• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

What did you do to your Ranger today? (Part Deux!)

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
I put in my new ECU and the truck runs near perfect. Every electronic thing has been changed now. Unfortunately I still get a CEL.
Interesting note. The wheel well liner terminates in a little cup where the whole world collects and rusts the sheet metal. Now my front quarter panel just kinda flops.
The mud flaps I installed not long after I bought the 2011 seems to have helped with that. The last time I had one of those pulled down, there wasn’t much in there and the metal seemed to be in pretty decent shape.

Chapap

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
1.5” till I get these springs replaced
Tire Size
225-70-R14
The mud flaps I installed not long after I bought the 2011 seems to have helped with that. The last time I had one of those pulled down, there wasn’t much in there and the metal seemed to be in pretty decent shape.
I have some mud flaps. Initially I thought that’s what was supposed to hold the panel on… then I figured out there there was some car missing.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
Used the XLT to run for oil for the FX4 and parking brake parts for the XLT.

Towed the trailer around for a bit of a shake down while I was at it. Not much to report there. The trailer towed well, I didn’t over grease the bearing buddies, so no grease flung everywhere, and hub and tire temperatures were good.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
I have some mud flaps. Initially I thought that’s what was supposed to hold the panel on… then I figured out there there was some car missing.
Mine are non factory. So, they do help hold the liner in some. I can’t speak for the factory mud flaps. At least not the front ones. The XLT did come with ones in the back.

pjtoledo

Supporting Member
U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Fords
Engine Size
3.0 2.3
I went and visited it today, a lot more rain has happened since I stuck it. Im leary about even backing up to it witha trailer to offload my mulch & stone or lift it with the 3-point. I feel I better wait a few days. supposed to not rain until thursday and be in the high 80’s. I did get a few pictures, but it doesnt begin to show how wet & swampy it is. The ruts leading into the area are from the F150 that tried pulling me out. On top of all this the starter on the hhr was about to die, escape isnt back home yet so left a good part of this weeks check at autozone for a starter. I was worried about it enough this morning that I never shut it off from the time I left to check on the truck until I got home from getting a starter & had it up on ramps. At least I shouldn’t have to worry about it now. In town I saw a silver maverick at the ford lot. Escape must still be inside, service dept not open on saturdays.View attachment 77041View attachment 77042View attachment 77044View attachment 77045

find someone with a stretching recovery strap. Kinetic recovery rope is what they are called.

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
find someone with a stretching recovery strap. Kinetic recovery rope is what they are called.
Make a call... See if MORR wants to bring the MORRVAIR out to Ohio to play in the mud and do a recovery. It might cost you a bit (or a lot of bits), but be fun for us to watch a lifted Corvair wagon playing in the mud.

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
Mine are non factory. So, they do help hold the liner in some. I can’t speak for the factory mud flaps. At least not the front ones. The XLT did come with ones in the back.
Factory mud flaps seem to funnel stuff in there. My first Ranger I always hosed that area out good on a regular basis

racsan

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford/escape
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.5/151 I-4
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
235/70/16
My credo
the grey-t escape
Got it pulled out of the swamp and have it at home finally! No pictures of the extraction itself, I drove my ford 2000 tractor there with the flatbed, backed the trailer as close to the truck as I dared & offloaded everything from the ranger onto the flatbed, The less weight the better. Next I moved the trailer out of the way & unhooked it. Took out my yellow tow straps (2) connected them then put my pintle hook into the hitch receiver. connected everything then backed the tractor to hook up. Used a clevis on a 3-point drawbar with swaybars, raised just enough so Im pulling “up” on the ranger and likewise “down” on the back of the tractor. Had about 40’ total strap from ranger to the tractor. Was outside the tree area just enough to where it wasnt swampy wet, just soft enough for the tractor to get a good bite. Put tractor in 1st, 1/4 throttle & it pulled it right out. I did have to stop part way & remove a strap then pull the other way along the ditch. Bren came along to be steering control in the ranger & also drive it home rather than load everything back in the truck, put tractor on the trailer then drive home towing with the ranger. Stone & mulch is still on the trailer now, Ive moved that around enough. Ants were trying to set up house in the door weatherstripping no longer than the truck had been sitting. A few more days would of been worse. Probably the worst of it all was pulling out on the road to leave & having all the mud fling everywhere. That & putting all the gear away, brought more than I needed but wasnt sure what would be needed. Had 3 log chains in addition to my 2 tow straps, a cable come-along, a boat winch with a pully, two sets of ramps, one wood & one aluminum. A shovel, floor jack, many 2x4’s and duct tape. yes duct tape. (hate it when log chain hooks come unhooked, so I tape em!) Was going to back up to truck, raise it with the 3-point & put ramps underneath but decided against it, didnt want to chance sticking the tractor and I figured making the butt end of the ranger weigh less would be my best bet. Ive yet to put the tailgate back on or wash it. Maybe tomorrow.
2B4D33D4-7303-4E53-965D-7023CAAE6CE6.jpeg
7B2AB08D-0CDE-43CA-99CB-75F2BA11DC37.jpeg
61CA7207-5D6B-4008-9C65-0543F68A21EC.jpeg
A6ACC7C4-0A5D-4258-944B-3726B704F258.jpeg

Attachments

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
Replaced the logic module for the cap brake light and replaced the parking brake shoes and hardware on the XLT. Also gave her another quick bath for the parade tomorrow.

For those with Explorers, Sport Tracs, or a 2010 & 2011 Ford Rangers with the rear disc brakes, the tip for installing the front spring on the outside of the shoes instead of inside of the shoes was a fantastic one. There was no way in Hades that those springs would ever get installed in the factory position without pulling the axles.

Bgunner

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford/Ranger XLT
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
225/70/R15
My credo
If it's not broken Don't Fix It!
What is the logic module and why is it needed?

I would think that you just draw the power from the stop light circuit and be done with it.

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual

I would think that you just draw the power from the stop light circuit and be done with it.
It would be needed if you tap into the taillights because if you didn’t, the third brake light would come on with the parking/running lights.

I tapped into the third brake light circuit in the cab and ran a wire back for both mine and dad’s. Also ran a 12 volt hot and a ground back there so I have a light inside the cap.

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way

It would be needed if you tap into the taillights because if you didn’t, the third brake light would come on with the parking/running lights.

I tapped into the third brake light circuit in the cab and ran a wire back for both mine and dad’s. Also ran a 12 volt hot and a ground back there so I have a light inside the cap.
The logic module is used when you take two signal circuits (both left and right turn) that are also used for brake lights and need to use it for a third brake light. Without it... third brake light would not work properly. Not sure it has anything to do with park lights.

Last edited:

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Got it pulled out of the swamp and have it at home finally! No pictures of the extraction itself, I drove my ford 2000 tractor there with the flatbed, backed the trailer as close to the truck as I dared & offloaded everything from the ranger onto the flatbed, The less weight the better. Next I moved the trailer out of the way & unhooked it. Took out my yellow tow straps (2) connected them then put my pintle hook into the hitch receiver. connected everything then backed the tractor to hook up. Used a clevis on a 3-point drawbar with swaybars, raised just enough so Im pulling “up” on the ranger and likewise “down” on the back of the tractor. Had about 40’ total strap from ranger to the tractor. Was outside the tree area just enough to where it wasnt swampy wet, just soft enough for the tractor to get a good bite. Put tractor in 1st, 1/4 throttle & it pulled it right out. I did have to stop part way & remove a strap then pull the other way along the ditch. Bren came along to be steering control in the ranger & also drive it home rather than load everything back in the truck, put tractor on the trailer then drive home towing with the ranger. Stone & mulch is still on the trailer now, Ive moved that around enough. Ants were trying to set up house in the door weatherstripping no longer than the truck had been sitting. A few more days would of been worse. Probably the worst of it all was pulling out on the road to leave & having all the mud fling everywhere. That & putting all the gear away, brought more than I needed but wasnt sure what would be needed. Had 3 log chains in addition to my 2 tow straps, a cable come-along, a boat winch with a pully, two sets of ramps, one wood & one aluminum. A shovel, floor jack, many 2x4’s and duct tape. yes duct tape. (hate it when log chain hooks come unhooked, so I tape em!) Was going to back up to truck, raise it with the 3-point & put ramps underneath but decided against it, didnt want to chance sticking the tractor and I figured making the butt end of the ranger weigh less would be my best bet. Ive yet to put the tailgate back on or wash it. Maybe tomorrow.
View attachment 77069View attachment 77070View attachment 77071View attachment 77072
Told ya the tractor wouldn't play fair. :icon_thumby:

racsan

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford/escape
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.5/151 I-4
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
235/70/16
My credo
the grey-t escape
Told ya the tractor wouldn't play fair. :icon_thumby:
Offloading what I had in the bed was a big help too I figure. Later that day I did the math on what was in the bed and it was nearly 800 pounds. Finally know why the ford tractor has such bad “death wobble “ at road speed- steering box wear. Its manual steering and if I put my feet on the ball joints of the arms coming off the steering box and apply pressure the death wobble stops! Good to have 2 vehicles again, hopefully the escape comes back home this week, not looking forward to that bill for services but it was needed and better left to someone who does that kind of stuff on a daily basis.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals