• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

84 bronco 2 clutch linkage

Lewistown92

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco 2
Transmission
Automatic
Howdy I've got an 84 b2 that I'm swapin out the c5 for the toyo 5speed. I pulled the pedal assembly out of a junk yard today. Dose anyone one no what linkage I need for the clutch assembly the 5 speed is out of an 84 as well but I don't have the truck and the one I got the pedals from today had no linkage. A diagram would be sweet or a push in the right direction helps thanks.

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
There is no linkage. The pedals underneath the dash actuate a clutch master cylinder over by the driver's side hood hinge area. Then there is a hydraulic line running down to a slave cylinder on the side of the bellhousing.

1984 had a oddball clutch system. It used a different flywheel, different clutch, and had a external slave cylinder for the hydraulics that actuated the throwout bearing lever. If your transmission is setup for this, you need all the correct parts to make it work.

If your transmission is a later model, then you need all the parts that match it to work. It just so happens I bought a 1984 Bronco II with a bad transmission. I had a 1986 Ranger with a good 5 speed, but it was a different model trans. But I used all the stuff out of the 1986, and it was a bolt in. I put the 1986 2.9 flywheel on the back of the 2.8, and used everything 1986 and it all fit. In the later years after 1984 they got away from the external slave and went with a internal slave built into the throwout bearing itself. So all the dimensions are different in the bellhousing and the transmission doesn't have a provision to mount the external slave.

The old manual transfer case bolted up and all the driveshafts fit with no problem. Even the transfer case shifter mounted up, the 1986 had a electric shift transfer case. I was afraid the adapter between the back of the later trans and the transfer case would not have the threaded holes for the manual shifter, since it came from a electronic shift setup, but they were there, I just had to clean the dirt out of the holes.

Lewistown92

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco 2
Transmission
Automatic
Thank you!! This what I needed to hear it's an 84 transmission I was confused with the internal slave on all the diagrams I found online. I'll let you know if I run into any snags on my swap.will the transfer case from my c5 bolt to the toyo 5 speed or do I gotta source a new tcase thanks

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
Thank you!! This what I needed to hear it's an 84 transmission I was confused with the internal slave on all the diagrams I found online. I'll let you know if I run into any snags on my swap.will the transfer case from my c5 bolt to the toyo 5 speed or do I gotta source a new tcase thanks
Try the transfer case. If the rangers and BII's are like the larger trucks, any Ford 4x4 transmission will bolt up to any Ford spec transfer case. I am not sure about this little stuff though, but during my 5 speed swap it went well and I was able to rid myself of the electronic shift transfer case.

Lewistown92

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco 2
Transmission
Automatic
Ok cool thanks!! What's your thoughts on the 2.8l any good?

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
The 2.8 has surprised me. Once I got it going I had to convert it over to a duraspark II setup and got rid of the computer mess they came with. It doesn't have the power the 2.9 has. But it is very simple to work on if you do the conversion. It was drinking oil, about 600 miles to the quart, till I went in and replaced the valve seals. Not a fun job, but after that it doesn't use any oil at all, just a few minor leaks here and there.

I dog this thing, it doesn't have a lot of power. But it doesn't seem to mind, it just keeps running. As long as it's reliable and I get from point A to point B, that is all I require. I drive it everyday to work, about 40 miles.

Lewistown92

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco 2
Transmission
Automatic
Sweet man I already did the duraspark and I have the valve stem seals in the top of my box. I plan on going about 9 miles one way back and forth to work top speed is 50 on that trek so I'm hoping it dose well. Guessing I'll get around 16 mpg ha ha but who knows

franklin2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Transmission
Manual
Right now I am in the middle of a distributor debacle, the Cardone duraspark distributor I swapped in lasted about 4 years and then it quit on me. It was totally wore out. I have been working on rebuilding it, but parts are very hard to find, and the distributors are not obtainable. It had a lifetime warranty but the store could not get another one.

What I did to get me going was to stick the old TFI distributor back in place. You can run it with 3 wires, but the timing will be locked, no advance. I stuck it in and twisted it around to about 20 degrees BTDC and have been running it like this for the past few months everyday. In warmer weather my best is 18.6mpg. That surprised me, and it surprised me how well it runs like that. I hope to get 20 mpg or better if I ever get the correct distributor back in place.

Lewistown92

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco 2
Transmission
Automatic
Sweet well I'm glad I got this forum to help me out as I go

Bronco ii Man

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco ii
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Engine Size
2.8 v6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
31x10.50-15
Pedal assembly hardest part in my book and bleeding the clutch components! Did this swap about a month ago! Best thing I ever did for my bii! Not that hard just time consuming! Not a big drastic change in performance, but you will notice a difference! Actually helps a lot compared to the automatic! Give you any advice on it just ask!

Lewistown92

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco 2
Transmission
Automatic
Awesome!! What year pedal assembly dose it have to be? I have one out of an 86 right now

Bronco ii Man

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco ii
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Engine Size
2.8 v6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
31x10.50-15
Think an 86 will work! Not 100% sure! I know 84 and 85 was the same! I did some modifications on mine, because it came from an 89! Changed the interior 89&90! So the assembly bracket is made different up top! Nss switch I bypassed and just use the backup lights wire! I’m the only driver so doesn’t matter I know lol! Pulling dash can be a pain, but your don’t pull it all out. Just the pad and vents to give you room!

Bronco ii Man

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco ii
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Engine Size
2.8 v6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
31x10.50-15
Speedo cluster will help with room also! Speedometer cable is a little difficult to remove unless you have small hands, which I don’t lol!

Bronco ii Man

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco ii
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Engine Size
2.8 v6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
31x10.50-15
When I said the vents I meant the piping for the vents! Mine was a pain for starter’s because I never done one before and finding all the bolts and screws to remove to disassemble it! They are quite a few so keep up with them! Very time consuming job, but if you can get it figured out the transmission swap is cake dude! I can drop my transmission with removing the t-case and put it back and driving in just under 3 1/2 hours! That’s by myself! Well not counting my transmission jack lol, so I guess 1 1/2 people!

Bronco ii Man

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Bronco ii
Engine Type
2.8 V6
Engine Size
2.8 v6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Total Drop
Tire Size
31x10.50-15
Don’t trash your c-5 bubba! Keep it and have it rebuilt! I hear they are pretty decent transmission for and auto

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals