• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

E-fan Swap Question 1993 3.0 4x4 Splash

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
Good for you on pushing that fan closer to the radiator. Shame on you for messing up the hose adaptor... we live and learn.

Hope it works out well for you. Be sure to update the with final results.

Insulated crimp on connectors... I prefer the non insulated type. Heat shrink fits way better... and you can also solder them if you choose. Back when I did far more harness builds I would buy the non insulated type. But I bought a 3 gallon bucket full of misc insulated connectors for $20 at a garage sale years ago. I make them non insulated by just grabbing the terminal end lightly with pliers and the insulated part with needle nose and giving it a twist. The insulation comes right off... then you can solder and heat shrink just as if they were non insulated. Doesn't work for butt connectors though... so I just buy the non insulated.

Coop7

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford / Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Good for you on pushing that fan closer to the radiator. Shame on you for messing up the hose adaptor... we live and learn.

Hope it works out well for you. Be sure to update the with final results.

Insulated crimp on connectors... I prefer the non insulated type. Heat shrink fits way better... and you can also solder them if you choose. Back when I did far more harness builds I would buy the non insulated type. But I bought a 3 gallon bucket full of misc insulated connectors for $20 at a garage sale years ago. I make them non insulated by just grabbing the terminal end lightly with pliers and the insulated part with needle nose and giving it a twist. The insulation comes right off... then you can solder and heat shrink just as if they were non insulated. Doesn't work for butt connectors though... so I just buy the non insulated.
Haha thanks man! I was pretty upset with myself for such a silly mistake. Cost me about $50 to replace the pipe and buy the PROPER size adapter. Not a cheap mistake for sure.

That's good to know! Aside from getting lucky at garage sales do you have a suggested place to buy a good variety in bulk? I don't know when my next wiring project will be, but that does seem much more convenient. I have a soldering gun I could use as well.

Do you have a suggestion on how to protect my temp sender connections? I don't want to use electrical tape, but I will if you think it's alright. Maybe once I verify it's running well and properly, heat shrink? Don't want them to bump around and ground out when they aren't supposed to.

This is by far my biggest wiring project to date as a civilian. Quite enjoyed it, but I've still got quite a bit to learn.

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
Yep... pop the insulation off your female spade connector. Slide heat shrink all the way out to cover the terminal... shrink it down. Insulated all the way out.

I always buy the heat shrink with the sealer in it. It's more money but it's just better stuff. Last time I bought connectors... I got them off Amazon.

Coop7

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford / Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Yep... pop the insulation off your female spade connector. Slide heat shrink all the way out to cover the terminal... shrink it down. Insulated all the way out.

I always buy the heat shrink with the sealer in it. It's more money but it's just better stuff. Last time I bought connectors... I got them off Amazon.
Roger dodger! I appreciate the help! Once I have it running and all the bugs worked out I'll do that. Hopefully I'll have the adapter mid week.

Coop7

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford / Ranger
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
All done! Finally... No current pics to post, but it's up and running well.

Opted to not tie into my AC lines. Makes my life easier and here in Houston if I'm sitting in traffic the fans gonna be on anyway. Don't want to add in another relay that probably wont see much use anyway. Not to mention that when I'm going 80 down the interstate I don't really want the fan on anyhow. If I have any trouble with it I can always install it in the future, but I don't think it will be necessary.

Had a bit of a headache with the adapter for the temp sender unit. It wanted to leak. This time, instead of cranking on it like a crazy person to tighten it, I first took it off and put more thread tape on it and THEN cranked on it like a crazy person. Nice and snug and no leaks. Fans kick on and today with a temp in the high 90s, had no issues. All in all pretty happy with it. I'll post up some pics of everything finished if I get around to it, but it really isn't all that impressive or much more than the boatload of pics I posted previously. Only exception is the wiring is tucked away a bit neater.

Thanks for all the help and advice gents!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals