• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

What did you do to your Ranger today? (Part Deux!)

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
In my next life I plan to get my money for nothing... and the chick's for free.

For the rest of this life... I'm just trying to get through it without hearing aids.

Chapap

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger XLT
Engine Type
2.3 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Drop
1.5” till I get these springs replaced
Tire Size
225-70-R14
I put in my new ECU and the truck runs near perfect. Every electronic thing has been changed now. Unfortunately I still get a CEL.
Interesting note. The wheel well liner terminates in a little cup where the whole world collects and rusts the sheet metal. Now my front quarter panel just kinda flops.

Attachments

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
I'm sorry... I know I'm old. But for the life of me I just can't figure out why anyone would need that much sound power in the cab of a Ranger.
When I was younger I liked hammering it out. Then I ended up blowing out my subs and back then Best Buy was offering a warranty that they refused to honor. I haven’t set foot in one since. That was after they refused to honor even the factory warranty on an amp that fried and a different business helped me out sending it in for the factory warranty. And before they tried to screw me by adding bogus charges to my card. But at any rate, I didn’t replace the subs before I wrecked the truck.

Never really got back into it for awhile, had an amp get stolen, didn’t really have money to spare, etc. Then after my hip surgery I needed an automatic that ran and drove. Enter my green Ranger. The guy wanted more than I could spend, but he said if he stripped out his system, he would knock a grand off it. I said ok to that and went to look at it, like 2 hours away and when I got there and decided to take it, he didn’t have the system out. So he pulled his Optima, amps, and giant box (4 - 10” subs, 4 - 6x9s), bought me a new stock battery and left the rest. I drove it around for awhile like that, but it was bugging me to have all the wiring done and no bump.

My at the time new mechanic buddy had all kinds of stereo stuff around and we got to talking and before long I had an amp and sub in the truck. Then I found a deal on some good subs and another amp and returned the borrowed sub. It hits… hard. But after a couple weeks of letting it thunder, it got turned down. I like the fuller sound of having subs and everything balanced, but it rarely got turned up. My F-150 I wired for it a long time ago, but never put in anything. I got my hands on a 10” sub in a truck box, but it doesn’t fit behind the seat and I haven’t got around to doing anything about it yet. So it’s currently in the GFs car, lol.

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
I put in my new ECU and the truck runs near perfect. Every electronic thing has been changed now. Unfortunately I still get a CEL.
Interesting note. The wheel well liner terminates in a little cup where the whole world collects and rusts the sheet metal. Now my front quarter panel just kinda flops.
Yup, there is a drain hole, but nobody seems to hose it out once in awhile. I dug some kinda sandy stuff out of my Green Rangers ones and I think I’m just gonna cut the bottoms off of it on that truck before it rusts that stuff worse.

1990RangerinSK

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
2.9 V6
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
I'm sorry... I know I'm old. But for the life of me I just can't figure out why anyone would need that much sound power in the cab of a Ranger.
You're not old. You're not even ancient.

You're

Prehistoric!

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
Don't you have a tree to climb?

Maybe you need some new Legos?
:icon_rofl:

Did I strike a nerve? Does this have to do with your wife giving you dirt to shovel?

It’s raining here, I’m not climbing in the rain. And nobody has bought me legos since I was a kid so I feel cheated now…

racsan

Supporting Member
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford/escape
Engine Type
2.5 (4 Cylinder)
Engine Size
2.5/151 I-4
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
235/70/16
My credo
the grey-t escape
I went and visited it today, a lot more rain has happened since I stuck it. Im leary about even backing up to it witha trailer to offload my mulch & stone or lift it with the 3-point. I feel I better wait a few days. supposed to not rain until thursday and be in the high 80’s. I did get a few pictures, but it doesnt begin to show how wet & swampy it is. The ruts leading into the area are from the F150 that tried pulling me out. On top of all this the starter on the hhr was about to die, escape isnt back home yet so left a good part of this weeks check at autozone for a starter. I was worried about it enough this morning that I never shut it off from the time I left to check on the truck until I got home from getting a starter & had it up on ramps. At least I shouldn’t have to worry about it now. In town I saw a silver maverick at the ford lot. Escape must still be inside, service dept not open on saturdays.
3C9B5BA0-DCB7-4471-A139-06D4C2C86389.jpeg
57EAF563-0138-4C0C-BA1D-A44AD75D59E3.jpeg
254ADB47-67E9-4940-82F8-25BCBE737D39.jpeg
DA07EA42-E1B1-47C4-9D33-DCFDE1E22870.jpeg

Attachments

Bgunner

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford/Ranger XLT
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Tire Size
225/70/R15
My credo
If it's not broken Don't Fix It!
I went and visited it today, a lot more rain has happened since I stuck it. Im leary about even backing up to it witha trailer to offload my mulch & stone or lift it with the 3-point. I feel I better wait a few days. supposed to not rain until thursday and be in the high 80’s. I did get a few pictures, but it doesnt begin to show how wet & swampy it is. The ruts leading into the area are from the F150 that tried pulling me out. On top of all this the starter on the hhr was about to die, escape isnt back home yet so left a good part of this weeks check at autozone for a starter. I was worried about it enough this morning that I never shut it off from the time I left to check on the truck until I got home from getting a starter & had it up on ramps. At least I shouldn’t have to worry about it now. In town I saw a silver maverick at the ford lot. Escape must still be inside, service dept not open on saturdays.View attachment 77041View attachment 77042View attachment 77044View attachment 77045
You, sir, stuck her good this time....

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger XLT 4x4
Transmission
Automatic
The original discussion has disappeared. IDK.

We need some positive news. What did you do to your Ranger taday?
I replaced IAC, TPS, injectors although it's not positive news because I still have a issue with it not running properly 😂 I'll sure be happy when the truck is happy and working well. Hope everyone is having a good weekend 🤙

superj

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger edge
Engine Type
3.0 V6
Engine Size
3 liters of tire smoking power
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
Total Lift
none
Total Drop
none
Tire Size
235s
My credo
Grew up in the 70s, 80s, and 90s
Changed the oil and took the ol ranger into town. The ac still gets warm but not sitting in line, it's just random. Once I start moving above 30mph, ac comes back. But it only did it one time on the whole trip so who knows. I will have to Google a trouble shooting guide for ac

lil_Blue_Ford

TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.9L
Transmission
Manual
So I finally spent some time working on the green Ranger project. Tried extracting the one last broken bolt from the block, had to use a pipe wrench on it to get enough grip and it was slowly coming and then a couple teeth broke off the quality Chinese 8” pipe wrench. Got mad an pulled out my Rigid 12” pipe wrench and it promptly twisted off the end that I had been working on. Then I couldn’t get a good re-set bite because the china wrench mangled things. Knew I shouldn’t have bought it, but it was the first time I’ve ever come across an 8” for sale and I’m always borrowing dad’s 8” that he’s had forever when I need leverage and bite on a broken bolt or rounded nut and nothing else is working. Guess I’ll have to weld a nut on or something now.

So then I pulled the brand new timing chain cover out of the box (Allstar Performance). It was made in Mexico and looked like it was machined by a blind guy. Absolutely terrible quality. Well, maybe China made would be worse. Maybe. I cleaned off the flash from the mold when they cast it, chased the threads (since new bolts didn’t want to thread down in) cleaned up a couple scratches and distortions to the gasket surfaces, spent a bunch of time fixing the coolant passages (it was like there was a terrible fit between the mold halves and someone just shoved a piece of rebar through the hole to open it), and put the new crank seal in. Sadly, that’s about as far as I managed to get today.

JoshT

Supporting Member
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
I brought the '85 home and figured out that the/a PO is an idiot and the engine isn't locked up as I was told. Also figured out I need to buy more parts so I can figure out what is wrong with the engine.

sgtsandman

Aircraft Fuel Tank Diver
TRS Forum Moderator
U.S. Military - Active
TRS 20th Anniversary
TRS Event Participant
Ham Radio Operator
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2011/2019
Make / Model
Ranger XLT/FX4
Engine Size
4.0 SOHC/2.3 Ecoboost
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Pre-2008 lift/Stock
Tire Size
31X10.5R15/265/65R17
I’m with you on that! When I was 18 I thought it was cool because chicks dig it. But now I’m all about being as quiet as I can get it.
Same here. As long as the the radio and speakers work, I’m good. And I don’t like to blast whatever I’m listening to.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals