• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

3.0V6 A4LD to 302 AOD swap questions

FatboyShadetree78

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT 2WD
Transmission
Automatic
Ok aside from new brackets and wiring and ecm and related items does anyone have pics of actual wiring changes? Like where do i cut and splice and stuff? Also will the shifter and linkage need to be changed? Column shift 4 gear shifter automatic to the AOD is anything necessary or will it just "clip in"? Will i need a new tailshaft as im keeping it 2wd? Will the rear axle from an explorer bolt in or will new spring perches be needed? I will be lowering it so axle over the spring pack is what im after. The djm(jdm, jmd) lowering I-beams are getting installed as well so will it hit the oil pan? I might have more questions later on but these are for now. My truck is a 94 xlt short cab long bed with 2wd. One day i want to make it a extended cab long bed but that will mean everything will need "stretched". Wiring, fuel and brake line parking brake cable and driveshaft but i want a longer ranger. A Langer...if you will. Or a Rannnger. Lol

Ranger850

Doesn't get Sarcasm . . .
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Born with a 3.0, looking for a donor V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock 2"
Tire Size
Stock
My credo
Doing things wrong, until I get it right.
Try using the Tech Library. A lot of this has been answered for you already.

Ford Ranger V8 Swaps:
4.6L Modular Engine

Ford 302 / 5.0 History & Specifications

1996-2001 Ford Explorer 5.0L Specifications

Explorer 5.0L Swap In To 1998-2011 Ford Ranger

1986 2.9L To 5.0L Engine Wiring

Install a 1996 Explorer 5.0L into a 1995-1997 Ranger

Explorer 5.0 Swap In A 2000 Ford Ranger

Install – 2000 Ford Explorer 5.0 Into 1998 Ford Ranger

V8 Swaps: 1983-1997 Ford Ranger (and all Bronco II’s)

Advance Adapters Engine Swap Information

Ford 5.0 Wiring

Angie

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
92 & 83 project
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.0L 302
Transmission
Automatic
My truck is a 94 xlt short cab long bed with 2wd. One day i want to make it a extended cab long bed but that will mean everything will need "stretched".

Really?? I would get the truck you want to end with and start to build your project with that... this idea of yours will be the biggest waste of time, money and energy I have heard of in a while. unless you are just building a chopped drag truck... why bother?

Ranger850

Doesn't get Sarcasm . . .
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Born with a 3.0, looking for a donor V8
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Stock 2"
Tire Size
Stock
My credo
Doing things wrong, until I get it right.
My truck is a 94 xlt short cab long bed with 2wd. One day i want to make it a extended cab long bed but that will mean everything will need "stretched".
WOW, I didn't read that far into the post. LOL.
As @Angie mentioned. Start with the truck you want. Possibly sale or trade the one you have for the one you want and go from there. Extended cab long bed was never made by Ford and would be very labor intensive to achieve, not to mention the cost.$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

don4331

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
@Angie : Be nice, might not be what you want, but it is what some of us do. :cool: I've done 2 and assisted at least 3 other on the forum here do the same.

OP should start with the SuperCab short bed as it is much easier to extend the rear frame. There will we a strategic cut of the SuperCab frame, a matching one for the Long box frame, welding/fishplating the sections back together and OP has unique truck - @FatboyShadetree78 at least has the long box/rear frame as pieces of puzzle. The fuel system for a SuperCab doesn't get moved as you are adding after it. If you use Chev 1/2 ton springs, they are the 6" longer from front shackle to axle which is same amount that the long box moves the axle back, so you don't have to more shackles. So, you're down to just adding 6" to the brake line and 12" wiring section for the tail lights.

@FatboyShadetree78 : To use an Explorer 4R70W in a 2wd, you would need to remove everything from inside the transmission, replace the rear output shaft with a 2wd one and put everything back in (you wanted to rebuild the transmission anyways, right?). Then you can replace the output housing with one from 2wd. I have to admit I am cheap/lazy. A Mustang with 3.8/Auto has the exact transmission you are looking for (you get the output shaft and housing you would need anyways). Then you can decide to rebuild before installing or not; I sold the 4R70W 4wd transmission to someone with blown auto in his f-150 for much more than my cost of the Mustang and rebuild. I didn't change anything with my column shifter.

I grabbed the driveshaft from the Mustang while I was there anyway, I think I had to swap it over the transmission yoke to the Ranger driveshaft - 32 vs 25 spline thing. If I remember correctly, if you have a 2 piece drive shaft and use the front part of the SuperCab with the one from your long box they combined to the correct length. Again, I think I had to swap the Explorer yoke to the Ranger driveshaft to connect the Explorer axle. (I told myself I wanted to replace the u-joints anyways).

Something is bugging me that you are losing your speedometer drive (I normally work with just '98-00 Rangers). But that is covered in links provided.

If you are lowering your truck, the Explorer axle is excellent starting point - gears are a little low, but I care more about acceleration than fuel economy. The engine is over the frame crossmember for the TIB arms. so you don't run into anything unless you are trying to really lay frame.

Angie

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
92 & 83 project
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
4.0L 302
Transmission
Automatic
@Angie : Be nice, might not be what you want, but it is what some of us do. :cool: I've done 2 and assisted at least 3 other on the forum here do the same.

ok, my mistake. your correct i guess its not my thing and seems backwards in my books. more power to your project. If you have the time and means for it, hat tip to ya.

Never heard of it happening is why it seems counter proactive.

cheers

but here is what throws me sideways..... going from regular cab long box to extended cab long box.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals