• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

What did you do to your Ranger today? (Part Deux!)

Rowdy Fitzgerald

Hog hunter
Firefighter
EMT / Paramedic
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1987, 1989
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Total Lift
6”
Tire Size
I was out exercising my hounds yesterday, idling down a ditch bank when a lifter on the driver’s side decided to collapse. Pretty bummed about that. Thinkin I might try putting some sea foam in the oil.

Roert42

RBV's on Boost
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Mounted this vacuum/ boost gage in my blue ranger. Not plumbed in yet because I don’t feel like removing the intake to get at the free vacuum ports.

478C8A2A-203F-486D-9F9F-A97B1C4E50F2.jpeg

Saddle Tramp

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Took it to some relaxing places.

20220617_140127.jpg

Gave it a wash.
Spray painted the spots where the paint blew off during the wash.

scotts90ranger

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1990, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
35"
Today I backed up the '90 about 10' so I could install the last piece of trim on my shop, should be ready for final inspection in the next couple weeks...

ekrampitzjr

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
On Saturday (was really tired after the trip and slept a lot on Sunday, so sorry about the late post) I drove the Ranger down to Ocracoke on the Outer Banks of North Carolina. This was a 400+ mile round trip. Left at midnight Saturday morning and got back at about 8 pm after a side stop in Virginia Beach.

The big V-6 managed 24.2 miles per gallon, and that was with the A/C on most of the time. I won't bore you with my tricks for saving fuel, but this ain't bad for that engine. And no, I drove the speed limits the whole trip.

superj

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger edge
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3 liters of tire smoking power
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
none
Total Drop
none
Tire Size
235s
My credo
Grew up in the 70s, 80s, and 90s
The ranger is still hauling granite slabs. Three or four and the back is halfway squating to ground though.luckily today should be the last two or three.

Still really like the shell on the back. I bought a cheap bed extender from a full size to see if I can cut it down to go in the back so stuff stays back by the tailgate, yesterday. I already have the Amp research mounts, found them on Amazon new in box, for 10 or so bucks.

I Luke those bed extenders. I had one on my frontier previously and it was horribly useful with such a short bed as those have

pjtoledo

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Fords
Engine Size
3.0 2.3
it's putting up a fight for the last inch and a half. can't get the input shaft into the clutch disk.
time for plan B

i'm a gonna take a nap

2022-06-20 17.00.38.jpg
2022-06-20 17.02.50.jpg

this engine being a 2002 has an aluminum valve cover, which has a different sized nipple for the crankcase vent than my 2005 engine did. which is why I have a piece of heater hose stuck on it.

the tranny is still mounted at the rear. I'm going to move it back and set the motor on the mounts then slide the tranny back forward. maybe

had to take the oil filter adapter off, way too much in the way during installation.

superj

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger edge
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
none
Total Drop
none
Tire Size
235s
My credo
Bed extender modding came out great..... if I didn't have a shell on the truck. I now need to find one of those extenders that has 45 degree corners instead of round corners.

But, if I take the shell off, this one is perfect

G8orFord

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC S/C
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
Just the right size to touch the ground.
it's putting up a fight for the last inch and a half. can't get the input shaft into the clutch disk.
time for plan B

i'm a gonna take a nap

View attachment 78011View attachment 78012

this engine being a 2002 has an aluminum valve cover, which has a different sized nipple for the crankcase vent than my 2005 engine did. which is why I have a piece of heater hose stuck on it.

the tranny is still mounted at the rear. I'm going to move it back and set the motor on the mounts then slide the tranny back forward. maybe

had to take the oil filter adapter off, way too much in the way during installation.
If you're doing it by yourself getting the splines and pilot bearing aligned can be a pain. If you've got a helper, once you get the input shaft thru the clutch, you can hold against it and have the helper press the clutch a little to help free everything up. A little wiggling and it'll slide right in. You can also turn the output shaft with the tranny in gear if the driveshaft is out. But again you need a helper.

pjtoledo

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Fords
Engine Size
3.0 2.3
If you're doing it by yourself getting the splines and pilot bearing aligned can be a pain. If you've got a helper, once you get the input shaft thru the clutch, you can hold against it and have the helper press the clutch a little to help free everything up. A little wiggling and it'll slide right in. You can also turn the output shaft with the tranny in gear if the driveshaft is out. But again you need a helper.

I'm running solo on this. already decided it would be easier to pull the tranny, then set the engine on the mounts. tomorrow I'll put an adapter on the floor jack to hold the tranny.
as it is now the engine is on the mounts while still suspended and the tranny is out.
it's much easier to mate the tranny to the engine than it is to mate the engine to the tranny.

I will prevail :annoyed:

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
It always seems like a fight to mate the two, I’ve done it so many times. Always seems like even if you can get it to slide together, then you have trouble getting the bolts lined up. I’m usually flying solo on it too. Just a pain. Getting to the point where I’m going to be inclined to pull and set the engine and trans as a unit and bolt/unbolt them out of the vehicle

superj

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger edge
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
none
Total Drop
none
Tire Size
235s
My credo
i pull the transmission, normally. i tilt the front of the motor with a jack on the pan or somewhere up front so it gives more room in the back to line stuff up and reach the top bolts.

racsan

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford/escape
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.5/151 I-4
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
235/70/16
My credo
the grey-t escape
I take a couple bolts that will be the same as the bell housing bolts, cut the heads off and saw a screwdriver slot on the end, finger start them in the engine. Do it yourself alignment pins. If you want another set of hands/eyes I could head your way friday & help out. Let me know.

Maritime Drag Racing

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
355 Chevrolet
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
2" drop rear shackles
Tire Size
27 X 5 X 15 Hoosier front - 9X30 Hoosier rear(slicks)
My credo
Race it - Break it - Fix it - Repeat
Finally got my Lexan windshield installed. Still have to put the chrome trim back on but I'm sure glad this job is finally over. I fought for two days getting the original(cracked) glass out and had to use every tool and every method I saw on YouTube. That black is just paint streaks on the protective film.
20220621_144235.jpg

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals