• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

What did you do to your Ranger today? (Part Deux!)

cbxer55

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Changed the alternator yesterday and it's all good again. Got it from NAPA, and opted for their NEW one instead of the remanufactured.

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
It's still a crapshoot with parts whether new or rebuilt... I changed my alternator with a NAPA unit last year sometime and it lasted 6 months but free replacement since lifetime warranty I think... they didn't question it anyway...

CrabGuy

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2004-Bone stock
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Why should I pay someone else to screw it up when I can screw it up myself for free?
I lost my Ranger key, remote fob, gas cap key, and toolbox key somewhere at the grocery store today. I can't believe no one turned them in. Luckily I had a hide-a-key stashed under the grille. I have scheduled a mobile locksmith coming out to cut and program a new PATS key on Tuesday. I reprogrammed a spare remote fob, I had dups of the other keys. I'm not comfortable with only one programmed key. AAA will reimburse me up to $150 for the locksmith which is great. The dealer charges over $200 for the same service and I would have to leave the truck there. I also tried to track down what sounds like a noisy lifter with a stethoscope; no scary engine noises detected but I think I have a exhaust leak somewhere near the cat that sounds worse when hot.

superj

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger edge
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3 liters of tire smoking power
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
none
Total Drop
none
Tire Size
235s
My credo
Grew up in the 70s, 80s, and 90s
Drove to lowes and got a small bbq, for hamburgers tomorrow, got some thinner for adhesive, got some light bulbs, got a useless plug that is supposed to let you turn the lamp off from another room, got two saw horses, and some charcoal.

Used the saw horses to hold a piece of that spare granite counter so we have a BBQ area on the porch, upstairs.

Attachments

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
I lost my Ranger key, remote fob, gas cap key, and toolbox key somewhere at the grocery store today. I can't believe no one turned them in. Luckily I had a hide-a-key stashed under the grille. I have scheduled a mobile locksmith coming out to cut and program a new PATS key on Tuesday. I reprogrammed a spare remote fob, I had dups of the other keys. I'm not comfortable with only one programmed key. AAA will reimburse me up to $150 for the locksmith which is great. The dealer charges over $200 for the same service and I would have to leave the truck there. I also tried to track down what sounds like a noisy lifter with a stethoscope; no scary engine noises detected but I think I have a exhaust leak somewhere near the cat that sounds worse when hot.
That’s a bummer. I can now program and cut my own PATS keys, but even at that I still try to maintain at least 3 or 4 PATS keys for each. Just easier.

CrabGuy

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2004-Bone stock
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Why should I pay someone else to screw it up when I can screw it up myself for free?
That’s a bummer. I can now program and cut my own PATS keys, but even at that I still try to maintain at least 3 or 4 PATS keys for each. Just easier.
I read that once you have 2 working PATS keys you can cut your own blanks and program as many as you want without having to hook up a computer. It's that 1st and 2nd key that requires a computer to program them. If that info is correct I'll do the same as you and keep a few spares on hand. I'm going to check back today and see if the keys turned up but I doubt it.

snoranger

Professional money waster
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'79,'94,'02,'23
Make / Model
All Fords
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I didn't ask for your life story, just answer the question!
How often do you lose keys that you need to have 3 or 4 ready to go at all times?!?!

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
I read that once you have 2 working PATS keys you can cut your own blanks and program as many as you want without having to hook up a computer. It's that 1st and 2nd key that requires a computer to program them. If that info is correct I'll do the same as you and keep a few spares on hand. I'm going to check back today and see if the keys turned up but I doubt it.
Yes, that is correct with two caveats. You need two individual working PATS keys to program a third. Places like Home Depot, Ace, Lowes, etc can cut you a working PATS key but it’s a clone key, they program it to clone your original, so even though both will start the truck, you can’t use the clone to program a third key because the computer sees it as the original key and not a separate. Hopefully the locksmith is smart enough to program it as an individual key and not a clone. Forscan and an adapter cable can be used to program keys on your own for most Fords if you get the extra license. You can, however, have as many clone keys as you want, but you have to be careful if you buy blanks, not all blanks accept full individual programming, some are clone only.

Caveat #2 is there is a limit to individual keys that the system holds. I want to say it’s 8 keys and like 12 fobs. If you had 8 individual keys programmed to the truck in its life, you can’t add another individual without deleting keys from the computer. My green Ranger I got with one working key, but when I got into the computer, it showed 5 keys. I don’t know if things have changed, but at the time you needed two good individual keys to wipe the old and start over, so I did. There was no way with Forscan at the time to wipe individual keys, so it was delete them all. You must have two good individual keys for a full wipe though. Anyone who has the other 4 keys that were lost with prior owners no longer work that truck

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
How often do you lose keys that you need to have 3 or 4 ready to go at all times?!?!
I don’t, but with the PATS, if you only have two and lose one, you’re kinda screwed. If you have three or 4 you can easily program a replacement. I always carry two sets of keys on me for whatever I’m driving. One spare set stays secure at home and the other spare secure with my parents. By sticking with this system (the keys I carry on me I keep separate, either different pockets or one set clipped on with a ‘biner and one set in a pocket.) Bout impossible to accidentally get locked out of a truck like that. And there’s keys available for an emergency like when my buddy had to go to my parents and pick up my F-150 and dad’s tow dolly to come rescue my red Ranger when it slagged a piston.

CrabGuy

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2004-Bone stock
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Yes, that is correct with two caveats. You need two individual working PATS keys to program a third. Places like Home Depot, Ace, Lowes, etc can cut you a working PATS key but it’s a clone key, they program it to clone your original, so even though both will start the truck, you can’t use the clone to program a third key because the computer sees it as the original key and not a separate. Hopefully the locksmith is smart enough to program it as an individual key and not a clone. Forscan and an adapter cable can be used to program keys on your own for most Fords if you get the extra license. You can, however, have as many clone keys as you want, but you have to be careful if you buy blanks, not all blanks accept full individual programming, some are clone only.

Caveat #2 is there is a limit to individual keys that the system holds. I want to say it’s 8 keys and like 12 fobs. If you had 8 individual keys programmed to the truck in its life, you can’t add another individual without deleting keys from the computer. My green Ranger I got with one working key, but when I got into the computer, it showed 5 keys. I don’t know if things have changed, but at the time you needed two good individual keys to wipe the old and start over, so I did. There was no way with Forscan at the time to wipe individual keys, so it was delete them all. You must have two good individual keys for a full wipe though. Anyone who has the other 4 keys that were lost with prior owners no longer work that truck

Thanks! Good info, didn't know about the clone keys not working for making additional copies. The locksmith specializes is this process but I'll ask him about what you said. I just want a spare for my hide-a-key and one spare for the house. I have a clip key chain that I attach to a belt loop and I think my T-shirt got in the mix. I should put a fishing pole bell on them. :pissedoff: I'm 74, losing stuff is becoming much more common!

G8orFord

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC S/C
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
Just the right size to touch the ground.
The last time I had a key made at Ace, I specifically asked the guy if it would be an individual key or a clone. He assured me that it would be an individual key. I was a little surprised at his knowledge. He was aware of the clone vs. individual issue and even asked if I had other keys to program it myself since they would be useless once he programed the new key. It was almost $300 for the key, a new fob and programming and he connected to the vehicle to program it, so I'm pretty sure he was truthful. This was for an '08 Expedition. YMMV

Last edited:

snoranger

TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'79,'94,'02,'23
Make / Model
All Fords
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
he connected to the vehicle to program it,
That’s the big difference.

OEM PATS keys do not get programmed. They’re not smart keys. They just send out a signal. The vehicle is programmed to accept that signal.

cbxer55

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I don’t, but with the PATS, if you only have two and lose one, you’re kinda screwed. If you have three or 4 you can easily program a replacement. I always carry two sets of keys on me for whatever I’m driving. One spare set stays secure at home and the other spare secure with my parents. By sticking with this system (the keys I carry on me I keep separate, either different pockets or one set clipped on with a ‘biner and one set in a pocket.) Bout impossible to accidentally get locked out of a truck like that. And there’s keys available for an emergency like when my buddy had to go to my parents and pick up my F-150 and dad’s tow dolly to come rescue my red Ranger when it slagged a piston.
I've always done the same. Locked myself out of a vehicle back in the early 80's. Said, Never again. Always have two keys foe each of my five vehicles. Even the two bikes, as JIC I lose one somehow. And my vehicle keys are separate from all my other keys. The only key in the switch on any of my vehicles is just that key. Nothing else. Fortunately, my 98 Ranger isn't a PATs vehicle. Somehow, while helping a guy fix a flat back in 2018, I lost a key. Maybe it somehow ended up in the bed of his truck. I haven't a clue. But I had a second key on me, so it wasn't even an issue. Gas cap key wasn't with the key I lost. Each of my vehicles has a neck lanyard. Anything related to that vehicle is on that lanyard. Fob, gas cap are separate from the keys. So if I do lose a key, it's only that key. Nothing else.

snoranger

TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
RBV's on Boost
ASE Certified Tech
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'79,'94,'02,'23
Make / Model
All Fords
Engine Type
2.3 EcoBoost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I too have a system and it’s worked flawlessly since the mid 90’s. Don’t lose the key. :icon_rofl:

Pretty much everything I’ve owned has had keyless entry… even my 89 Supercoupe had the factory keypad on the door. It’s hard to get locked out when you know the 5 digit code. It’s even harder to get locked out when you almost never lock your vehicle.

When I do lock it, I use the remote. That way I know the key is in my hand… not in the truck.

Last edited:

broncc

Ham Radio Operator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco II
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
5"
Tire Size
My credo
Giving my truck more money than it deserves.
A year later and I found one. I'm very excited to get back on the mountain this winter after a couple years hiatus. :)

IMG_20220704_134647563.jpg

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals