• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Transfer case fluid

Wilcox

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Xlt ranger
Transmission
Manual
Lots of different answers on this. What should I use and how much in my aluminum 1988 soft touch engagement transfercase. What's the best and kind of fluid and how much is typical. Thanks guys.

rubydist

TRS Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger FX4
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD

19Walt93

Ford Technician
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
3"
Tire Size
235/55R16
My credo
If you don't have time to do it right will you have time to do it over?
Ford sells a dedicated transfer case fluid that meets Mercon transmission fluid specs. I use Mercon transmission fluid because it's the same and cheaper.

fixizin

FoMoCo is forcing me to buy a 'yota
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
XL Spurt
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0 (Flex)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
A properly suspensioned Ranger can be safely airborne for up to 4 seconds at a time! =:O
I lost mah mind recently and refilled Ye Olde Borg-Warner 1354(?) with a fluid so special, they don't even make it any more: Valvoline MaxLife Full-Synthetic Dex/Merc ATF (newer version is "ALL Vehicles"... can't trust that, lol...) ... supposedly it will no longer shift-on-the-fly... in fact, it will probably <<eh-SPLODE>> the moment it's engaged!... :rolleyes: ... I'll let you know when I get The Dreaded PVH Hubs fixed... and the vacuum lines re-routed... and the shift motor replaced... and... 😎

In the meantime, the M5OD tranny has never shifted better! Took a couple hundred miles for the Valvoline to work into all the synchros and splash up onto the new shifter bushings, and displace remnants of the old ATF with 80k miles on it, but now it's like buttah, up-shifting and down-shifting! No more double-clutch RPM-matching...

fixizin

FoMoCo is forcing me to buy a 'yota
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
XL Spurt
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3.0 (Flex)
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
A properly suspensioned Ranger can be safely airborne for up to 4 seconds at a time! =:O
Strange table, with a LOT of ERRORS in it... 15.2 quarts of coolant for a 3.0L Vulcan w/ manual trans?... OVER by about 5 quarts... :unsure: :icon_confused: :icon_confused:

Wilcox

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Xlt ranger
Transmission
Manual
This chart is not very good for the older 1988 models. Not much info for rear axel or manual trany.

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
I've always run whatever ATF I had on hand in transfer cases. Walt is correct though, Mercon ATF is the right fluid.

BuckHunter

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger 4x4
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Ok so fill me in here. I have a 2002 ranger took it to the dealer for some Work needing done. While in there I asked for the transfer case fluid changed. They put mercon v in it. I knew the old mercon was no longer available. Now they say the XL 12 transfer case fluid is no longer available what's up with this. Is the mercon v ok? It has the 1354 in it not a manual.

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals