,'94,'02,'23
Make / Model
All Fords
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I didn't ask for your life story, just answer the question!
I have:
Work tools (supplied by work, never leave the shop.)
Service truck tools (supplied by work, never go into the shop.)
Bigger Snap on box (filled with Snap on tools that I purchased and used only at work before I got my government job.)
Smaller Snap on box ( I won the box from my old dealer. The box is full of mostly Snap on/ Matco/ Mac. I used these tools for automotive work at home.)
Basement craftsman toolbox (older tools that got replaced with Snap on stuff over the years. Used for around the house repairs.)
RC car workshop tools ( used in my workshop for building/ repairing r/c cars or similar projects.)

I have issues.

19Walt93

Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3"
Tire Size
235/55R16
My credo
If you don't have time to do it right will you have time to do it over?
The only thing I'm ocd organized about is my toolbox lol.

Trucks a mess, room is a mess, when I have hair on my head it's a mess... tool box though.. gotta look like someone on too much Adderall organized it every day for a week or I'm not happy.

Any tools you don't want feel free to send my way eddo lol. I'll even pay half for shipping, just to help out.
There's no such thing as OCD, that's what the slobs call someone who's organized.

Eddo Rogue

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger 4x4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
OHV
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
31-10.50R15
My credo
I've been thinking about getting rid of my abrasive chop saw too. I bet I have used it maybe once since I built my shop in '16. It was really useful back in the day before I had band saws and stuff but now just the thought of using it annoys me, sparks everywhere, burrs on everything and wildly inaccurate cuts. I may replace it with a metal cutting miter saw since I can't use those blades on my saw.

Speaking of oddball tools, I have a pair of Klein Scotch-lock crimp pliers that I will probably never use. I couldn't pass it up for 50 cents or whatever it was I paid for it...
They are only good for very rough cuts, and entertaining girls or pretty boys that want to play shop (they like sparks). I stopped using em years ago. Might as well go angle grinder cutoff wheel. I stuck to band saws, until I discovered the slugger. This thing cuts mild steel like butter, dang straight too, especially if you purchase the blade for cutting stainless. they aren't cheap ($140-$170 a blade), but if you don't chip a tooth. they can be resharpened. There's a few other brands, but the bases on em suck, this is the only one that actually holds and cuts miters (I still add clamps anyways). I'm gonna give away my old beat makita and a stack of abrasive blades this weekend. Got my slugger for $480 from the local Airgas shop. I love when brick and mortar beats online prices (and service).

Eddo Rogue

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger 4x4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
OHV
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
31-10.50R15
My credo
I have:
Work tools (supplied by work, never leave the shop.)
Service truck tools (supplied by work, never go into the shop.)
Bigger Snap on box (filled with Snap on tools that I purchased and used only at work before I got my government job.)
Smaller Snap on box ( I won the box from my old dealer. The box is full of mostly Snap on/ Matco/ Mac. I used these tools for automotive work at home.)
Basement craftsman toolbox (older tools that got replaced with Snap on stuff over the years. Used for around the house repairs.)
RC car workshop tools ( used in my workshop for building/ repairing r/c cars or similar projects.)

I have issues.
That actually sounds pretty organized.

Roert42

RBV's on Boost
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I’ve never heard of a slugger. I’m guessing it’s a name brand of for a type of cold saw.

They are the tits for accuracy in your cuts. Puts any band saw to shame.

Nothing beats the abrasive chop saw for cheap and fast.

Vindictus

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
ReMan 4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
235/75/15
I've started making a sell/donate pile. Got a buddy who just got into welding coming over this weekend to peruse some of the metal working tools I'd part with. I don't need 3 chop saws, 3 bench grinders and 4 vises.
What do you mean!! Too many? 3 compressors, 7-8 hacksaws, 3 different sets of wrenches to be honest I don't think I have 1 of any tool . I guess being a tool buying Junkie is better than dope junkie. Maybe??

Eddo Rogue

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger 4x4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
OHV
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
31-10.50R15
My credo
What do you mean!! Too many? 3 compressors, 7-8 hacksaws, 3 different sets of wrenches to be honest I don't think I have 1 of any tool . I guess being a tool buying Junkie is better than dope junkie. Maybe??
Lol maybe. I have a lot of wrenches too, and duplicates of anything important, which is a lot of things 🙄

gaz

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
87Ranger Endrigo 2.9l, 87BII Endrigo 4.0l
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Ranger 5" (2" suspension), BII 4" suspension
Total Drop
Ranger 5sp, BII A4LD
Tire Size
Ranger 33"/4:10LS, BII 29"/3:73LS
My credo
Deengineer until it is how Blue Oval should have sold it!!
@Eddo Rogue ,
I will assemble a tool kit for regular evolutions and even some special types of jobs. For example:
1) I have a set of tools that I take to the junkyard
2) set of tools for impact
3) set for rivet jobs
4) set for motorcycles
5) set for bicycles
6) set for construction
7) set for automotive

I keep them very streamlined, if I learn a new special tool need, I may add it to a set or just keep that in with miscellaneous special tools storage.

I just recently expanded my impact potential with a nice set of SAE/Metric Tekton ⅜" deep/standard sockets, extensions and universals; prior to this, I had been milking my trusty Chicago Tool ½" drive metric, 10mm+ only set. Tearing apart that 94 Explorer, I made way better time using 18v impact for disassembly and have had to support it to adapt it to the be the norm.

With a large rivet structural repair upcoming, I upgraded my riveting kit with a Ingersoll Rand 118max long stroke gun, extra long anvil for steel rivets, my favorite buck bar and a coveted Cherrymax rivet sizer. Prior to this expansion, I had only used blind fasten rivets at home.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals