• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

What did you do to your Ranger today? (Part Deux!)

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
Managed to work a little on the green Ranger. Mom’s Explorer went in for inspection today and it failed with a laundry list so unfortunately I’m going to have to take care of that. One tire worn out, needs front rotors and pads, rear suspension bushing, one rear tie rod. Pads and tie rod are warranty and I have a good tire to throw on. Bushing will probably be the hardest part to deal with.

But anyway, back to the green Ranger. I decided to give the valves a quick spin with some grinding compound before cleaning the head and putting it back together. For the most part, so far the intake valves are pretty, but the exhaust valves are pitted up. They aren’t cleaning up as well as I’d like, but they should do alright, it was more of a well, since it’s apart… lol. Unfortunately one intake valve looks questionable. It has a chunk missing that looks like it was probably there from the factory and it’s not making good contact with the seat. Slides good though, no binding or play. Not sure if I should give it a good grind and send it or just replace it.
A9399D94-DE63-43E6-BFD0-9881743C5CC9.jpeg
E50AE68B-C1A8-4711-8160-BCADD4FCA3FE.jpeg

ekrampitzjr

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
If you replace one valve, rule of thumb says replace them all. Same with lifters, valve springs, etc. Don't replace just one. Call it the "Lay's potato chip" rule.

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
If you replace one valve, rule of thumb says replace them all. Same with lifters, valve springs, etc. Don't replace just one. Call it the "Lay's potato chip" rule.
On one hand I fully agree. On the other hand, I need this motor back together and running. It only has to run long enough for me to build a motor specifically for this truck. Which will hopefully happen this winter. I’d like it to last longer than that, but once I have what I want built, it’s less of a concern. Right now budget and time are tight.

racsan

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford/escape
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.5/151 I-4
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
235/70/16
My credo
the grey-t escape
My thoughts: well if your *going* to have a valve that may leak a bit , better to be a exhaust than a intake. Since its a “for now” Id say use what you have on hand of the best parts. If it was a more “permanent “ engine it would be a different story.

ericbphoto

Overlander in development
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6"
Tire Size
35"
My credo
In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they are different.
My thoughts: well if your *going* to have a valve that may leak a bit , better to be a exhaust than a intake. Since its a “for now” Id say use what you have on hand of the best parts. If it was a more “permanent “ engine it would be a different story.
Nothing is so permanent as the item that is continually and frequently labeled "temporary".

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
Nothing is so permanent as the item that is continually and frequently labeled "temporary".
There is this… and knowing my luck it will be temporarily permanent

pjtoledo

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Fords
Engine Size
3.0 2.3
I take a couple bolts that will be the same as the bell housing bolts, cut the heads off and saw a screwdriver slot on the end, finger start them in the engine. Do it yourself alignment pins. If you want another set of hands/eyes I could head your way friday & help out. Let me know.

thanks for the offer. I'm taking my time and should be OK. I had this tranny out 10 years ago for a clutch job.
I do use guide bolts, have 2 that are long enough to engage the bell housing before it lines up with the clutch.
the temperature was 99 here today, the basement is only 67 so guess where I was?
today I fabricated a transmission holder that mounts to my floor jack, did that last time too.

while under the truck I can pump the jack with my leg, manipulate the tranny as needed, and work the chain to raise or lower the back of the engine as needed.
( no pics allowed ) :icon_surprised:

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
Somewhere around 6-7 years ago I threw an engine together for my '90 in the winter in about 6 square feet of my garage with the best of the leftover parts I had, bought some new bearings and rings and seals and such but mixmatched pistons, ball honed the block with top ridges still there... It's still there, runs decent, leaks oil several places, fixed most of them, even pulled the head a few years ago and head it rebuilt trying to fix things but I think it's the oil galley plugs in the bellhousing area... I'm hoping to throw together another engine this winter to hopefully be sealed up, I have a N/A block to use to start with this time so hopefully the bores will be in better shape...

Basically what I'm getting at is the same temporarily permanent deal mentioned above... blew the engine in like October, sat for months, got it running in February for my trip in April that year...

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
So… worked a little on mom’s Explorer. Needs front brakes, a rear bushing and rear tie rod.

All work on the trucks has to stop for a bit though. I now have a garage to try and figure out how to disassemble and move to my property. Anyone want to come help? It was a deal too good to pass up (free) and I just got word tonight that it’s mine. Gonna take a bit before I’m ready to put it up on my property, but this is gonna be a huge help once it’s up.

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals