• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Issues with Cv Axles 2002 Mazda B4000/Ranger

joesailor

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda B4000
I recently rebuilt the front suspension of my 2002 Mazda B4000/Ranger. I installed rebuilt Cardone CV axles
but even with new seals on the Dana 35 SLA they are leaking -- I suspect maybe ground down sealing surface too
much or bad splines?? The OEM Ford or Mazda Axles are NLA and everthing else appears to be China sourced.
I plan to try NAPA CV axles but not sure it will help. Very frustrating not being able to source decent parts for
my truck.

Last edited:

dvdswan

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT 2WD
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
My credo
Keep your mind like an umbrella, it only works if its open... Continually learning.
Welcome to the site.

Unless the axle was rubbing on something metal I doubt the seal surface would be ground down.

Either the new seals are bad or installed wrong would be my first guess.

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
Or seals got damaged during installation of the half shafts.

joesailor

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda B4000
I recently rebuilt the front suspension of my 2002 Mazda B4000/Ranger. I installed rebuilt Cardone CV axles
but even with new seals on the Dana 35 SLA they are leaking -- I suspect maybe ground down sealing surface too
much or bad splines?? The OEM Ford or Mazda Axles are NLA and everthing else appears to be China sourced.
I plan to try NAPA CV axles but not sure it will help. Very frustrating not being able to source decent parts for
my truck.
Update - removed the rebuilds from Cardone and replaced with NAPA China made new which are actually Cardone's.
No leaks - could not see any external issues with the remans but they go to the dump tomorrow.

joesailor

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda B4000
Or seals got damaged during installation of the half shafts.
. I was very careful with the seal and axle installation. I just removed the Cardone rebuilt CV's and then installed with NAPA new China made CV's which are actually Cardones. No leaks so there was something wrong with fit or tolerance on the remans's. They go to the dump tomorrow. I wish someone would make american sourced CV's for the Ranger/Mazda's like the Raxles available for foreign makes.

joesailor

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda B4000
Update -- Even with brand new seals correctly installed both sides still had small leaks on the front Dana Axle. I swaped out the
Cardone rebuild CV's for a pair of NAPA ( China made ) - CV's that are also just Cardone rebrands -- so far no leaks. The NAPA axles are not as beefy as the OEM's but I do not abuse the truck so should be OK. No clue what made the Cardone Rebuilds leak -

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals