• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Deleting the pump from a fuel pump

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
After laying in the parking lot in front of the Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep/Ram dealership I work at beating on the fuel tank of my '85 to get the fuel pump to kick in I am researching fuel pump options.

I can't wait to hear about it at work on Monday...

As someone with 3/4 of a tank of fuel going back to a frame mounted pump has a certain appeal. Down the road if I have a fuel pump there is no dropping fuel tank games to change the pump.

A regular carb fuel pickup is NLA, I know people have done carb swaps on EFI trucks... is there any trick to getting fuel pulled thru a fuel module?

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
I just used a Holley blue pump and pulled fuel through the in tank pump on my 88. Never gave me any issue.

racsan

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford/escape
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.5/151 I-4
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
235/70/16
My credo
the grey-t escape
Im running this pump on my ‘94, stock pump assembly is still in the tank. the only issue Ive had is that below 1/4 of a tank it acts like its not getting enough fuel , still will run but must be more difficult pulling gas through the stock pump when the tank is low. I usually fill up at 1/2 tank, but on the trip to southington a couple years back I went clear to 1/4 tank and it didn’t have a issue. The frame mount pump Im using is a little noisy though, got it at a local speed shop, I believe its meant for efi applications in racing, Ive put about 4 years/10K miles on it this way. Theres 2 fuel filters since I didnt have a way to connect the efi fuel line to the pump, both lines are on a filter then the other barb of the filter has a 5/16” hose slid on in & clamped. The whole mess is zip-tied in place inside framerail. power to the pump is out of the underhood fuse block, a unused spot that is B+ “ignition on”.
237BABF1-B685-4490-98BB-B3111F101424.jpeg
C9806A0D-A3FD-4B2F-9A52-83A6979372E4.jpeg

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I just used a Holley blue pump and pulled fuel through the in tank pump on my 88. Never gave me any issue.
Any reason why blue over red?

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
It was a take off hand me down donation. Free is always good...

If I remember... the blue pump is a bit more pressure and volume then the red. But you could run the red pump... should do everything you need.

dvdswan

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT 2WD
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Keep your mind like an umbrella, it only works if its open... Continually learning.
Im running this pump on my ‘94, stock pump assembly is still in the tank. the only issue Ive had is that below 1/4 of a tank it acts like its not getting enough fuel , still will run but must be more difficult pulling gas through the stock pump when the tank is low. I usually fill up at 1/2 tank, but on the trip to southington a couple years back I went clear to 1/4 tank and it didn’t have a issue. The frame mount pump Im using is a little noisy though, got it at a local speed shop, I believe its meant for efi applications in racing, Ive put about 4 years/10K miles on it this way. Theres 2 fuel filters since I didnt have a way to connect the efi fuel line to the pump, both lines are on a filter then the other barb of the filter has a 5/16” hose slid on in & clamped. The whole mess is zip-tied in place inside framerail. power to the pump is out of the underhood fuse block, a unused spot that is B+ “ignition on”.
View attachment 77908View attachment 77909
FYI, you should trim your rattails on the zipties shorter, like flush. They have a very nasty habit of slicing you arm open when you hit them "accidently". 10x worse than hose clamp ends.

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
FYI, you should trim your rattails on the zipties shorter, like flush. They have a very nasty habit of slicing you arm open when you hit them "accidently". 10x worse than hose clamp ends.
The key is to use flush cut side cutters... I have several cheap pairs.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
High pressure pumps can't generate SUCTION to pull fuel in, they need a gravity feed, like being IN the tank at the bottom, or they need a feeder pump like early Rangers had, when they switched to fuel injection

The old mechanical diaphragm pumps powered by a pushrod in the engine generated alot of suction so could pull fuel up and over the top of the tank and to the engine bay, but only 4-9psi pressure out to carb

If you create a siphon effect and high pressure pump is lower than bottom of the gas tank then it could work to have that one external pump, but if you lost that siphon then high pressure pump couldn't get it going again, you would need to restart the siphon again, so not very practical
Better to just put a high pressure pump in the gas tank, so there is just the one pump, like Ford did in 1989 and up Rangers

OR

Drill a hole in the bottom of the tank to feed the high pressure pump in the frame rail :)

racsan

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford/escape
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.5/151 I-4
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
235/70/16
My credo
the grey-t escape
Yeah, I know my setup isnt ideal, started out as a “get me by” thing, then when I finally put a pump in- it lasted a month then quit, I still had the stuff from my “rigging “, so it went back in.

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Yes, 3rd party fuel pumps can be frustrating, keep the warranty as you may need to swap new pump out one or two times to get one that lasts the 1 or 2 years of the warranty, if they last that long then there a good chance it will last 10 years more

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
My in-tank pump has always been freaking helpless to repressure the system if I ran it out. Like go eat your lunch and just let the pump run. My old Mr Gasket pump on the frame was all around vastly superior.

Then I had to get fancy and changed to the in tank pump to fix the fuel level sender...

I did find my old carb pickup, kinda wondering if I get bored enough some time to try to swap the sender assembly from the current in-tank pump to my old pickup.

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
I'm reasonably sure you jinxed the G-Unit.

I went out to drain the tank then pull it and neither of the fuel pumps work. I'm not sure the in tank pump worked but I ran it so I know the in line pump worked.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I'm reasonably sure you jinxed the G-Unit.

I went out to drain the tank then pull it and neither of the fuel pumps work. I'm not sure the in tank pump worked but I ran it so I know the in line pump worked.
You are welcome!

ford4wd08

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Ford did run a in tank pump for carbs (like my F350 project I'm working on).

It was called the hot start or (hot fuel) option and a lot of the carb'ed 460's got them in the end of the bullnose era to the start of the bricknose.

It does have a return line plumbed right at the carb.

I'm not sure of the pressures it put out, but it works well. My 460 fires right off after the fuel pump kicks on.

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
All my 460's got inline low pressure electric pumps (mounted on the frame rail) for that hot start problem. I removed the stock fuel pump and blocked the opening on the engine. Made life sooo much easier.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals