• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Starter issue

Dvine

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger xlt
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Oh and RonD I'm getting 25mpg average. Before exhaust replacement I was getting like 12

RonD

Official TRS AI
TRS Technical Advisor
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
OK lets do this step by step

Picture of starter motor, with relay/solenoid: https://www.idmsvcs.com/2vmod/starter/solenoidspadeterminal/PICT6197.jpg

The larger post labelled B in the picture connects directly to Battery Positive
This can be connected to battery positive at the inner fender starter relay, by both cables being on the same larger post

Picture of starter relay(often mispronounced as starter solenoid, lol): https://i.pinimg.com/736x/8d/b0/f8/8db0f8f2bc09fb31756648c36b8404b4.jpg

One of the larger posts has several wires, thats the Battery positive post, doesn't matter which one, as long as all those wires are on that one post
And one of the wires is battery positive and another is wire to the large B post on starter, if you think this cable to B is bad then replace it

Battery positive terminal-----large cable-------starter relay post---------larger cable-------------starter motor B post

That's the wiring for "spinning" the starter, this hook up needs to pass 65 amps so if it doubt replace the larger cable, both if you feel its needed

Activating the starter motor
In the starter relay picture its labelled "trigger" and has a green line, its a red/blue stripe wire
This wire has 12v with key turned to START
IF..........this relay is grounded(base screwed to metal inner fender) then when key is turned to START this relay should "click" closed(trans needs to be in Park or clutch pedal down)

When relay "clicks" closed the TWO larger posts are now connected together inside the relay
One post is battery positive(12v), so now the other post has 12v as well
The other post just has one smaller wire connected, the small red one in the picture
This smaller wire runs down to starter motors "S" post low current trigger, small post
When the "S" post gets the 12v it activates the solenoid that move the starter gear out AND it connects the two larger posts together which cause motor to spin

If the motor doesn't spin then its not connected to battery positive, so bad cable or bad relay part inside the relay/solenoid

This is a hybrid system only used for a few years
The smaller "trigger" wire on inner fender relay was extended and connected directly to the starter motors "S" post, bypassing the inner fender relay
The relay was there for several years because that one larger post with battery positive cable is the 12v distribution post for the whole vehicle
These extra wires on that post are for alternator and engine fuse box, ALL 12volt power comes from that one post

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
Sure sounds like the solenoid on the starter is bad. I know you say it works during bench testing... but it isn't working under load.

GM has used this type of solenoid forever. There is a contact internally in the solenoid that connects the path for power to reach the armature brushes. They do this because you can't start spinning the gear before the gear is engaged on the flywheel/flexplate. So the first action of the solenoid is to drive the gear to the flywheel. Once there... contacts allow power to the armature.

Dvine

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger xlt
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Sure sounds like the solenoid on the starter is bad. I know you say it works during bench testing... but it isn't working under load.

GM has used this type of solenoid forever. There is a contact internally in the solenoid that connects the path for power to reach the armature brushes. They do this because you can't start spinning the gear before the gear is engaged on the flywheel/flexplate. So the first action of the solenoid is to drive the gear to the flywheel. Once there... contacts allow power to the armature.
Since it will kick out and spin with no load, doesn't that mean the parts inside the solinoid are fine? Or it's broke just enough to work without a load but not under one? Interesting. I'm with ya on it being the starter solinoid since I can't find anything else it could be. Once I can replace the starter, again I'll let you guys know if it works. I've tried 3 (2 donors) but maybe they were all bad too. Thanks to everyone having patients with me. I don't call myself a mechanic, but I can make things better than they were.
Side note: if you try grounding the frame and firewall from the same place as your block to firewall, witch for me is the same ground used by wiper motor, it'll fry you're wipers....

Uncle Gump

Token Old Guy
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986
Make / Model
Ranger/BroncoII
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC/2.9L
2WD / 4WD
4WD
My credo
Lead follow or get out of my way
The starter draws less current freewheeling then it does loaded. Any resistance there (poor contact) could cause it not to spin when loaded. When you use your jumper you bypass the resistance and it works.

It's kinda the only thing that makes sense to me.

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Could the "bendix" be pooched. On the old ford starters with an "over running clutch drive" the inside rollers or ramp can get screwed up so that it wont spin the flywheel even if its engaged.

Dvine

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger xlt
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Could the "bendix" be pooched. On the old ford starters with an "over running clutch drive" the inside rollers or ramp can get screwed up so that it wont spin the flywheel even if its engaged.
Haven't heard of that before. It's just so odd that there's no other issues with this truck. If it's not the starter solenoid, I would think there's other things that would be wrong. As I said, I'm just going to replace the whole unit (again) and see if thet works

Dvine

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford ranger xlt
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
So here's the closure of this thread. I wanted to tow a car around and needed the ranger battery so the car would have power steering and truck died. Grabbed the exploder alternator and the key has worked just fine for over 2000 miles. Thanks to everyone, couldn't have driven my ranger this far without you guys. Next post: tranny rebuild or replace?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals